Notices
Taycan 2019-Current The Electric Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Impressive demonstration of refreshed Taycan range...

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2024, 11:05 PM
CodyBigdog
Race Car

Received 2,231 Likes on 1,264 Posts

Maybe one day, EV’s will be able to “dynamically” re-charge while driving on “electrified roads”. Efforts are already underway to demonstrate the viability of wireless charging for EV’s. Technically it’s possible, but widespread deployment of electrified roads would be a huge investment.

Financial Times -

Wireless charging offers hope for mass electric vehicle use

Trials in Germany and the US could reduce the size of batteries needed and end drivers’ ‘range anxiety’

An hour’s drive south of Stuttgart lies a modest stretch of road that may represent the future of electric vehicle charging. This kilometre-long strip in the German town of Balingen will, later this year, host the world’s first public trial of “wireless charging”. Its aim will be to show that a technology long regarded as ambitious and futuristic can now work in the real world.

https://www.ft.com/content/2401d64e-...b-9ee5d777e5e4

But if it ever came to pass, no more range anxiety….and EV’s would be able to do something ICE can’t.

https://evchargingsummit.com/blog/ev...s-ev-charging/

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 02-26-2024 at 11:12 PM.
Old 02-27-2024, 12:47 AM
M&Abanker4life
Rennlist Member

Received 179 Likes on 94 Posts

Range is good (eliminates some anxiety when traveling to remote places) but fast charging lets you get back on the road faster and more efficiently. I think there is a lot to look forward to with this new model and others to come like Macan and Cayenne
The following users liked this post:
TC Cruising (02-27-2024)
Old 02-27-2024, 01:48 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,591 Likes on 5,083 Posts

If we really wanted to minimize, or even eliminate, range anxiety, we need to franchise and privatize charging stations in the same way we do with gas stations.

Until there is a true profit incentive, charging stations will never be easily and readily accessible and available, or much less maintained properly.
M&Abanker4life (03-02-2024)
Old 02-27-2024, 08:21 AM
d00d
Rennlist Member

Received 279 Likes on 183 Posts

Perhaps your Dad would like a nice comfortable D3 S8 instead, I'm selling mine.

Charging on the road is nice in concept, but depending on your trip you can trade range anxiety for availability anxiety.
My once a week three hour plus commute between homes around 30F is fine, I can go over the speed limit keeping up with traffic, I just can't drive it like a Porsche.
Around 20F I have a choice, drive the limit and possibly get rear ended, or take a chance the EA four stall station isn't full.
Driving normally in that case and stopping to charge is about the same as going the limit, but if I get there and a Kia is taking the last stall, I've added thirty minutes or more.
So I choose the limit.

People tell me Tesla stations don't have availability problems around here, but like ipse dixit alludes to, they can also be inconveniently located in malls.
The .2 Taycan would do 150kW, where the .1 required an optional module to go above 50kW.
That's not possible anyways until the agreement takes effect next year, unless one of the forty three Magic Dock stations is on your route.
V4 stations will be able to charge at native speed.
Old 02-27-2024, 10:00 AM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 240 Posts

The obsession with range is an OEM marketing ploy. If there was fast and reliable charging available, who cares if the car will go 250 or 400 miles. My GT3 has a 16 gallon fuel tank and in blended driving does not have a great range. I never once thought about it's limited range, not once.
Old 02-27-2024, 03:50 PM
shelbyking
Banned

Received 259 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
If we really wanted to minimize, or even eliminate, range anxiety, we need to franchise and privatize charging stations in the same way we do with gas stations.

Until there is a true profit incentive, charging stations will never be easily and readily accessible and available, or much less maintained properly.
Exactly and how would you like to be "recharging" for a while in a crime ridden hell hole like DC where there were 1,000 car jackings last year.
Old 02-27-2024, 05:29 PM
d00d
Rennlist Member

Received 279 Likes on 183 Posts

EV as crime avoidance tactic, I like it.
Old 02-27-2024, 06:06 PM
CodyBigdog
Race Car

Originally Posted by shelbyking
Exactly and how would you like to be "recharging" for a while in a crime ridden hell hole like DC where there were 1,000 car jackings last year.

Years ago we had a men’s hockey tournament in SE DC. Bad area. I didn’t want to drive my car there (for good reason), so hitched a ride with our goalie. He had an Accura of some sort. When we got there he left all the windows down with the car keys in the cup holder. i asked him what he was doing?? He smugly replied, that he wanted it stolen, so he could get the insurance. He was from Jersey, To which I replied , well, if that happens, how will we get home? He hadn’t thought his plan through. When we came out that night, the car was still in the parking lot. The locals probably thought it was a police sting operation, or something.

True story.

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 02-27-2024 at 06:08 PM.
Old 02-27-2024, 06:14 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,591 Likes on 5,083 Posts

Originally Posted by CodyBigdog
Years ago we had a men’s hockey tournament in SE DC. Bad area. I didn’t want to drive my car there (for good reason), so hitched a ride with our goalie. He had an Accura of some sort. When we got there he left all the windows down with the car keys in the cup holder. i asked him what he was doing?? He smugly replied, that he wanted it stolen, so he could get the insurance. He was from Jersey, To which I replied , well, if that happens, how will we get home? He hadn’t thought his plan through. When we came out that night, the car was still in the parking lot. The locals probably thought it was a police sting operation, or something.

True story.
Nah, it was because it was an Acura.
CodyBigdog (02-27-2024)
Old 02-27-2024, 06:21 PM
CodyBigdog
Race Car

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Nah, it was because it was an Acura.

Well, there’s that…but think he made it too obvious.
Old 02-27-2024, 06:31 PM
shelbyking
Banned

True story.
That's hillarious. Maybe the hood rats aren't into Accuras.
Old 02-27-2024, 06:45 PM
CodyBigdog
Race Car

Originally Posted by shelbyking
That's hillarious. Maybe the hood rats aren't into Accuras.

Only thing that could have made it even funnier, if the locals had just stolen the car keys. 😳 😎
Old 02-27-2024, 08:00 PM
shelbyking
Banned

Only thing that could have made it even funnier, if the locals had just stolen the car keys. 😳 😎
Old 02-28-2024, 08:20 AM
CarAholic
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by kort677
the speed the car is being driven impacts the range regardless of what mode you are in.
I agree I wasn't commenting on the refresh. I was commenting on someone saying they got 280 miles out of a pre facelift turbo S at 75+

Quick Reply: Impressive demonstration of refreshed Taycan range...