Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

USED EV SALES WAY UP, SURPASS NEW

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2023, 05:18 PM
Zhao
Drifting

Received 1,827 Likes on 997 Posts

I think taycans are doing pretty good for resale, even the panamera isn't bad compared to a lot of the competition. Anyone ever look at a 7 series bmw or S class merc resale?

But i do think we're closing in on a slowdown of EV adoption. The fanatics already have made the jump long ago. The current crop of people jumping on board EVs really don't care about them and keeping them and rebuying them hinges on EVs working for their life style. A lot of people now buying them lack true believer fanatic status to stick with EVs despite their faults so I am not surprised the used market is seeing high turnover.
Old 11-19-2023, 08:09 AM
Option7
Track Day

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Hoping battery modules will last at least 8-10 years...

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Used Taycan prices are basically neck and neck with used Maserati prices.

Like most EVs nowadays, the Taycan has become a disposable lease specials. No one (figuratively speaking) buys these things. Lease, return, rinse and repeat.

Yes, even with the stupid rates PFS is offering on leases, it still makes sense -- finnancially and otherwise -- to lease a Taycan. You don't want to be stuck with one of these thins long-term and having to unload on the open market. The depreciation will be tougher to take than the lease rates.
I just bought a CPO 2021Taycan and love the car. I don't drive it much since I have 3 other vehicles. My dealer told me the cost to replace a battery module in the Taycan is $1719.00 plus about 20 hours of labor ($6-7K). The service manager could not be more specific since he has not had to replace a module yet. One battery module has 12 cells in it and there are 13 modules in the base model Taycan from what I've been told.
I'm hoping for the best since I usually keep my Porsche's forever unless they get in a bad accident which has happened on at least one occasion. The big question is going to be... how long will these battery modules last? Worst case if they will only replace an entire module and all 13 modules eventually need to be replaced then we are talking at least $30K if you replace all the modules at once. Pretty steep price to get back full range but in 10 years maybe a 2033 Taycan will cost $200K+ so $30K would be a deal! My Porsche dealer did say it is likely all EVs will become disposable vehicles because of high battery replacement costs and doesn't recommend keeping any EV past the warranty. I guess I'm going to find out... Hopefully it won't be too painful after warranty. My cars are like my children so they are given whatever they need to stay perfect. I hope my Taycan doesn't make me wish I adopted a different child...
I'm anticipating many years of joy before that painful, out of warranty, "you need all your battery modules replaced" conversation with my service advisor sometime after Jan/2030.

Last edited by Option7; 11-19-2023 at 08:21 AM.
Old 11-19-2023, 08:42 AM
Option7
Track Day

Default Taycan long term value...

Originally Posted by bluelines1974
Exactly right. It's so bizarre that people are surprised that a $150k sedan doesn't hold its value, particularly in the case of the Taycan when they have the direct comparison of the Panamera to see how this story plays out. It's also odd that people are so fixated on range and future battery tech being the main driver of this. I'm pretty confident a Taycan will hold its value better than the ultra-long-range Lucid Air, or a Model S, regardless of the range disparity. People aren't buying Taycans to do cross-country journeys, any more than they are buying any other car to do so. It's just not the main driver of the purchase for buyers of these kinds of luxury products.
I do think you're right that Taycan values will be better than Tesla's for sure. Tesla's build quality is terrible compared to Porsche so I expect my 2021 Taycan to age quite gracefully in the next 10-15 years. I don't really care about resale value but I am a bit nervous about a potential balloon payment of $30K to $40K to replace all the battery modules in as little as 8 years. This is why I purchase my cars not just for functionality but their beauty as well. I believe the Taycan is the prettiest sports sedan on earth when you also take into account the build quality and the engineering behind the platform.
A friend of mine who owns a limo service and puts 100K miles a year on his cars just replaces all 5 battery packs on two of his Model S sedans at a $36K each. That's actually not bad for all the miles he puts on these cars but the build quality is inferior to a Porsche so after 200K to 300K miles I couldn't imagine these Tesla's being anything but a rattling collection of EV auto parts. I'll be surprised if I put more than 70K miles on my Taycan by 2030 so my battery modules will die from old age not overuse.
Old 11-19-2023, 12:59 PM
thebishman
Burning Brakes

Received 429 Likes on 253 Posts

Option 7: I think if you minimise DCFC charging and only routinely charge to 80% SoC at home on your L2 charger, your Taycan battery should last a very long time and maintain most of it’s capacity absent anything failing in it.

Enjoy the car!
The following users liked this post:
Option7 (11-19-2023)
Old 11-19-2023, 04:06 PM
Option7
Track Day

Originally Posted by thebishman
Option 7: I think if you minimise DCFC charging and only routinely charge to 80% SoC at home on your L2 charger, your Taycan battery should last a very long time and maintain most of it’s capacity absent anything failing in it.

Enjoy the car!
Thanks for the tips! My wife & I love the car (which she mostly drives) since I'm flying just about every week for business. It should be very easy for us to only charge up to 80% and minimize the DC fast charging to extend the life of the batteries since we won't put more than 150 miles per week on the car on average.
I was told not to use the 120v charging cord in the garage except in an emergency but I'm wondering if that's better than DC fast charging in the interim for the next few months until I can get an electrician to run 220v into my detached garage. I was thinking of setting the 120v charger timer to just charge for no more than 8 hours each night to add a few miles to top up to 80% since the car usually sits for several days a week especially when I'm out of town.
I really appreciate your guidance since this my first foray into EVs.
I'll likely buy a traditional ICE Porsche in 2024 which I'll use for longer trips and only use the Taycan around town for errands, going to dinner and worst case to LA & back for entertainment.
The Taycan is really the perfect car for us. It's the only 4 door sports car she was excited by. The Panamera was just a little too big for her at 5'2", 110lbs... Every 4 door sports sedan from Mercedes & BMW was too boxy. Taycan was an easy sell to get her onboard!

Last edited by Option7; 11-19-2023 at 04:08 PM.
Old 11-22-2023, 02:00 AM
Fantasmos
Instructor

Received 93 Likes on 39 Posts

I am after a 2022 Taycan 4S CT. Prices 2nd hand are great. I mostly wonder what if they come up with some new battery tech to hold more charge or charge significantly faster to make it impossible to resell. Right now the 3y leases are ending and it’s full of Porsche dealers selling them for like 80k eur which is inly fair depreciation for a four door. Covid hype is kinda gone.
Option7 (11-22-2023)
Old 11-22-2023, 02:25 AM
Option7
Track Day

Default Just trying to find out the worst case cost for a new set of batteries after warranty

Originally Posted by Fantasmos
I am after a 2022 Taycan 4S CT. Prices 2nd hand are great. I mostly wonder what if they come up with some new battery tech to hold more charge or charge significantly faster to make it impossible to resell. Right now the 3y leases are ending and it’s full of Porsche dealers selling them for like 80k eur which is inly fair depreciation for a four door. Covid hype is kinda gone.
The big question that will impact Taycan values is what the cost will be after 8 years or 100K miles to replace the entire set of battery modules. If the cost is much more than an ICE motor replacement at $35K to $40K then I would expect resale value of the Taycan to drop like a rock. A Tesla model S costs $35K to replace all 5 battery packs so if Porsche charges more than $35K for every 100K miles compared to Tesla charging $35K for 150K miles then Porsche EVs will be looked at as disposable vehicles. If on the other hand the Porsche battery design lasts far longer than a Tesla battery overall so worst case you only have to replace 1 or 2 modules (out of 13) that don't last 10-15 years at a cost of around $7K per module then Porsche EVs would actually still be worth it to replace several modules to get another 8+ years. I hope this ends up being the case. Keeping my fingers crossed...
GT3 Mike (11-23-2023)
Old 11-22-2023, 10:33 AM
Fantasmos
Instructor

Received 93 Likes on 39 Posts

Not quite sure I prefer replacing 3-4 modules. They charge a lot each time if not under warranty and replacing these takes time. We got couple of Taycan Turbo S cars in the office which had their batteries replaced. They were first models, preordered the moment the model was announced. Battery repair took 6months. Now few years later I am sure this process is improved but still it’s not a quick swap for sure. I prefer a full battery failure and a new one while under warranty for sure
Option7 (11-22-2023)
Old 11-22-2023, 03:54 PM
Option7
Track Day

Default Replacing one, several or all battery modules...

Originally Posted by Fantasmos
Not quite sure I prefer replacing 3-4 modules. They charge a lot each time if not under warranty and replacing these takes time. We got couple of Taycan Turbo S cars in the office which had their batteries replaced. They were first models, preordered the moment the model was announced. Battery repair took 6months. Now few years later I am sure this process is improved but still it’s not a quick swap for sure. I prefer a full battery failure and a new one while under warranty for sure
From what I was told by my Porsche dealer he says it takes about 20 hours to replace a single module but not sure how long it would take to replace additional modules at the same time. I hope to god I don't run into this problem with my 2021 Taycan delivered in 1/5/22 but if I do I'm trying to get my head around the cost to replace all 13 modules of they all fail after 8 years & 100K miles worst case. Also I wonder if you get another 8 years 100K miles for any/every new battery module you pay for after warranty has expired. I would hate to find out my Taycan is worthless if they tell me it's $50K or more to replace all battery modules outside of warranty making the vehicle effectively disposable. I have the costs for one module replacement but not multiples. I surely would rather replace all the modules at one time rather than get bled to death replacing each module as they fail.
I'm more worried about burning down my house from a battery failure due to age, overcharging or an accident which compromises the integrity of the modules.
I'm still learning about my Taycan and EVs in general so your knowledge & insights are extremely valuable and appreciated. Thank you.
Old 11-22-2023, 04:43 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 12,011 Likes on 5,234 Posts

Originally Posted by Option7
The big question that will impact Taycan values is what the cost will be after 8 years or 100K miles to replace the entire set of battery modules. If the cost is much more than an ICE motor replacement at $35K to $40K then I would expect resale value of the Taycan to drop like a rock. A Tesla model S costs $35K to replace all 5 battery packs so if Porsche charges more than $35K for every 100K miles compared to Tesla charging $35K for 150K miles then Porsche EVs will be looked at as disposable vehicles. If on the other hand the Porsche battery design lasts far longer than a Tesla battery overall so worst case you only have to replace 1 or 2 modules (out of 13) that don't last 10-15 years at a cost of around $7K per module then Porsche EVs would actually still be worth it to replace several modules to get another 8+ years. I hope this ends up being the case. Keeping my fingers crossed...
How many owners of either a Taycan or Panamera actually keep their cars more than 8 years?

If that number is any less than 20%, then that metric is largely irrelevant.
Old 11-22-2023, 05:12 PM
Option7
Track Day

Default Taycan values after 8 years?

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
How many owners of either a Taycan or Panamera actually keep their cars more than 8 years?

If that number is any less than 20%, then that metric is largely irrelevant.
It is still important to Porsche because they would prefer to get every Taycan they sell or lease back before they are out of the federally mandated 8 year, 100K warranty so they can replace the batteries and get one more sale at the end of it's life. For people that collect cars and keep them for 20 or more years it is important even though you are probably right that a small percentage of people keep any car that long. Even my Porsche dealer was very adamant to say you should trade the Taycan in before the battery warranty expires because EVs will become disposable because of the high cost to replace batteries. This is likely true but it will hurt the resale value of Taycan's if just a few people begin to realize Porsche Taycan's have a huge balloon payment looming after 8 years. The batteries could last 12-15 years or 3-5 years as I've been advised in several posts. The EV landscape still has a lot of unknowns but at 63 I'm just hoping my Taycan outlasts me. I know my 2000 Boxster or any other ICE Porsche I buy in the coming years will increase in value long after I'm dead & gone 20-30 years later with less than 100K miles on any one of them. EVs are like horses. They are a luxury and a bad investment at this point unless it's an emotional purchase or you'll get 200K to 300K on it inside the warranty period. Like horses, if you don't ride them enough they will eventually get old & die just like EV batteries. Tesla's will tank in value when it still costs $36K or more to replace batteries that aged out with low mileage. Who's going to pay that much to replace batteries on a cheaply made platform after 8-10 years. Not many. Porsche's are vehicles many people get attached to because of their beauty, performance & engineering.
I will just have to wait and see. For now, my Taycan is an expensive but beautiful golf cart to drive around town, to the beach & shopping but my backup will always be an ICE Porsche!
Old 11-23-2023, 12:08 AM
flygdchman
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

Thanks for the tips! My wife & I love the car (which she mostly drives) since I'm flying just about every week for business. It should be very easy for us to only charge up to 80% and minimize the DC fast charging to extend the life of the batteries since we won't put more than 150 miles per week on the car on average.
I was told not to use the 120v charging cord in the garage except in an emergency but I'm wondering if that's better than DC fast charging in the interim for the next few months until I can get an electrician to run 220v into my detached garage. I was thinking of setting the 120v charger timer to just charge for no more than 8 hours each night to add a few miles to top up to 80% since the car usually sits for several days a week especially when I'm out of town.
I really appreciate your guidance since this my first foray into EVs.
I'll likely buy a traditional ICE Porsche in 2024 which I'll use for longer trips and only use the Taycan around town for errands, going to dinner and worst case to LA & back for entertainment.
The Taycan is really the perfect car for us. It's the only 4 door sports car she was excited by. The Panamera was just a little too big for her at 5'2", 110lbs... Every 4 door sports sedan from Mercedes & BMW was too boxy. Taycan was an easy sell to get her onboard!
Did they say why not to use the 120v charging? I think that it would be even better for the the battery than the 220. Its just inefficient and takes forever.
Old 11-23-2023, 12:43 AM
Option7
Track Day

Default 120v charging

Originally Posted by flygdchman
Did they say why not to use the 120v charging? I think that it would be even better for the the battery than the 220. Its just inefficient and takes forever.
I haven't got a good answer yet. I would think it would be considered a trickle charger but Porsche has stated in their literature that 120V charging should only be done in an emergency and never for more than 12 hours.
As long as you have a 20A outlet in your garage with the proper 20A receptacle I can't imagine why it would be bad for the Taycan battery. After all it is a Porsche branded charger. I'm an electrical engineer so I don't get why you can't keep the vehicle plugged in with a timer set to no more than 12 hours each night to top off your battery to 80-85% max which is another bit of advice given by Porsche to extend the life of the batteries. Hopefully I will find an actual electrical engineer at Porsche who can tell me why you should never charge more than 12 hours at 120V. Until then I will take their advice and only use it in emergency to get enough charge to safely make it to the charging station.
It may also have something to do with the 12 volt battery which has its charge maintained by the main battery when the main battery is at 50% or greater. I recently tested this out to see how/if the 12v battery lost any charge when the car sat in the garage for two weeks while we were on vacation. The battery stayed at exactly SOC where we left it 2 weeks earlier but I've found on several blogs that if you keep the 120V charger connected for days & days it will keep the electronics in the car "awake" and using power from the 12v battery that runs the "brains" of the vehicle. I'd bet Porsche doesn't want you bringing the vehicle home at less than 50% SOC and going away for weeks because the software likely does not maintain the 12v battery charge once the main battery is below 50% as they say you should never do for long periods of storage. I'm also told that it is bad to leave the vehicle fully charged to 90-100% because this will also reduce the life time of the main battery as well.
I will update the community if I get any new information about 120V charging and long term battery life and battery replacement costs. I can live within the new parameters Porsche has set after the Taycan and their other EV's have provided a learning experience to optimize their batteries for life time as well as safety.
I surely don't want to see my house get burned down because I decided not to follow Porsche guidelines on charging. They would know best.
Old 11-23-2023, 02:53 AM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Received 1,703 Likes on 1,041 Posts

the batteries will last more than a decade, easily. The original model S batteries have, and Porsche’s have vastly better thermal management and are over provisioned (that 18% of the pack you don’t have access to is a buffer for longevity). Even when the batteries do degrade, it will be slowly. It’s not an ice motor that explodes. It’ll be 95% of original range, then 90, 80, etc. used car buyers simply need to adjust their offer based on the range, as you might for any kind of issue in a used car purchase.

it’s likely not cost effective to replace the battery pack on a 12+ year old EV, any more than it is to rebuild the engine on a 12 year old BMW sedan. This whole concern is kinda ridiculous. If you can’t afford a new car every 12+ years, then you’re buying too expensive a car, and certainly not a Porsche.
The following 2 users liked this post by AlexCeres:
Der-Schwabe (11-23-2023), Zcd1 (11-23-2023)
Old 11-26-2023, 11:05 AM
flygdchman
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

I haven't got a good answer yet. I would think it would be considered a trickle charger but Porsche has stated in their literature that 120V charging should only be done in an emergency and never for more than 12 hours.
As long as you have a 20A outlet in your garage with the proper 20A receptacle I can't imagine why it would be bad for the Taycan battery. After all it is a Porsche branded charger. I'm an electrical engineer so I don't get why you can't keep the vehicle plugged in with a timer set to no more than 12 hours each night to top off your battery to 80-85% max which is another bit of advice given by Porsche to extend the life of the batteries. Hopefully I will find an actual electrical engineer at Porsche who can tell me why you should never charge more than 12 hours at 120V. Until then I will take their advice and only use it in emergency to get enough charge to safely make it to the charging station.
It may also have something to do with the 12 volt battery which has its charge maintained by the main battery when the main battery is at 50% or greater. I recently tested this out to see how/if the 12v battery lost any charge when the car sat in the garage for two weeks while we were on vacation. The battery stayed at exactly SOC where we left it 2 weeks earlier but I've found on several blogs that if you keep the 120V charger connected for days & days it will keep the electronics in the car "awake" and using power from the 12v battery that runs the "brains" of the vehicle. I'd bet Porsche doesn't want you bringing the vehicle home at less than 50% SOC and going away for weeks because the software likely does not maintain the 12v battery charge once the main battery is below 50% as they say you should never do for long periods of storage. I'm also told that it is bad to leave the vehicle fully charged to 90-100% because this will also reduce the life time of the main battery as well.
I will update the community if I get any new information about 120V charging and long term battery life and battery replacement costs. I can live within the new parameters Porsche has set after the Taycan and their other EV's have provided a learning experience to optimize their batteries for life time as well as safety.
I surely don't want to see my house get burned down because I decided not to follow Porsche guidelines on charging. They would know best.
So I have been using a 120 charger for our EV and after I posted this we needed to go to my MIL's house for Thanksgiving which meant we needed to get a fuller charge. What I realized is that with 120 you will hang out a larger SOC longer because it is slow to charge. So that is one downside that I can see with using 120.