Sponsored by:

New Owner Observations and Questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2023, 02:00 PM
hfm
Three Wheelin'

Received 85 Likes on 49 Posts
Default New Owner Observations and Questions

Took delivery of a 2024 Taycan GTS Sport Turismo Friday 8/12/23. I upload a redacted build sheet in case it gives anyone a reference for their build.

So, I had a $10k repair / mainentance bill for my 2014 Cayenne GTS that triggered this purchase. I managed to get that bill down to $4k plus a bit less than $2k for tires but, I realized I needed a new car under warranty to replace the 10 year old daily. As luck would have it, someone had just passed on a freeze point reached but still configurable GTS ST allocation. As you can see from the build sheet, I picked all the performance options, daily interior options and skipped frills including some the kid in me would have liked such as the HUD. PCNA needs to let us buy metal roof cars like you can in Europe so we don't have to spend $3.3K on variable roofs or limo tint just to stay in the shade. From approximately May 24, 2023 build lock, it took about two and a half months for build and delivery.

The car ride quality is better than my Cayenne in normal setting. It's amazing how stable it is and, how fast you can go through curves but you can absolutely feel the weight, of course. With this set up, is freakish how fast you can go through a off ramp circle and, you realize you really need to check your speed before you enter or, you're going faster than you would like and by the time your in, you know you don't want to hit the brakes during the cornering even though you feel like you should. The acceleration is effortless. I haven't mashed the petal yet in earnest with launch control though I've pushed and, its rapid, as fast or faster than a 2015 GT3. I found setting an independent setting with recuperate will slow the car down when you pull off throttle if there is a car ahead of you that I like given there are no paddles to downshift. Normal mode just lets you coast and, you're having to tap brakes when you find yourself in traffic.

Yesterday, drove from Porter Ranch to Newport Beach which was approximately 125 miles round trip excluding detours. Starting from 85% my wife and I got to our destination, the Crab Cooker no problem. Wanting to try the free 3 years of Electrify America charging, we went to the Newport Beach 350kw location and, found every spot occupied. We figured instead of waiting we'd try another one along the way back. We hit Culver City finding every working spot occupied and, other spots out of order. Our next stop was near Century City at a Gelsons and found every spot occupied and waiting not really an option. Next, in Van Nuys, there were three cars stacked up waiting. So, we drove home and, after all the detours, we got home with about 6% charge and 18 miles of range remaining having failed 4 of 4 stops. Still wanting to try the EA experience, later that evening after the car was charged to 50% we drove out to Santa Clarita which was a significant distance and, got a spot that worked for someone else, did not work for us and got a message indicating the charging port had some sort of an issue, moved into another spot after a fellow I briefly chatted with left and, filled up to 90% after 30 minutes, drove home returning at 80% SoC. We learned if you're in the wild and, need to charge, you just have to find a spot and, wait - there is no going to another location because it will be the same or worse and, range will become an issue. And, this is in CA where it is no doubt worse most everywhere else. Most of my drives will not be as far and, charging will take place at home but, this first EA experience was eye-opening. We're going to need charging access like we have gas stations today and, infrastructure is a decade or two away,

So, here are my questions. (1) can you set the sound constantly on in normal mode so you don't have to set it every time you start the car? My solution maybe just to have that set in independent and, select that each startup I suppose. (2) is there a longer cable, the portion that connects to the plug, available for the charger connect? I'm waiting on my SA to answer this as I had my solar guys install the plug clearly in the wrong spot.

In summary, the car performs as expected, it's amazing. A long distance trip will be interesting in the future and, other than longer court/deposition appearances, the 10 minute drive to and from work without the $100+ weekly gas bill will be a nice change.

Dan (will post some photos maybe from or after PPF)

Attached Images
The following users liked this post:
AlexCeres (08-13-2023)
Old 08-13-2023, 02:09 PM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Skipping the $100 gas bill is nice. It’s such a fantastic urban commute vehicle. The HOV stickers are also quite enjoyable at rush hour.
Old 08-13-2023, 07:35 PM
d00d
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 184 Posts

Electric Sport Sound can be set to always on in Individual, and is so in Sport Plus mode.
Old 08-14-2023, 12:32 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,797 Likes on 1,094 Posts

I last fast charged in May. Today i ended up at fashion island (same spot you tried) which is near our place, wife needed to hit the shops, so i say “well lets roll the dice” and there was a spot open, and it worked. 35-80% in about 15 minutes.. when i went to move the car after 20 mins, there were 4 cars waiting. All units used. 1 or 2 out of service.
Tho, the units at fashion island seem to top off at 125 max even though several are 350. I’ve seen this every single time I’ve charged there. Buddy with a taycan has confimed same.

Anyway, fast charging, if you NEED it is fine, it’s generally not very convenient, and sometimes has issues. It’s the worst thing about the car.

I just home charge most of the time, i don’t really road trip the taycan.
Old 08-14-2023, 02:51 AM
whiz944
Burning Brakes

Received 424 Likes on 288 Posts

Note that there are DC Fast Charging networks and stations other than EA. Other big ones include ChargePoint and EVgo, but there are others. Use Plugshare (either web site or phone app) to find them. Folks put reviews on each charging site as well. So you can read if particular sites tend to be broken or full.

Plugshare, and ABRP, are essential tools when planning EV road trips.
The following 2 users liked this post by whiz944:
daveo4porsche (08-14-2023), pjazz (08-18-2023)
Old 08-14-2023, 12:26 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by whiz944
Note that there are DC Fast Charging networks and stations other than EA. Other big ones include ChargePoint and EVgo, but there are others. Use Plugshare (either web site or phone app) to find them. Folks put reviews on each charging site as well. So you can read if particular sites tend to be broken or full.

this, and setup accounts beforehand. I have evgo and charge point setup as "plan B" when EA is operating in its normal way (ie not working).
The following users liked this post:
daveo4porsche (08-14-2023)
Old 08-14-2023, 05:21 PM
hfm
Three Wheelin'

Went for some Bingsoo in Ktown yesterday and, there was a ChargePoint in the parking garage though we did not need to use it. I've downloaded apps for EA, CP, PS I think after having read one of Dave's posts, but haven't set them up yet. I'll do that before a long Santa Barbara, San Diego, Bakersfield or San Fran trip as a back up for EA. Didn't know about ABRP, I have the Porsche option as well as Apple Map option available for trip planning and, will learn about them when a trip is being planned. Impressed that ABRP shows chargers at my local Whole Foods. Will probably go back and read USC's Vegas trip and, other threads about trip planning. Thanks for your suggestions.

Dan (probably wont be using chargers often)
Old 08-14-2023, 05:36 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

the car navi will show various providers, but you have to turn off the filter to only show porsche charging service (at least last I fiddled with this)
Apple Maps when I tried it a couple months ago was only showing me EVGO
ABRP you can fully customize which networks and speeds

Once you get used to this it's not really a big deal, but it's an extra thing to be mindful of... with gas cars you don't really think about it LOL
Old 08-14-2023, 05:52 PM
hfm
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Spyerx
the car navi will show various providers, but you have to turn off the filter to only show porsche charging service (at least last I fiddled with this)
Apple Maps when I tried it a couple months ago was only showing me EVGO
ABRP you can fully customize which networks and speeds

Once you get used to this it's not really a big deal, but it's an extra thing to be mindful of... with gas cars you don't really think about it LOL
Just downloaded an App for Flo EV. Looks like there are free EV charge points near my office and, that this app ties in with a bunch of the other services.

Dan (appreciates all comments)
Old 08-15-2023, 09:47 AM
kayjh
Drifting

Received 708 Likes on 494 Posts

thanks for posting your experience. I currently have a 2021 Cayenne GTS and was looking at Taycan. In Canada, a nicely equipped GTS ST with luxury tax is over $200,000 CAD (pulse 13% sales tax). That is a lot of money for a local commuter that will need to be charged at home every night or face challenges like the ones you shared above. Not only do you have to find a working charging point, but with more and more EVs being sold each year, you have to consider the lineups that may start to develop at those stations.

For road travel, for me that means a 700 km range (400+ mile) from going 80% to 20% capacity in cold weather. There aren’t any cars out there right now that can deliver that. Many owners say range anxiety shouldn’t be a concern, but I’m not sure I can agree, until we see a dozen charging points at every current gas station, with well maintained infrastructure.

I don’t mind spending $200,000 on a car but I want to be able to hop in it and drive from Calgary to Vancouver knowing, like in a ICE vehicle I can make the trip stopping once or twice along the way with the ability to recharge quickly without delay, as needed.
Old 08-15-2023, 10:53 AM
whiz944
Burning Brakes

Received 424 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by hfm
Went for some Bingsoo in Ktown yesterday and, there was a ChargePoint in the parking garage though we did not need to use it. I've downloaded apps for EA, CP, PS I think after having read one of Dave's posts, but haven't set them up yet. I'll do that before a long Santa Barbara, San Diego, Bakersfield or San Fran trip as a back up for EA. Didn't know about ABRP, I have the Porsche option as well as Apple Map option available for trip planning and, will learn about them when a trip is being planned. Impressed that ABRP shows chargers at my local Whole Foods. Will probably go back and read USC's Vegas trip and, other threads about trip planning. Thanks for your suggestions.
Plugshare is charging network agnostic. It lists just about every public charging location known to exist. If you find one that isn't listed, you can add it. It has been owned by EVgo for the past year or so, but is still true to its mission. It has some trip planning functions, but not as comprehensive as ABRP.

ABRP is also charging network agnostic, using Open Charge Map (https://map.openchargemap.io/) for its charging station data. It primarily uses DC Fast Charging for its routing calculations, though one can also use L2 locations.

Many times PlugShare knows about locations that Open Charge Map doesn't, and sometimes vice versa. (PlugShare has been around a lot longer.) Both are crowd-sourced databases. So if you find an interesting location on one that isn't on the other, you can add it yourself.

Dan (probably wont be using chargers often)
There is that. Being able to charge at home is truly a game changer in convenience. On the road, one wants options.
The following 2 users liked this post by whiz944:
daveo4porsche (08-15-2023), thebishman (08-15-2023)
Old 08-15-2023, 12:33 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,020 Likes on 2,291 Posts

I'm a realtor so I drive a lot, like 500-600 miles a week. I use 2 local EA charging stations as I'd doing my rounds and while I wait to charge I bring my laptop so I can be productive. Never had any issues with connecting to any of the chargers in the either location. I use EA to charge 50-60% of the time and the rest of the time I use my Level 2 charger at home because I have a bunch of solar. I was telling Spyerx that the Taycan would be a perfect car if it had a range of 300-350 miles. I'm hoping the Macan EV has a range over 300+ miles when it comes out. I also have a Taycan GTS ST coming but it's been constantly delayed and now it's been sitting at the Houston port for about a week when it comes I'll be picking it up at PEC LA sometime in the fall.
The following 2 users liked this post by usctrojanGT3:
daveo4porsche (08-15-2023), TheDangerZone (08-24-2023)
Old 08-15-2023, 02:53 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,872 Likes on 1,886 Posts

Plugshare is charging network agnostic. It lists just about every public charging location known to exist. If you find one that isn't listed, you can add it. It has been owned by EVgo for the past year or so, but is still true to its mission. It has some trip planning functions, but not as comprehensive as ABRP.

ABRP is also charging network agnostic, using Open Charge Map (https://map.openchargemap.io/) for its charging station data. It primarily uses DC Fast Charging for its routing calculations, though one can also use L2 locations.

Many times PlugShare knows about locations that Open Charge Map doesn't, and sometimes vice versa. (PlugShare has been around a lot longer.) Both are crowd-sourced databases. So if you find an interesting location on one that isn't on the other, you can add it yourself.

There is that. Being able to charge at home is truly a game changer in convenience. On the road, one wants options.
plugshare is "yelp" for EV charging - great resourced to see if chargers have recent "customers"
Old 08-15-2023, 06:22 PM
Zcd1
Racer

Received 135 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by kayjh
thanks for posting your experience. I currently have a 2021 Cayenne GTS and was looking at Taycan. In Canada, a nicely equipped GTS ST with luxury tax is over $200,000 CAD (pulse 13% sales tax). That is a lot of money for a local commuter that will need to be charged at home every night or face challenges like the ones you shared above. Not only do you have to find a working charging point, but with more and more EVs being sold each year, you have to consider the lineups that may start to develop at those stations.

For road travel, for me that means a 700 km range (400+ mile) from going 80% to 20% capacity in cold weather. There aren’t any cars out there right now that can deliver that. Many owners say range anxiety shouldn’t be a concern, but I’m not sure I can agree, until we see a dozen charging points at every current gas station, with well maintained infrastructure.

I don’t mind spending $200,000 on a car but I want to be able to hop in it and drive from Calgary to Vancouver knowing, like in a ICE vehicle I can make the trip stopping once or twice along the way with the ability to recharge quickly without delay, as needed.
interesting comments.

There’s ONE use-case where your Cayenne has a clear advantage over a Taycan GTS ST - long road trips with fewer stops.

The other 85+% of the time, the Taycan’s responsiveness, ride, handling and the fact that it can be refilled overnight while you sleep at a fraction of the cost of fuel for your Cayenne makes the Taycan the clear choice for many.
Old 08-15-2023, 07:10 PM
kayjh
Drifting

Received 708 Likes on 494 Posts

Originally Posted by Zcd1
interesting comments.

There’s ONE use-case where your Cayenne has a clear advantage over a Taycan GTS ST - long road trips with fewer stops.

The other 85+% of the time, the Taycan’s responsiveness, ride, handling and the fact that it can be refilled overnight while you sleep at a fraction of the cost of fuel for your Cayenne makes the Taycan the clear choice for many.
I totally agree, but everyone’s use is a bit different. Many people who commute or travel more than 150 km out and back in the same day will face these problems. We just bought a year round lake house 110 km from our city home. We’ll use it in the winter on some weekends. The weather here can be -35C (-30F) at night in January. So our new place has a heated garage with 100A service and I’ll install a L2 charger. Without that, in the winter, I’d feel better taking a gas powered vehicle.

Quick Reply: New Owner Observations and Questions