Notices

BMW F15 X5 - OEM Trailer Hitch Kit/ Brake Controller

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2017, 10:55 PM
rodneyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 155 Likes on 106 Posts
Default BMW F15 X5 - OEM Trailer Hitch Kit/ Brake Controller

Well, as others noted the F15 X5d does work with the E70 Brake Controller. I have no idea why BMW says there is no OEM brake controller for the F15 when the E70 one works fine.

By the way, I got over 20+ mpg towing my Featherlite 3110 and my 996 GT3. The F15 platform is such a nice ride, and a big improvement vs E70.

I purchased the BMW OEM Trailer hitch parts for the F15. The hitch is not the square receptacle like hitches I have seen in the past, and is an interesting design. It has two height positions, and comes with a key to lock/unlock the hitch. It is easy to take off and put on. Another plus is the hitch assembly is under the bumper and does not require any cutting like the E70.

Since I got the Brake controller after the fact I did not have the cable properly installed when the rest of the parts were installed. The plus side is it does not take up a cup holder when not in use, and I just drape the cord over the back seat to the front of the car. I don't try to hide the wire because I think of it is temporary.

The key is to get the BMW E70 controller because it comes with the cable the plugs directly into the OEM harness. Look at one of the pictures and you will see a big difference in the BMW cable vs. a generic one. I was planning to store the cable in the fuse box, but it is just too big. It probably could be done. I just disconnect the cable from the OEM harness then I am done towing.

I forgot to take a picture of the car with trailer and race car...

p.s. I never got the Prodigy RF Brake Controller to pair with this car or a few others, so I sent it back.
Attached Images        

Quick Reply: BMW F15 X5 - OEM Trailer Hitch Kit/ Brake Controller