Sponsored by:

Considering Taycan 4S

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2023, 01:24 AM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,968 Likes on 1,926 Posts

Originally Posted by flygdchman
Could you be so kind and list the difference in the options that a turbo would have that a 4S wouldn't?

TIA
first off more stuff is standard on Turbo - but I believe people are suggesting a Turbo is less likely to be be a "stripper" version and the previous owner "added" more options...so from that perspective the avg. turbo build will have more "stuff" than the average "4S" build

the options list is identical across the line.
Old 07-01-2023, 10:05 AM
Mustache Science
Track Day

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

OP, I had a pretty similar vehicle history to you before I dipped into a 2020 4S when they first released, then switched over to a 2022 CT4.

I was an early Tesla S adopter in 2013, got a Model X in 2018, and Model 3 for my spouse in 2019. I honestly still am a fan of Tesla, and their ability to prove the market wrong and demonstrate EV's as viable is honestly why we are here talking about a Taycan. That said, their level of refinement doesn't come close to a Porsche.

Driving a Model S around feels like a weighty speed boat and with the air suspension, you really notice a lot of body roll through turns. The Taycan feels like a planted Porsche, and it's incredible they can keep the vehicle of this weight feeling so light when driving. Coming from a Tesla, the first thing you will notice is how much the car feels more like a traditional auto experience versus an EV experience. One pedal driving isn't really a thing, and it took a little getting used to at first. The interior quality is also just a world above anything Tesla can produce.

On Tesla's side, the tech is much better than the Porsche, but I find the Porsche isn't bad, and to be honest, who buys a Porsche for the software?

Differences in 2020 to later models is minimal, with the main difference being the plug & charge as other's have mentioned. When I got my 2022 CT4, I was really excited to try this out and have road tripped the car extensively, but can count the number of times on both hands I have successfully gotten a charge after plugging in. I still usually have to initiate the charge via the app, which is fine. The reality is you will rarely need to use any sort of public charging system day to day if you are able to charge at home. However, when you do need to hit the road, I much prefer roading tripping my CT4 to my Model 3. The range is way better than advertised, and the charging speeds blow away Tesla.

In April, my friend and I road tripped from West Texas to San Diego. I was with my family in the CT4, and he was in his Model 3 Long Range. Stops along the route were mostly identical, and I made to our beach rental a full hour before he did, with the difference being entirely charging time. So much fuss is made about range, but the Porsche exceeds its EPA range, and on road trips, charging speed matters way more.

Ultimately, if a 2020 is on your radar, go for it. CPO prices are way down across the board, and most remain low mileage with 5 years remaining on the all important battery warranty, likely much longer than most folks on the board hold onto a car for.
The following 3 users liked this post by Mustache Science:
daveo4porsche (07-01-2023), Der-Schwabe (07-02-2023), flygdchman (07-02-2023)

Quick Reply: Considering Taycan 4S