Notices
Taycan 2019-Current The Electric Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Impressive demonstration of refreshed Taycan range...

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2024, 09:17 PM
audiRS4ever
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Post Impressive demonstration of refreshed Taycan range...

Hey all - just came across this video on YouTube and while I'm a bit late to the party, I think it's crazy impressive they were able to get 450mi of range.

I've heard mixed reviews from current-gen Taycan owners on whether they would recommend them yet to non-early adopter folks and a lot of that seems to boil down to range. For those of you day-to-day Taycan drivers whose opinion sits on or near the margin of that topic, does this video change your perspective at all in light of the updated car?

Context: my Dad has only ever owned ICE cars but is thinking about upgrading from his B8 Audi S4 to something newer and nicer. He's expressed some interest in EVs, but with a considerable degree of trepidation. I personally think a Taycan would be perfect for him, but I say that as a Porsche owner and EV pragmatist

Old 02-20-2024, 11:17 PM
kort677
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 252 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by audiRS4ever
Hey all - just came across this video on YouTube and while I'm a bit late to the party, I think it's crazy impressive they were able to get 450mi of range.
@ 50 mph, on flat roads in perfect conditions. these hypermile runs are nonsense. tell me what the range @ 70-75 mph is
The following 5 users liked this post by kort677:
abatis (02-21-2024), flygdchman (02-22-2024), gatorfast (02-22-2024), thigos (02-23-2024), XLR82XS (02-26-2024)
Old 02-21-2024, 12:05 AM
hitmonlee
Instructor

Received 81 Likes on 44 Posts

Will your dad be able to charge every day at home? How often does he go on long road tips? Is the Taycan going to be his only car? These're the better questions to ask.

It's possible that even the current gen's range is more than sufficient for him.

It's also possible that even the new gen's range won't be enough.
Old 02-21-2024, 04:11 PM
TC Cruising
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 60 Posts

The newly refreshed Taycan will get a legit 300+ mile range except in super cold weather, which if your Dad can re-charge at night at home, and/or takes few long road trips, would be an excellent vehicle for him. Sure would be an exciting one. I would have him go down to a Porsche dealer and get a test drive.
Old 02-22-2024, 07:17 PM
MrOhnoez
Instructor

Received 88 Likes on 45 Posts

I was able to obtain when delivering a pre facelift Turbo S to a customer around 280 miles of range while traveling at a around 75+ mph
I've seen over 300 miles of range of mainly city driven models.
The following 2 users liked this post by MrOhnoez:
Der-Schwabe (02-23-2024), TC Cruising (02-22-2024)
Old 02-23-2024, 01:10 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,792 Likes on 1,090 Posts

Originally Posted by kort677
@ 50 mph, on flat roads in perfect conditions. these hypermile runs are nonsense. tell me what the range @ 70-75 mph is
Except that it wasn't entirely. They went up and down the grape vine 2x and in rain (most of the driving was back and forth on I5 in the Central Valley which is totally flat). That road goes 0 to 4200 ft and back down. it's very steep in some places. 6% for over 5 miles.

Yes, slow speeds, but, still a super impressive result. Of course 70mph around town won't be as high, but this refresh will have a legit improvement.
The following 2 users liked this post by Spyerx:
TC Cruising (02-23-2024), wizee (02-24-2024)
Old 02-23-2024, 03:13 PM
kort677
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Spyerx
Except that it wasn't entirely. They went up and down the grape vine 2x and in rain (most of the driving was back and forth on I5 in the Central Valley which is totally flat). That road goes 0 to 4200 ft and back down. it's very steep in some places. 6% for over 5 miles.

Yes, slow speeds, but, still a super impressive result. Of course 70mph around town won't be as high, but this refresh will have a legit improvement.
back in 2012 when I bought my first EV, a nissan leaf, some of the more nerdy types would drive around their neighborhood at 18 MPH and then claim that the car could go over 100 miles on a charge. big yawn!

the point is that the hypermilers aren't realistic.

if you told me that they achieved great range driving at a variety of speeds and conditions then the results would be more relevant.

I can't dispute that the new taycan will have better range, it has to because the current car is barely acceptable as it sits now. newer cars offer a lot more range these days.
Old 02-24-2024, 08:49 AM
CarAholic
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by MrOhnoez
I was able to obtain when delivering a pre facelift Turbo S to a customer around 280 miles of range while traveling at a around 75+ mph
I've seen over 300 miles of range of mainly city driven models.
I don't believe this at all. Even in range mode at 75-80 my turbo only gets about 230-240
Old 02-24-2024, 10:03 AM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 436 Likes on 262 Posts

WHEN DRIVEN LIKE A PORSCHE IT WILL BE 15% MORE RANGE THAN CURRENT TAYCAM
when driven like a granma exppect 20%
That's all
Old 02-24-2024, 10:47 AM
CodyBigdog
Race Car

Received 2,231 Likes on 1,264 Posts

All reviews and/ or manufacturers should have the flowing disclaimer:

Actual mileage may differ from reviewer’s/manufacturer’s claims”

That settles things.

I can get both better, and worse with my EV, from what’s specified by the manufacturer/EPA..by simply going at, or above the posted speed limit, respectively. Around town, range is almost meaningless, on a long trip, an extra 50 mile range (maybe) means having to make one fewer re-charging stops. That adds, maybe, an extra 30 minutes to an 8 hour trip. The media likes to hype range, but pragmatically, it doesn’t mean a whole lot. If time is the most important metric on a long trip, take the ICE car. Longer range and shorter fill ups. I suspect most everybody on this forum has one, or two ICE cars?

I mentioned that to a neighbor who is reluctant to get a EV because he;s constantly on the road with his kids at lax tournaments. He has 4 ICE SUV’s. Four. Three drivers. I told him if he was worried, then select one of his ICE cars from his fleet of vehicles, Problem solved.

Personally, I think the most important metric for EV’s will be the day that they can fully re-charge in about the same time it takes you to fill up your ICE cars, Not 20 minutes, but 3-4 minutes. And start putting up charging stations right along the highway, at, or near existing gas stations/rest stops.

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 02-24-2024 at 11:08 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by CodyBigdog:
Pavegeno928 (02-26-2024), TC Cruising (02-24-2024)
Old 02-24-2024, 11:02 AM
TC Cruising
Instructor

The preliminary range “tests” showed that to be true with the 12 different media test results, 300+ mile range is do-able except in a driving rain day. On average, 4 out of 5 of us BEV owners pull into our garage (if we have one), hook up to our level 2 fonly about every third day. The average EV mile driven in the U.S. is just 37 miles daily.

With the “extra” 20% due the CD decreasing from 0.35 to .25, coupled with the good sized battery and other efficiency changes, except for our needing to do road trip planning (we are smart and can do that — including planning for back-up chargers), things will be fine. Not saying an occasional potential trip issue, for a trip we would have taken this summer across Montana and Wyoming (oil and gas rich areas and or nicely desolated mountains) even if our Macan EV would have arrived in time, would not have worked out efficiently. But we could do even that trip. But with a few more chargers going in even there over this next year and the conversion by next model year to the new NACS standard, so we postpone one possible trip one year — instead going this year on any one of over hundreds of other vacation road trips that will be do-able this summer.

Old 02-24-2024, 10:03 PM
kort677
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CarAholic
I don't believe this at all. Even in range mode at 75-80 my turbo only gets about 230-240
the speed the car is being driven impacts the range regardless of what mode you are in.
Old 02-25-2024, 04:56 PM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 436 Likes on 262 Posts

Shall we spend all that money for a Taycan to drive it like a Prius???

i dont give a f.. to nerds excited for a 70mph range test ,
gIve us a test where is driven like a sport car

Last edited by fxz; 02-25-2024 at 05:00 PM.
Old 02-25-2024, 05:09 PM
TC Cruising
Instructor

You might choose to read the comparative ones by Consumer Reports which tests at an average of 75 MPH. They have yet to test the new Taycan.
Old 02-26-2024, 10:35 PM
audiRS4ever
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All very interesting perspectives.

Originally Posted by TC Cruising
The newly refreshed Taycan will get a legit 300+ mile range except in super cold weather, which if your Dad can re-charge at night at home, and/or takes few long road trips, would be an excellent vehicle for him. Sure would be an exciting one. I would have him go down to a Porsche dealer and get a test drive.
He would charge at home and takes maybe 2-3 roadtrips per year +/- 2 or so that would constitute mileage beyond that range; I truly think it would be perfect for him and plan to take him to a dealer once the weather warms up a bit more.

I think a lot of EV skeptics only focus on perceived negatives without being realistic regarding their own use case; Most people don't drive enough on a daily basis to approach the max range of even the poorest offerings among current EVs. It seems common for people to over-index on range when assessing what they need despite only taking a handful of range-exceeding trips per year.

I came across an interesting thought experiment that stuck with me: we are all very used to plugging in our phones at night and waking up to a fresh charge that lasts through the day - a ritual requiring barely any effort at all. If a new phone were released that offered an alternative approach in requiring a trip to the Apple store for a quick recharge every few days, I can't imagine many would see that as an improvement.

Last edited by audiRS4ever; 02-26-2024 at 10:36 PM.
The following users liked this post:
TC Cruising (02-26-2024)

Quick Reply: Impressive demonstration of refreshed Taycan range...