Notices
Taycan 2019-Current The Electric Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

19 y.o. Crash Test her Taycan!!!! Wow!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2024, 10:03 AM
ShiftyWolf
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Atheist
Fortunately I believe the cars in the future will be sold with software that will allow owners to limit the cars abilities when they hand the keys to their teenage kids for date night.
This is more than doable, just not done. I believe it was the original Corvette ZR1 but definitely a C6 or earlier model that had a valet mode, which reduced HP to the car. The industry as a whole just doesn't want to include these types of features.
Old 03-30-2024, 10:54 PM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Received 1,662 Likes on 1,019 Posts

Originally Posted by X-PH.COM - MIKE
Back when we were kids affordable cars could not do 0-60 in 2 seconds and it will only get worse.

Kids are still going to be kids, but the cars are not nearly the same as 30-40 years ago
it’s a wide largely flat and straight 4 lane highway without a median. 0-60 doesn’t matter. It’d have taken another 10 seconds in my youth, but so what ? Any car built since the 80s could hit 100 on it trivially. That would have happened miles back. This road design plus alcohol is unsafe. The car is pretty irrelevant
Old 03-30-2024, 10:56 PM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

This is literally the history of seat belts and MADD.
Old 03-31-2024, 09:51 AM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,601 Likes on 816 Posts

Originally Posted by Pavegeno928
This will be very common when electric cars can all do 0-60 in sub-4 and sometimes sub-3 second. This will be an unintended consequence of EVs. People can't drive slow cars well. Imagine when everyone can go supercar fast.
Which is exactly why I find it so irritating that EV makers are making their cars so fast for a public that can’t handle them. It’s one thing to reserve speed for the higher end cars, but for cheaper EV’s to be fast you are basically democratizing (and cheapening) speed and these are the consequences.

I still hold to the belief that driving fast should be an event. Not some commonplace thing that you can do with Mom’s grocery getter (see nearly every Tesla Model 3 out there )
Old 03-31-2024, 10:13 PM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tupper
Which is exactly why I find it so irritating that EV makers are making their cars so fast for a public that can’t handle them. It’s one thing to reserve speed for the higher end cars, but for cheaper EV’s to be fast you are basically democratizing (and cheapening) speed and these are the consequences.

I still hold to the belief that driving fast should be an event. Not some commonplace thing that you can do with Mom’s grocery getter (see nearly every Tesla Model 3 out there )
As a practical matter I don’t really expect this to remain a problem either. Model 3 are still expensive to median income. Tesla basically poaching old BMW 3 series demographics. Tesla are expensive in part because those are the demographics that can afford the increased cost of Bev, and they want something out of that. Not unreasonably. as battery tech improves in economic efficiency, it’ll be possible to move down and sell larger numbers of cheaper cars. And those cars are not going to be the dual motor monsters. They’ll be stripped down for cost and range.

The car here is a $200K executive sedan. It has no relevance to aggregate safety statistics. You could spend half as much and still do 0-60 in 3 seconds.

Pretty much the entire story here is that alcohol and teenagers don’t mix well
Old 04-01-2024, 01:51 AM
whiz944
Burning Brakes

Received 416 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by Tupper

The problem, and opportunity, is that buyers are demanding EVs with long range comparable to ICE cars. Thus the battery packs get ever larger. It is a natural consequence that as you add more battery capacity, the amount of power it can deliver goes up correspondingly. So in some sense, the extra power is "free" with longer range cars. (Yes some wires need to be a bit thicker, and more power transistors in the inverter(s) to handle the extra current. But it is not a huge expense.) This isn't the case in an ICE car - where you can make the gas tank as big or small as you like and the power the engine can produce doesn't change.
Old 04-03-2024, 01:54 PM
kayjh
Drifting

Received 703 Likes on 491 Posts

I didn't hear in the video that the parents bought this teen the car. It could have been the parent's car she was allowed to drive. In any event, a testament to the strength of the car's structure that everyone walked (sort of) away from this crash. Drinking and driving is a good combination.
Old 04-03-2024, 03:22 PM
yngexc
7th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow! I'm surprised/glad these kids survived!
Play stupid games win stupid prizes.
The following users liked this post:
AlexCeres (04-07-2024)
Old 05-29-2024, 03:07 PM
Pathy
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 48 Posts

How about a new law: you can't legally drive until you're 18.

How many reasons are there for people to drive under the age of 18? Very few good ones.
Old 05-29-2024, 05:19 PM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Pathy
How about a new law: you can't legally drive until you're 18.

How many reasons are there for people to drive under the age of 18? Very few good ones.
that will definitely help reduce accidents with drunk 19 year olds ...
Old 05-29-2024, 05:36 PM
pdxmotorhead
Three Wheelin'

Received 399 Likes on 297 Posts

Fairly simple to speed limit most EV's my tesla allows me to set the max speed for each driver of the car..
Dont know if the Taycan has that... Obviously it was not set in this case..
The following users liked this post:
flygdchman (05-29-2024)
Old 05-30-2024, 03:47 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 866 Likes on 571 Posts

"in a stroke of luck they all survived"
controversial IMO
Old 05-31-2024, 01:43 PM
911Königin
Rennlist Member

Received 546 Likes on 309 Posts

Originally Posted by X-PH.COM - MIKE
Back when we were kids affordable cars could not do 0-60 in 2 seconds and it will only get worse.

Kids are still going to be kids, but the cars are not nearly the same as 30-40 years ago
hmmmmmmmmmmm...............never had a Cuda/Camaro/Mustang/Firebird/Challenger

Not real sure why people have so much trouble moving over

https://fb.watch/so-jCj-Bao/

Last edited by 911Königin; 05-31-2024 at 01:45 PM.

Quick Reply: 19 y.o. Crash Test her Taycan!!!! Wow!!!