Notices

OEM BMW X5 brake controller

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2017, 08:29 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 940 Likes on 544 Posts

400 mile round trip worked much better with the wired unit.

Name:  IMG_0420.jpg
Views: 1167
Size:  362.8 KB
Old 08-22-2017, 09:51 PM
rodneyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 155 Likes on 106 Posts

I also can confirm I got the E70 OEM Brake Controller to work with the F15. You need to get the BMW proper cable that plugs in directly into the BMW OEM trailer hitch kit. It is basically the P2 controller without saying P2. The wire is really long and big. It is simple to plug in to the wiring harness. The fuse box cover does not close well since the cable is so thick. Also, the wire is really too big to store in the fuse box area. I am sure it can be done, but it is really big. Also, it is easy to disconnect and store some where else and plug back in when in use.

It worked great. I did have the cable go overr the rear seat to the cup holder. I will post picture in a new thread.
Old 08-22-2017, 09:57 PM
Shandingo
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 47 Posts

^ Good to hear. How did it workout draping the wires over the seats or did you run the wires under the carpet? Any photos of the inside and and where you plug it in?
Old 08-22-2017, 11:00 PM
rodneyr
Three Wheelin'

Just draped over the seats. It is a really thick cable. Yes, I go have a photo where it plugs in. https://rennlist.com/forums/trucks-a...ontroller.html
Old 08-23-2017, 12:27 AM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Shandingo
^ Good to hear. How did it workout draping the wires over the seats or did you run the wires under the carpet? Any photos of the inside and and where you plug it in?
I ran it through the trunk, under the back seat, and then along the trim on the driver side. It's coiled up under the driver's mat. I drape it over the center console into the cup holder when I use it.
Old 09-30-2017, 06:05 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

3400 mile round-trip from austin to WGI went well with the wired controller. Never once had a problem. Can't say that about the RF setup I had been using previously.
Old 06-24-2018, 11:19 AM
Jon Schepps
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I realize this is an old thread, but can someone describe exactly where the OEM controller cable plugs in, presumably by the fuse panel somewhere? I can't find any 4-pin inline connector back there in my 2018 35d. A photo would be great (I can't tell from rodneyr's photo).
Old 06-24-2018, 11:30 AM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Do you have the BMW OEM hitch wiring kit installed? There is a control unit and a wiring harness that were needed to make everything functional. In that system, there is a plug, floating lose, in the passenger rear wiring compartment in the trunk. I do know that A LOT of people don't buy the wiring kit, and instead hack into other wiring to get signal and brake lights - so, if you didn't have the dealer do it, or know that you got all the OEM parts (it's a confusing list of stuff that no one seems to know), then it's possible you don't have it.
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=03_3373

Old 06-24-2018, 12:47 PM
Jon Schepps
Instructor

No, I don't have the kit installed. I'm installing a Stealth hitch, which comes with the wiring harness needed to get all the lighting signals, but I was planning on running the 4 wires needed for the brake controller myself (I've done plenty of automotive wiring). Was the 4-pin connector that the controller cable plugs into originally in the car? Or was it somehow added when you had the hitch/controller installed. My understanding is that the controller kit contains only the Takansha unit and the 4-wire cable, and the 4-pin connector that it plugs into should already be present in the car.
But I don't see one. I pulled back the black fabric tape covering the main wire bundle and still don't see it. Where's it hiding!? See my photo. Is your X5 a 2018?
Old 06-24-2018, 01:09 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

I am pretty sure it came integrated with the OEM wiring harness or the control module. It was not hiding, it was in plain sight - part of the harness that plugged into the back of the control model in the first slot (see my pic).

The control module and ECU work together to bring a few other features - stability control program changes, there is a backup camera mode for trailers, malfunctioning light detection, parking brake, etc.

My X5 is an M. Built in 2016. Unlikely anything changed in the 2018. My 2013 (prior gen) M was identical to this one.
Old 06-24-2018, 02:07 PM
Jon Schepps
Instructor

Is it possible that the 4-pin connector is provided by the wiring harness that runs to the hitch receptacle, and was not there originally from the factory? That would make sense since the e-brake signal must run to the trailer/hitch plug, and that didn't exist until you got your hitch installed. The wiring harness that comes with the hitch I ordered will also support the stability, camera zoom, lighting sensor functions etc., and I suspect it will also provide that 4-pin connector for the controller. I'll have it in a few days.
Old 06-24-2018, 04:20 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jon Schepps
Is it possible that the 4-pin connector is provided by the wiring harness that runs to the hitch receptacle, and was not there originally from the factory? That would make sense since the e-brake signal must run to the trailer/hitch plug, and that didn't exist until you got your hitch installed. The wiring harness that comes with the hitch I ordered will also support the stability, camera zoom, lighting sensor functions etc., and I suspect it will also provide that 4-pin connector for the controller. I'll have it in a few days.
I'd guess the only thing special about it is the fused power, brake 12v to the trailer is a 20amp circuit I think.
Old 06-24-2018, 09:36 PM
rodneyr
Three Wheelin'

The circle area is where the 4-pin plug goes into.
Old 06-25-2018, 10:08 AM
Jon Schepps
Instructor

I finally found a drawing of the OEM harness that goes to the hitch receptacle and sure enough, it includes the 4-pin e-brake controller connector (#6). My misunderstanding was that this connector was in the factory wiring on all X5s. Its not. Its provided as part of the hitch installation so that trailer functions get integrated into the iDrive system.
Thanks for the photos!
Old 09-11-2018, 12:20 AM
geta356
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OEM BMW X5 brake controller

rodneyr

I am having the same trouble with my Tekonsha Prodigy rf brake controller. Goes inop' with the turn signals on.
I want to install the P2 or P3 controller too. Where did you get the cable from the unit to the plug in the back. Etrailer is my vendor, and does not have the cable..

GT

Quick Reply: OEM BMW X5 brake controller