Notices
Taycan 2019-Current The Electric Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should my brand new Taycan CT 4S have a NEMA 14-50 plug in mobile charger plus kit?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2023 | 01:53 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

having worked in a. corporation for 30+ years I can see how this is working it's way through the system…everyone is focusing on "the problem" - "we're melting crappy North American $12 NEMA sockets" - we have to do something! Well we need to avoid melting the sockets - let's put in a sensor and when it gets too hot we'll stop the charging - bingo that avoids the problem…

no one is stepping back to look at the big picture and asking the right question: "do we need to run that hot?"

their component is "above" reproach - because honestly and factory the problem is _NOT_ their component - their component is safe/effective/appropriate and does not fail …

but I doubt anyone is asking the "right question" - which is "Why does our component run so hot?" And "does it have to run that hot?"

sometimes it is hard to see the forest for the Trees - I'm willing to bet no one has ever asked the VW engineer(s) in charge of this (or the sub-contractor) can we make it run cooler?

the 10 AWG wire is not "wrong" - and it's perfect safe/effective as long as Porsche has the appropriate wire insulation - which it does…no one is asking them "could we change it to run cooler?"

it's probably assumed it is what it is - and there is nothing to be done…

at least that's my bet.
Old 12-24-2023 | 05:58 PM
Dr. G7
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by AlterZgo
This is insane. Can't believe Porsche cheaped (50 cts) out on a stupid wire ...
For all the hype on Porsche, BMW, Tesla, (add your favorite flavor here) it is all about $. Million $ bonus for CEOs.

Remember the famous Ford Pinto fiasco? Ford executives ran the numbers and determined it was cheaper to pay lawsuits than fix the cause of exploding gas tanks. The Pinto Memo: ‘It’s Cheaper to let them Burn!

“the cost of recalling the Pinto would have been $121 million, whereas paying off the victims would only have cost Ford $50 million.”The Pinto went into production in 1970 without the safety modifications.

https://www.spokesman.com/blogs/auto...$50%20million.

Old 12-24-2023 | 06:08 PM
Dr. G7
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche

I shared my concerns and analysis with Porsche as to their nominal operating temperature in July of 2020 - they have not responded to my inquiry.
They won’t. It is called a pocket veto.

Replying you would
a. Admit error or
b. Contradict you

Either would be admissible in court down the road.

”and it will remain the most expensive combination EVSE/toaster oven on the market”

Your sense of humor is impeccable.

The following users liked this post:
daveo4porsche (12-24-2023)
Old 12-24-2023 | 06:13 PM
Dr. G7
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by kort677
yes it should come with it, some dealers play games…
Noooo. (Egregious behavior of) Porsche dealers trying to cheat customers? Inconceivable. Impossible.
Old 12-24-2023 | 06:15 PM
Dr. G7
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche
having worked in a. corporation for 30+ years I can see how this is working it's way through the system…everyone is focusing on "the problem" - "we're melting crappy North American $12 NEMA sockets" - we have to do something! Well we need to avoid melting the sockets - let's put in a sensor and when it gets too hot we'll stop the charging - bingo that avoids the problem… .
And wake up to my Taycan is charged 40%, meeting tomorrow 125 miles.
Old 01-01-2024 | 01:44 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
The recall fix will eventually put a 220V plug in for you, apparently the 240V has been negatively interacting with the typical homes in USA.
I haven’t even taken mine out of the bag… when calling to schedule service 2yr last week the dealer asked about the charger. Said they had to check stock for the warning sticker for the service/recall.

Old 01-01-2024 | 03:10 PM
Dr. G7
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Spyerx
..the dealer asked about the charger. Said they had to check stock for the warning sticker for the service/recall.
Shortage of stickers?
Old 01-01-2024 | 03:41 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dr. G7
Shortage of stickers?
YES, seriously!

Quick Reply: Should my brand new Taycan CT 4S have a NEMA 14-50 plug in mobile charger plus kit?