Sponsored by:

GTS vs. Turbo S

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2023, 11:14 AM
bluelines1974
Rennlist Member

Received 408 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by vcp13
do the PCCB on a taycan feel like PCCB on a sports car? one thing i dont love about the taycan is that it is slow to brake. obviously a heffer with steels and I'm used to sports cars wit PCCBs.
I'd be curious if many drivers could even tell the difference between the different braking options in a blind test. My guess is probably not, whether on a Taycan or a 911. They're perhaps not quite up there with the carbon roof in terms of Porsche marketing hype vs. real-world value, since I suppose there is going to be a useful reduction in unsprung weight.
Old 09-05-2023, 07:24 PM
AKB991
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

Not sure how / if PCCB’s on Taycan compare to that on Porsches ICE cars but … unsprung weight seems the main issue to me. It’s been well covered - Regen braking means way less actual brake usage on Taycan. If dust is your complaint - ok but man that’s a big upcharge to reduce brake dust. Do PCCB’s look cool ? Yup. Really cool. Again , unsprung weight would be the only real positive to me. On a car as heavy as my GTS ST , that would be like peeing in the ocean !
The following users liked this post:
usctrojanGT3 (09-11-2023)
Old 09-07-2023, 11:53 PM
AtTheGlen
Rennlist Member

Received 197 Likes on 91 Posts
Default Brake Wear with Regenerative Braking

Earlier this year, a Car and Driver reader wrote a letter to the editor saying that at only 6,900 miles, he had to replace all four discs and calipers on his Ford Mach-E Mustang. Ford attributed the damage to “environmental factors” and would not cover the repair. The editor’s response was that Tesla owners were seeing the same “real and unintended consequence of EV’s regenerative braking systems capability and clearly something many automakers hadn’t anticipated”. In my Taycan GTS sedan, I almost always drive in Normal mode, which totally supports my sporty driving style. But fairly often, I “twist the dial” to Sport when approaching a good cornering opportunity where I want regen braking analogous to compression braking in an ICE car, and I want one click of extra of suspension stiffness. Also, I read on Rennlist or TaycanForum that, even though Sport and Sport+ include some regenerative braking, driving in Normal achieves better mileage because of the inherent coasting.

I have PCCBs on my Taycan GTS. I am very pleased and would order them again. I have PCCBs on my current 911 and had them on two previous 911s. The main factor with the Taycan GTS was that, with a 5,000+ pound car, I wanted the most capable brakes offered. That said, others have reported that the other available Porsche braking systems are fully capable, and indeed, the Cayenne e-hybrid that we traded in stopped fine with the standard brakes. I bought the Cayenne new from dealer inventory vs. special ordering so I saved a bunch of money. Oh, did I mention that I like not having dusty wheels? Call me shallow, but it matters to me!
The following users liked this post:
Der-Schwabe (09-08-2023)

Quick Reply: GTS vs. Turbo S