Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2023 new taycan PCM replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2023, 09:50 PM
ckyr
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default 2023 new taycan PCM replacement?

I was about to purchase a new 2023 Taycan GTS and the car delivery is now on hold. I was told that vehicle failed a software update during pre-delivery inspection and it now needs a new PCM. There is no ETA for the part and they cannot sell the car. Dealer says that it happens with some Taycans apparently.
Has anyone had similar issues with their cars? Any issues with the PCM replacement?
Thanks
Old 11-30-2023, 11:51 PM
edlian
7th Gear

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I took my GTS in for a roof replacement, and they tried to install the WPN9 update on the PCM. They could not do so despite having the latest PIWIS version. Under these conditions, Porsche told the dealers that a replacement is necessary.
The following users liked this post:
ckyr (12-01-2023)
Old 12-01-2023, 12:20 AM
ckyr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by edlian
I took my GTS in for a roof replacement, and they tried to install the WPN9 update on the PCM. They could not do so despite having the latest PIWIS version. Under these conditions, Porsche told the dealers that a replacement is necessary.
interesting… How long did it take to get the part?
Old 12-01-2023, 02:41 AM
edlian
7th Gear

The PCM has been ordered, but it seems that lead time is highly variable, could be a week or even months. Not a problem for me since my PCM works fine, so they’ll email me when it gets in.
Old 12-01-2023, 10:38 AM
ckyr
Rennlist Member

Thanks @edlian . Hope my dealer can get access to the part quickly, unfortunately they cannot deliver the car without the update, which requires the new PCM...
Old 12-01-2023, 02:22 PM
edlian
7th Gear

Originally Posted by ckyr
Thanks @edlian . Hope my dealer can get access to the part quickly, unfortunately they cannot deliver the car without the update, which requires the new PCM...
Well, speak of the devil. I just got an email to say that the new PCM arrived. So they are out there, and must be prioritizing based on car status (in service shop, in port, etc.), location, and whatever else...
Old 12-01-2023, 02:34 PM
ckyr
Rennlist Member

@edlian of course! So how long was your wait?

Trending Topics

Old 12-01-2023, 03:15 PM
edlian
7th Gear

Just a week or 10 days.
Old 12-07-2023, 02:13 PM
ckyr
Rennlist Member

More that 10 days here, dealer has no info, I still cannot get delivery of the car. Very frustrating.
Old 12-07-2023, 02:50 PM
Atheist
Racer

Received 198 Likes on 113 Posts

I am the happy owner of two ICE Porsches, a 911 and a Cayenne. I have been lurking around the Taycan forum just to see the comments of electric Porsche owners as I consider the next vehicle to purchase for my wife. So far the Audi and Porsche EVs are the only ones that seem appealing to me, quality, style and performance wise. I must say stories like these have me thinking it might be better to wait and see where this EV thing goes as between the charging issues and rapidly changing technology involved, I'm pretty hesitant to jump on the EV bandwagon. I do appreciate those who are willing to experiment and take the chances on this. Maybe for me, it might be best for some of these bugs to get worked out. Especially since for the same kind of money you can purchase a world class ICE Porsche at the peak of proven efficient ICE technology. Not to mention the lack of trust I have here in California where the government is trying to force the issue. I would like to ask, if you had it to do over without regard for gas savings, is the Taycan the Porsche you prefer to drive over say a Panamera or 911? I sincerely am curious as the cost of gas doesn't seem like a motivating factor when looking at cars that run from $150K to $200K and depreciate quickly.
Old 12-07-2023, 07:30 PM
thebishman
Burning Brakes

Received 421 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by Atheist
I am the happy owner of two ICE Porsches, a 911 and a Cayenne. I have been lurking around the Taycan forum just to see the comments of electric Porsche owners as I consider the next vehicle to purchase for my wife. So far the Audi and Porsche EVs are the only ones that seem appealing to me, quality, style and performance wise. I must say stories like these have me thinking it might be better to wait and see where this EV thing goes as between the charging issues and rapidly changing technology involved, I'm pretty hesitant to jump on the EV bandwagon. I do appreciate those who are willing to experiment and take the chances on this. Maybe for me, it might be best for some of these bugs to get worked out. Especially since for the same kind of money you can purchase a world class ICE Porsche at the peak of proven efficient ICE technology. Not to mention the lack of trust I have here in California where the government is trying to force the issue. I would like to ask, if you had it to do over without regard for gas savings, is the Taycan the Porsche you prefer to drive over say a Panamera or 911? I sincerely am curious as the cost of gas doesn't seem like a motivating factor when looking at cars that run from $150K to $200K and depreciate quickly.
I can’t speak to whether a Porsche owner would prefer to drive a Taycan versus a Panamera or 911; I strongly suspect it depends on what your needs are with the car; daily driver versus occasional canyon carver versus long distance tourer, etc.

As for current BEVs I just sold my ‘19 Audi etron which had been bulletproof and picked up a ‘24 BMW iX M60. Yes, it’s a quirky looking thing but which can grow on you quickly. However the M60 is a genuine 300 mile EV in decent weather at an average of 70 mph at 100% SoC, and some owners are getting close to 400 miles out of the iX 50 in the same scenario.

Yes, next year stats will probably be even better, but it’s sort of like buying an LG OLED TV; next year’s will always perform better than this year’s, but if you keep waiting you’ll never end up buying one! lol
The following 2 users liked this post by thebishman:
ckyr (12-07-2023), kort677 (12-08-2023)
Old 12-07-2023, 09:18 PM
edlian
7th Gear

Originally Posted by Atheist
I would like to ask, if you had it to do over without regard for gas savings, is the Taycan the Porsche you prefer to drive over say a Panamera or 911? I sincerely am curious as the cost of gas doesn't seem like a motivating factor when looking at cars that run from $150K to $200K and depreciate quickly.
I went from. Panamera GTS to a Taycan GTS because I got tired of the periodic and expensive oil changes, and because it was 10 years old and starting to need expensive component replacements. What I really like about the Taycan is the freedom from periodic maintenance (fluids and brakes). It turns out that charging at home is really convenient, much better than going to a gas station. The other thing that I like is that the Taycan is a much more nimble car. Acceleration is always available and can be modulated precisely. Braking is likewise excellent and well modulated. The Taycan has similar exterior dimensions to the Panamera, but feels much smaller behind the wheel.

Energy costs have gone down enormously, but this wasn’t what I bought the Taycan for. However, I’ve become much more willing to just leave the car on when waiting for someone, for preconditioning the interior, etc. I’d never have done this in the Panamera. Plus, you can’t do this in a garage safely.

So yes, I’d do it again,
The following 4 users liked this post by edlian:
AlterZgo (12-09-2023), Der-Schwabe (12-08-2023), flygdchman (12-07-2023), kort677 (12-08-2023)

Quick Reply: 2023 new taycan PCM replacement?