Sponsored by:

Considering Taycan 4S

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2023, 02:11 PM
Thaddh
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering Taycan 4S

Is there much difference between the 2020 4S and 2021 4S? I am looking at 10k miles or less.

What must have feature do you recommend?

I have owned a couple of 911's and Cayenne's and have also had Tesla Model S and X. For those that have had both Model S and Taycan how do you compare the 2?

Thanks in advance.

Old 06-20-2023, 04:10 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,968 Likes on 1,926 Posts

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/th...5/#post-249474
Old 06-20-2023, 11:01 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Thaddh
Is there much difference between the 2020 4S and 2021 4S? I am looking at 10k miles or less.

What must have feature do you recommend?

I have owned a couple of 911's and Cayenne's and have also had Tesla Model S and X. For those that have had both Model S and Taycan how do you compare the 2?

Thanks in advance.
only difference between 2020 and 2021 is:
  1. no plug&charge support in 2020 Taycan
    1. plug&charge support can be retrofitted - but is $5k approximate cost +/- not worth IMHO
  2. HUD was not an option on 2020 Taycan
  3. 19.2 kW onboard charger for North America was not an option for 2020
other than that nothing - I would not let those 3 things hold me back from a 2020.
Old 06-20-2023, 11:06 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

For those that have had both Model S and Taycan how do you compare the 2?

Thanks in advance.
same Journey - tesla victim since 2013 (5 Tesla's until 2020) - 2020 Taycan Turbo - Love it - pros/cons - better car than Tesla, but a less better EV than Tesla - trade off's but i like that the brakes don't suck and it's better made…
  • Innodrive - meh - not as good as Tesla Autopilot - but ACC/ALK work ok when I want them to
    • but no there near Tesla's "quality" but Autopilot is dangerous and people rely on it too much
    • in my experience in North America Innodrive is too quick to slow down for real/imagined speed zone changes - I've had it disabled since purchase - and use ACC
    • Active Lane Keeping works ok but will disengage with no warning (chime) and can't follow roads I know for a fact my 2018 Model 3 Performance had no problems with…so "meh"
  • RWS - yes it helps get it
  • Glass is great - makes an already quiet car next level quiet…
welcome - you'll love it - but it's more an EV take from a traditional sports car company vs. a take on what a car should be from a software company - different pros/cons - there is no perfect.

Porsche makes a great car and a mediocre EV
Tesla makes a great EV and a mediocre car
Porsche is as good at mechanical engineering as Tesla is at software
Tesla is as good at mechanical engineering as Porsche is at doing software

the two companies have different focuses.
The following 6 users liked this post by daveo4porsche:
Der-Schwabe (06-21-2023), Dr. G7 (06-23-2023), Drifting (06-25-2023), flygdchman (06-21-2023), MingusDew (06-21-2023), Toybox (06-21-2023) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-21-2023, 12:10 PM
Thaddh
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is the plug and charge support?
Old 06-21-2023, 02:24 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

What is the plug and charge support?
when fast charging at Electify America you can just park and plug in and the vehicle will start charging with no additional effort/action on your part - when it works.

if you do not have plug&charge (or it's not configured with your account information) fast charging requires you to plug-in the vehicle, and then "activate" the charging session either via the charging'stalls screen & point of sale card reader, or via a separate app on your phone…

2020 Taycan's do not have plug&charge support - 2021's and later do.
The following 2 users liked this post by daveo4porsche:
Dr. G7 (06-23-2023), Thaddh (06-22-2023)
Old 06-23-2023, 06:15 PM
Dr. G7
Three Wheelin'

Received 324 Likes on 265 Posts

2020 was "first" year. Wanna be a guinea pig? As in "They're asking for students to be guinea pigs in their research into the common cold."
Old 06-23-2023, 06:17 PM
Dr. G7
Three Wheelin'

Received 324 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche
when fast charging at Electify America you can just park and plug in and the vehicle will start charging with no additional effort/action on your part - when it works.
Emphasis on when it works. Catch my drift?
The following users liked this post:
daveo4porsche (06-23-2023)
Old 06-24-2023, 07:54 AM
PickledRamps
Track Day

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche
same Journey - tesla victim since 2013 (5 Tesla's until 2020) - 2020 Taycan Turbo - Love it - pros/cons - better car than Tesla, but a less better EV than Tesla - trade off's but i like that the brakes don't suck and it's better made…
  • Innodrive - meh - not as good as Tesla Autopilot - but ACC/ALK work ok when I want them to
    • but no there near Tesla's "quality" but Autopilot is dangerous and people rely on it too much
    • in my experience in North America Innodrive is too quick to slow down for real/imagined speed zone changes - I've had it disabled since purchase - and use ACC
    • Active Lane Keeping works ok but will disengage with no warning (chime) and can't follow roads I know for a fact my 2018 Model 3 Performance had no problems with…so "meh"
  • RWS - yes it helps get it
  • Glass is great - makes an already quiet car next level quiet…
welcome - you'll love it - but it's more an EV take from a traditional sports car company vs. a take on what a car should be from a software company - different pros/cons - there is no perfect.

Porsche makes a great car and a mediocre EV
Tesla makes a great EV and a mediocre car
Porsche is as good at mechanical engineering as Tesla is at software
Tesla is as good at mechanical engineering as Porsche is at doing software

the two companies have different focuses.

I would love to move to a Taycan, and nearly did so earlier this year (4S). However, we have one car and the difference in the charging network is so extreme that it kept me with my 2020 Model S for now.

In no way am I suggesting that the two are in any way comparable in build and refinement. However, some of the criticism of Tesla build quality has been addressed with the newest Model S. And with the newest track package so too have some of the braking and performance issues on the Plaid. And of course there was the recent Nürburgring performance.

I do intend to trade my car in the next year and my intent to for a Taycan 4S. However given the above on a Model S Plaid, the charging network, the software, and probably a a $50k difference in price tag is there any argument to be made to move to a new Plaid. I mean as a vehicle not as an EV.

Last edited by PickledRamps; 06-24-2023 at 08:06 AM.
Old 06-24-2023, 12:17 PM
MingusDew
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,243 Likes on 626 Posts

Originally Posted by PickledRamps
I would love to move to a Taycan, and nearly did so earlier this year (4S). However, we have one car and the difference in the charging network is so extreme that it kept me with my 2020 Model S for now.

In no way am I suggesting that the two are in any way comparable in build and refinement. However, some of the criticism of Tesla build quality has been addressed with the newest Model S. And with the newest track package so too have some of the braking and performance issues on the Plaid. And of course there was the recent Nürburgring performance.

I do intend to trade my car in the next year and my intent to for a Taycan 4S. However given the above on a Model S Plaid, the charging network, the software, and probably a a $50k difference in price tag is there any argument to be made to move to a new Plaid. I mean as a vehicle not as an EV.
When it comes to the driving experience, the car itself, I mean, everyone’s personal experience and perception of these things as a problem or not is really for an individual to decide imho. I have my opinion of what I want and enjoy in a car, and I can sit here and **** all over Teslas and how little I care for their driving experience, build quality and every other complaint you’ve heard a thousand times before, but absolutely none of that should change your own experience and perception of what you like and enjoy. Some people like small 2 seat sports cars and lust after a more engaging and dynamic experience, while others want big SUV with screens on everything, and it’s perfectly okay for people to like one, the other, or even both. However, if SUV person comes to sportscar person and asks, “what should I get, what is perfect to you?” The sportscar person may, if they don’t know or consider this other person’s wants/needs, recommend a sportscar. Now the SUV person gets offended, “why don’t you like the same thing as me and validate my opinion,” as is natural when person ties identity to things, or maybe they are influenced by this other opinion and decide to buy the thing they don’t want/need, then they aren’t happy with it because they’re buying something for someone else, someone who doesn’t know them as well as they know themselves. I guess I say all this to just say, if you like the new Tesla and can’t find yourself ready to leave that cult and come join this cult, that’s okay 😊
Dmakhija (01-21-2024)
Old 06-24-2023, 01:54 PM
PickledRamps
Track Day

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MingusDew
When it comes to the driving experience, the car itself, I mean, everyone’s personal experience and perception of these things as a problem or not is really for an individual to decide imho. I have my opinion of what I want and enjoy in a car, and I can sit here and **** all over Teslas and how little I care for their driving experience, build quality and every other complaint you’ve heard a thousand times before, but absolutely none of that should change your own experience and perception of what you like and enjoy. Some people like small 2 seat sports cars and lust after a more engaging and dynamic experience, while others want big SUV with screens on everything, and it’s perfectly okay for people to like one, the other, or even both. However, if SUV person comes to sportscar person and asks, “what should I get, what is perfect to you?” The sportscar person may, if they don’t know or consider this other person’s wants/needs, recommend a sportscar. Now the SUV person gets offended, “why don’t you like the same thing as me and validate my opinion,” as is natural when person ties identity to things, or maybe they are influenced by this other opinion and decide to buy the thing they don’t want/need, then they aren’t happy with it because they’re buying something for someone else, someone who doesn’t know them as well as they know themselves. I guess I say all this to just say, if you like the new Tesla and can’t find yourself ready to leave that cult and come join this cult, that’s okay 😊

This is exactly the way view it as well. I am neither an advocate nor a detractor of Model S. I have always wanted to get into Porsche for obvious reasons. I am a sport sedan person; ideally hatch or wagon. I don't see the Model S and Taycan as quite as far apart as an SUV and 718, but point well taken. Anyway, if EA was not completely awful it would be a no brainer. May consider a Panamera hybrid in the meantime.
Dmakhija (01-21-2024)
Old 06-26-2023, 10:26 AM
CarAholic
Rennlist Member

Received 198 Likes on 119 Posts

Wouldn't think twice to jump into a 2020 taycan. As other said plug and charge isn't available which to me didn't matter. There was supposedly a battery chemistry change between 2020 and 2021. With the 8 year warranty on the battery this didn't matter to me. With all that being said I would not bother with a 4S just jump into a turbo. At this stage they are a much better value proposition then the 4S plus they typically have way more options then the listed 4S's.
Old 06-26-2023, 10:43 AM
RingoDingo
Advanced

Received 71 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by CarAholic
With all that being said I would not bother with a 4S just jump into a turbo. At this stage they are a much better value proposition then the 4S plus they typically have way more options then the listed 4S's.
A fair argument against a Turbo? The 4S has more than enough power for daily driving in legal conditions and even in some illegal ones. And if you're a skilled enough driver to make use of the extra power on a track, God bless you - go for it. All of that said, the only time I thought "gee, I wish my 4S had more power" was when I was being goaded into doing something truly stupid by some knuckledragger in a 392 Charger or something. I'd still probably get a Turbo given how much they've depreciated (and thus become great values), but something to consider...
Old 06-26-2023, 12:17 PM
CarAholic
Rennlist Member

Received 198 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by RingoDingo
A fair argument against a Turbo? The 4S has more than enough power for daily driving in legal conditions and even in some illegal ones. And if you're a skilled enough driver to make use of the extra power on a track, God bless you - go for it. All of that said, the only time I thought "gee, I wish my 4S had more power" was when I was being goaded into doing something truly stupid by some knuckledragger in a 392 Charger or something. I'd still probably get a Turbo given how much they've depreciated (and thus become great values), but something to consider...
Couldn't agree more the 4S is way more then enough power for anywhere. It's just used values don't make sense to me on a 4S. Typical turbos are only priced around 10k more then a 4S on the used market now a days. To get the higher spec and all the options I wanted it was a not brainer for me. On top of that majority of 4S's don't have a lot of the good options.
Old 06-27-2023, 11:23 PM
flygdchman
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

Could you be so kind and list the difference in the options that a turbo would have that a 4S wouldn't?

TIA

Quick Reply: Considering Taycan 4S