Sponsored by:

From the producers of Big Brother

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2023, 04:01 PM
b787fo
Intermediate

Received 27 Likes on 8 Posts
Default From the producers of Big Brother

Anyone read the Forbes’ article “Stop California’s Grand Auto Power Theft” about legislation to mandate bidirectional charging — whereby the state can decide to reverse charge your car if they determine the grid needs the power more than you do?
Old 08-19-2023, 10:04 AM
Mr_Marty
Instructor

Received 113 Likes on 63 Posts

Only California could come up with such a stupid idea.
The following 2 users liked this post by Mr_Marty:
ThomasCarreraGTS (08-19-2023), XLR82XS (08-29-2023)
Old 08-19-2023, 10:29 AM
justabout
Rennlist Member

Received 321 Likes on 235 Posts

somehow I managed to delete the comment I was responding to, the poster made an assertion florida somehow controls home HVAC usage

please tell me where in florida and how florida can control home HVAC units.

Last edited by kort677; 08-20-2023 at 11:14 AM.
Old 08-19-2023, 11:24 AM
MingusDew
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,243 Likes on 626 Posts

Lots of dumb performative legislature is proposed in every state. I doubt this goes anywhere.
Old 08-20-2023, 03:38 PM
j.w.s
Intermediate

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

I did read the article (or tried - it's not actually a Forbes article at all) but more importantly I read the actual text of SB33, which is why I know that it does ABSOLUTELY NOTHING OF THE SORT.

The bill directs the legislature to:
1) Require that cars support bi-direcctional charging as a feature.
2) Directs the CA energy commission to "convene a stakeholder workgroup to examine challenges and opportunities associated with using an electric vehicle as a mobile battery to power a home (vehicle-to-home) or building (vehicle-to-building) or providing electricity to the electrical grid (vehicle-to-grid)"

In other words, California wants to push car makers to enable bi-directional charging so that: a) You can use your car as a backup power source if you want to and b) You can, if you so desire, sell electricity back to the power company if they offer to pay you enough.

Nothing in the bill, or the author's discussion, nor any other discussion of this topic recently even hints at forcing you, the citizen, to sell electricity. Analogously, California forced electricity companies to buy Solar power from consumers who want to sell it, but never forced anyone to sell power they didn't want to. Largely as a result, California went from having too little juice in the afternoon to having more than enough and needing somewhere to stuff it (batteries).

So please stop the "only California would do something so stupid" knee-jerk rhetoric unless and until you actually read the text. California is in fact doing something very much in the interest of individual citizens.

Last edited by j.w.s; 08-21-2023 at 01:22 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by j.w.s:
johnarpy (09-17-2023), pjazz (08-21-2023), thebishman (08-20-2023)
Old 08-20-2023, 04:08 PM
justabout
Rennlist Member

Received 321 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by justabout
somehow I managed to delete the comment I was responding to, the poster made an assertion florida somehow controls home HVAC usage

please tell me where in florida and how florida can control home HVAC units.
The programs in Florida are voluntary and they provide a discount if allowed to adjust your power usage during peak demand. They are specific to the utility that provides the electricity. In the early days, during the heating season they nearly caused an outage in some areas because they shutdown heat heat pumps, which put the home temperature out of tolerance which caused the unit to engage an electric resistance heater upon startup. I have relatives that live there.

They override the home thermostat. Not sure if done through Wi-Fi or phone connection.

Last edited by justabout; 08-20-2023 at 04:24 PM. Reason: More info
Old 08-20-2023, 07:22 PM
vanlieremead
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 212 Posts

They override the home thermostat. Not sure if done through Wi-Fi or phone connection.
A shut off relay is added to the compressor circuit that is activated by microwave. I had it in WI. I added a load management system in AZ that would limit draw during peak times.

Old 08-20-2023, 11:03 PM
kort677
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 257 Likes on 165 Posts

The programs in Florida are voluntary and they provide a discount if allowed to adjust your power usage during peak demand. They are specific to the utility that provides the electricity. In the early days, during the heating season they nearly caused an outage in some areas because they shutdown heat heat pumps, which put the home temperature out of tolerance which caused the unit to engage an electric resistance heater upon startup. I have relatives that live there.

heating season in FL? in almost all of the state that isn't very long, the potential for power issues here in FL is this time of year and AC usage.
I have not seen or heard of any such program in any part of FLA that I've lived in.
your post made it seem like it was common and mandatory

Quick Reply: From the producers of Big Brother