Sponsored by:

Possible Porsche Mobile Charger Plus issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2023, 02:48 PM
YHC
Advanced

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Possible Porsche Mobile Charger Plus issue

I know that many Taycan owners are not a fan of Porsche Mobile Charger Plus but I've been using it without any issue for over four months until now.
Last two times I've used it, it tripped my 50A breaker after charging it for about two hours at 8.7 KW, I've never got it over 9.0KW
Can a bad charging unit be the cause to trip the circuit breaker?
Can a decent electricain find the issue whethe it be the circuit breaker or charger itself?
I am running 14-50 Nema outlet with 6 gauge wires.
Old 06-15-2023, 03:01 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,872 Likes on 1,886 Posts

it's most likely the charger.

as far as not getting "over" 9.0 kW that's standard - there are two kW's at play during a charging session there is the raw kW comign from the wall socket (9.6 kW 240V @ 40 amps) and the amount of power/energy being added to the battery (8.6 kW on my 2020 Taycan Turbo) - Porsche in car software reports the latter (power being added to the battery) rather than the "raw" power - the difference is the loss/overhead in charging (AC/DC conversion and other vampiric losses in the the electron's travels from your wall socket to to the internal maze that is the modern LiON battery).

I wouldn't waste any money on having an electrician check anything untill you've confirmed a problem with another EVSE (EV charger).

Recommend purchasing any one of the followign excellent alternative EVSE's and being much happier:The Chargepoint, Wallbox, Tesla Wall Connector, Juice box are all adjustable from 12-48 amps - and can be hardwired _OR_ plug based - if plug based they are limited to 40 amps (50 amp breaker) w/NEMA 14-50/6-50 plug.

the PMC+/PMCC is not a quality product and really honestly a terrible EVSE. Get something else for problem free usage. There is a long history of the PMC+/PMCC being flaky and having problems - see the thread below for overwhelming data about it's problems.

all of the products listed above are high quality. compatible, and vastly better and more reliable products than the PMC+/PMCC - and also plug&play - in that they can come with exactly the same type of power supply plug you already have installed (NEMA 14-50 or 6-50 240V outlet).

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/th...cc-pwcc.13886/

Last edited by daveo4porsche; 06-15-2023 at 03:11 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by daveo4porsche:
duffNation (06-18-2023), Pool Shark (06-15-2023), YHC (06-15-2023)
Old 06-15-2023, 03:32 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by YHC
I know that many Taycan owners are not a fan of Porsche Mobile Charger Plus but I've been using it without any issue for over four months until now.
Last two times I've used it, it tripped my 50A breaker after charging it for about two hours at 8.7 KW, I've never got it over 9.0KW
Can a decent electricain find the issue whethe it be the circuit breaker or charger itself?
I'm rocking 3 Tesla Wall Chargers Gen2 (2 x J-1772 & 1 x NACS connector) - sharing a 100 amp circuit (80 amps of charging load) - and I can charge 3 x EV's at the same time splitting 80 amps or 1 EV @ 48 amps - or 2 Ev's at 40 amps each…

it works reallly really well and is a price/quality leader at $550 for it's feature set.

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/th...-review.13163/
The following 2 users liked this post by daveo4porsche:
duffNation (06-18-2023), YHC (06-15-2023)
Old 06-15-2023, 06:35 PM
YHC
Advanced

I am going to buy one of these chargers that you recommened and see if that solves the issue.
If not, I will have my electrician check the 50A breaker and the lines.
Thank you for your comments.
The following users liked this post:
daveo4porsche (06-15-2023)
Old 06-15-2023, 06:39 PM
Pool Shark
7th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche
I'm rocking 3 Tesla Wall Chargers Gen2 (2 x J-1772 & 1 x NACS connector) - sharing a 100 amp circuit (80 amps of charging load) - and I can charge 3 x EV's at the same time splitting 80 amps or 1 EV @ 48 amps - or 2 Ev's at 40 amps each…

it works reallly really well and is a price/quality leader at $550 for it's feature set.

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/th...-review.13163/
Thanks for sharing your experience! I was wondering whether any Taycan owners have used the Tesla Wall Charger without issue.
daveo4porsche (06-15-2023)
Old 06-15-2023, 07:29 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Pool Shark
Thanks for sharing your experience! I was wondering whether any Taycan owners have used the Tesla Wall Charger without issue.
this simple wire/plug will turn any hardwired'd EVSE into a plug based unit

Amazon Amazon

get the 10ft version

make sure to set the EVSE to 50 amp breaker/40 amp charge rate - when running with a NEMA 14-50/6-50 plug the EVSE should be set to 50 amp breaker 40 amp charge rate - cable is not rated for any more than 50 amps.

but yeah - this is a great way safe/effective to make a hardwired EVSE (like the Tesla wall charger) a "plug in model"

I"m running my Wall chargers with this plug-wire - no issues. Hardwiring is also an option - but this makes it super easy to "try out" a charger, and you can move to 60 amp hardwired version later if everything works out.

the Neutral wire will be unused - all EVSE's in North America are 3-wire "affairs" - 2 hots + ground - the Neutral is unused in the 14-50 plug - which is why 6-50 works just as well as 14-50 as a plug type.

this cable is great - AWG 6 wire for the two "hots" (overspec for 50 amps) and AWG 8 wire for the neutral (unused) and ground - it's overkill for the task and will provide decades of safe use hours at a time at a full 9.6 kW charging load.

Last edited by daveo4porsche; 06-15-2023 at 07:34 PM.
Pool Shark (06-15-2023)
Old 06-15-2023, 07:41 PM
Pool Shark
7th Gear

I did not future proof my set-up like yours to have multiple cars charging. I had the electrician install a single 60 amp breaker in my main box and ran 6 gauge wire to the garage for my Tesla Wall Charger to get the max 48A to my Model 3. Now as I consider potentially getting a second EV, I'm working through the scenario of scheduling charging times between the cars OR do I go the route of getting another dedicated EVSE. But more to your earlier post, do I simply get a second Tesla Wall Charger instead of one of the other brands.

Trending Topics

Old 06-15-2023, 08:42 PM
Dr. G7
Three Wheelin'

Received 322 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by YHC
About maxing out the circuit. Of course, the breakers could be weak (or getting weak) too. A decent (or indecent) electrician can place a camp on ammeter to check max current draw.

Edit: "an ammeter to check max current draw" might not work. Unlike most applications, the current draw of the Taycan (or any EV) is not constant. A bewildering algorithm of battery temperature to current state of charge will constantly monitor and change the current draw. As other replies (especially daveo4porsche) have indicated, they are with much more experience with the "wonderfully reliable" Porsche Mobile Charger...the culprit might be the said charger.

Last edited by Dr. G7; 06-15-2023 at 09:39 PM.
Old 06-15-2023, 08:43 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

I did not future proof my set-up like yours to have multiple cars charging. I had the electrician install a single 60 amp breaker in my main box and ran 6 gauge wire to the garage for my Tesla Wall Charger to get the max 48A to my Model 3. Now as I consider potentially getting a second EV, I'm working through the scenario of scheduling charging times between the cars OR do I go the route of getting another dedicated EVSE. But more to your earlier post, do I simply get a second Tesla Wall Charger instead of one of the other brands.
get the 2nd wall charger and wire it into the same breaker- you can then configure them to "share" the load and it will "just work" - you will be so much happier - plug them both in and let the dynamic load sharing work it out over night..both cars will charge no problem - and when only one car is charging it will get full 48 amps - when both are charging they will each get 24 amps

your electrician should be able to "split" the load a the EVSE end of the wire run by adding a junctionbox and then running power-load wires from the junctionbox to each Tesla Wall charger (it also could be a DIY thing if you're handy with AC power - it's only 3 wires and 3 couplings to add the 2nd EVSE)

I would also ask him about local building code and see if AWG 6 wire can handle a 70/80 breaker - breakers are cheap and easy to swap if the wire is already run - and that would give you a bit more amp's to split between the two chargers (each Tesla EVSE can only do 48 amps, but they can split up to 300 amps amount upto 6 Wall chargers) - so if you can bump the breaker you'll have more capacity to split when charging multiple EV's even though the wall chargers themselves max out at 48 amps each).

it works slick...

$550 for a load sharing EVSE is best price/value/quality in the industry right now - hard to go wrong - you can even mix/match J-1772 and normal Tesla/NACS plug chargers as long as they are all gen3 chargers - I have 2 J-1772 chargers, and 1 Tesla/NACS charger - all work equally well with our with out TeslaTaps

when friends/famliy visit I routinely charge 3 EV's all at the same time with no drama (other than obvious reduction in charging speed when all 3 EV's are splitting the available 80 amp capacity.)

Last edited by daveo4porsche; 06-15-2023 at 08:57 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by daveo4porsche:
Pool Shark (06-15-2023), whiz944 (06-16-2023)
Old 06-15-2023, 09:14 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dr. G7
About maxing out the circuit. Of course, the breakers could be weak (or getting weak) too. A decent (or indecent) electrician can place a camp on ammeter to check max current draw.
I agree with all of this - but given the PMC+/PMCC's history the 99% odds on favorite is the sh*tty Porsche EVSE and the circuit is fine.
Dr. G7 (06-15-2023)
Old 06-15-2023, 09:38 PM
Dr. G7
Three Wheelin'

Received 322 Likes on 265 Posts

I agree with all of this - but given the PMC+/PMCC's history the 99% odds on favorite is the sh*tty Porsche EVSE and the circuit is fine.
You are correct. My comments to the OP have been amended. Thank you.
Old 06-15-2023, 09:38 PM
Pool Shark
7th Gear

get the 2nd wall charger and wire it into the same breaker- you can then configure them to "share" the load and it will "just work" - you will be so much happier - plug them both in and let the dynamic load sharing work it out over night..both cars will charge no problem - and when only one car is charging it will get full 48 amps - when both are charging they will each get 24 amps

your electrician should be able to "split" the load a the EVSE end of the wire run by adding a junctionbox and then running power-load wires from the junctionbox to each Tesla Wall charger (it also could be a DIY thing if you're handy with AC power - it's only 3 wires and 3 couplings to add the 2nd EVSE)

I would also ask him about local building code and see if AWG 6 wire can handle a 70/80 breaker - breakers are cheap and easy to swap if the wire is already run - and that would give you a bit more amp's to split between the two chargers (each Tesla EVSE can only do 48 amps, but they can split up to 300 amps amount upto 6 Wall chargers) - so if you can bump the breaker you'll have more capacity to split when charging multiple EV's even though the wall chargers themselves max out at 48 amps each).

it works slick...

$550 for a load sharing EVSE is best price/value/quality in the industry right now - hard to go wrong - you can even mix/match J-1772 and normal Tesla/NACS plug chargers as long as they are all gen3 chargers - I have 2 J-1772 chargers, and 1 Tesla/NACS charger - all work equally well with our with out TeslaTaps

when friends/famliy visit I routinely charge 3 EV's all at the same time with no drama (other than obvious reduction in charging speed when all 3 EV's are splitting the available 80 amp capacity.)
Last year I'm pretty sure I had this conversation with the electrician on whether putting in a larger breaker and running 4 gauge wire (to future proof) would be more suitable, but I figured that one EVSE would be adequate. And so based on that, he said that 6 gauge was fine for the 60 amp breaker but nothing higher. I suppose load sharing and charging at 24 amp each would be acceptable and the Model 3 would drop from 44 miles of range/hour charge to 22 miles.
Old 06-15-2023, 09:51 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Last year I'm pretty sure I had this conversation with the electrician on whether putting in a larger breaker and running 4 gauge wire (to future proof) would be more suitable, but I figured that one EVSE would be adequate. And so based on that, he said that 6 gauge was fine for the 60 amp breaker but nothing higher. I suppose load sharing and charging at 24 amp each would be acceptable and the Model 3 would drop from 44 miles of range/hour charge to 22 miles.
the good news here is it's truly dynamic load sharing - it will start out splitting the load, but as the load drops or decreases from one of the EVs being charged it ramps up the remaining EV to get all the load - so it always charges "as fast as possible" based on the actual load at the moment - not just because something is "plugged in" and idle...

trust me it works super slick - you'll be happy…

when I'm charing my Taycan at 48 amps - my Cayenne also charges at a full 30 amps (it's max load) keeping both EVSE's under the 80 amp budget - so it's not just a dump/static split - if you stagger the charging scheudles - Tesla starts at 11 pm - and Taycan "finishes by 6 am" - it's very likely neither car will be charging at the same time and both will get a full 48 amps - but if htey both need to charge at the same time based on usage - it will "just work".

Last edited by daveo4porsche; 06-15-2023 at 09:57 PM.
Pool Shark (06-16-2023)
Old 06-16-2023, 01:02 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,797 Likes on 1,094 Posts

I have a 60a circuit but I run a 50a breaker to the EVSE hard wired Chargepoint, set for a 40a charge rate. My circuit run is really long with 2 junction points, so just prefer to be more conservative.

Anyway, very happy with the Chargepoint unit. It just works, app experience is solid, and I feel the cable/handle/plug are really good quality.

The following 2 users liked this post by Spyerx:
daveo4porsche (06-16-2023), Pool Shark (06-16-2023)
Old 06-16-2023, 02:34 PM
YHC
Advanced

Thank you all for your comments.
I just placed an order for Juicebox 40, and I wil report back once I get it.
The following 2 users liked this post by YHC:
daveo4porsche (06-16-2023), Pool Shark (06-16-2023)

Quick Reply: Possible Porsche Mobile Charger Plus issue