Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone regret GTS instead of Turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2023, 11:27 AM
Downfracture
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Anyone regret GTS instead of Turbo?

So I've been waffling between a GTS and a Turbo, and to me the GTS just seems like the much better choice. It seems like the 0.5s 0-60 is the only advantage the turbo has...and the downside is about $20k+. I know 0.5s is a lot, but right now I'm in a 4.3s Macan and it feels ridiculously fast to me...so I think a 3.5s is going to sate me until I can get that 911.

But I wanted to know from people who actually purchased them, am I missing anything? has anyone purchased the GTS and thought "man I really should have gotten that turbo".

Thanks!
Old 03-14-2023, 11:48 AM
DerekS
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 54 Posts

Nope! Perfectly gruntled with my GTS.
The following users liked this post:
AlexCeres (03-19-2023)
Old 03-14-2023, 11:51 AM
sfy1505
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 36 Posts

No regrets with my '23 Taycan GTS, I never considered a Turbo. Comparing it to my '22 Targa 4S, the Taycan actually feels faster from a dead stop.
Old 03-14-2023, 11:53 AM
j.w.s
Intermediate

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

If they sold the "Turbo" with a badge that says "GTS" I may have been tempted. Who doesn't want more horsepower? But I really didn't NEED more horsepower, and I like the GTS suspension tuning and rear power bias, and I have an allergic reaction to seeing the word "turbo" on an EV, so I went with the GTS.

How about this for anachronism: "How many horsepower(1) does the Taycan Turbo(2) shooting brake(3) have?"

Last edited by j.w.s; 03-14-2023 at 11:55 AM.
The following users liked this post:
nischalr (03-16-2023)
Old 03-14-2023, 12:55 PM
Downfracture
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is that your GTS in your avatar picture? Carmine Red? It's gorgeous.
Old 03-14-2023, 04:05 PM
gekko4711
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

No regrets at all. My GTS is the best "everyday" car I have ever had. It is neck-snapping quick in Sport or Sport Plus. Launch control gives me tunnel vision every time.
Old 03-15-2023, 12:30 AM
gtm
Track Day

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Every day I think I should have gotten a Turbo S, or at least a Turbo. I've got a Tesla Model S Performance side by side with the GTS in my garage. From a stop the difference of well over 0.5 seconds to 60 is the difference between holy crap this is making me dizzy and this is pretty fast. However aside from being stupid from a stop light the real world difference just isn't noticeable. Merging onto the highway? Piece of cake with the GTS. Passing a slow vehicle? Pretty much instantaneous in the GTS. So faster is always a good thing but honestly the GTS is plenty fast out in the real world. After having lived with the GTS side by side with the Turbo S quick Tesla I find the GTS plenty fast enough. Plus the GTS chassis setup just about perfect. I seriously doubt you will regret a GTS. Second guess yourself? Welcome to the club.

Trending Topics

Old 03-15-2023, 01:30 PM
bluelines1974
Rennlist Member

Received 408 Likes on 215 Posts

I went from a 2020 Turbo to a 2022 GTS. I’ve never felt that the GTS isn’t fast enough, even though the Turbo does feel marginally faster. The bigger issue I have with our ST is that the ride is slightly less compliant, both on the winter rubber and the performance tires it came with. It’s not only the tires that make it feel firmer since we had the same set of winter rims and tires on the Turbo.

I also like the painted front and rear trim that comes standard on the Turbo.

But simply judged in terms of outright speed, the Turbo isn’t worth the premium IMHO.
Old 03-15-2023, 01:34 PM
j.w.s
Intermediate

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by bluelines1974
I went from a 2020 Turbo to a 2022 GTS. I’ve never felt that the GTS isn’t fast enough, even though the Turbo does feel marginally faster. The bigger issue I have with our ST is that the ride is slightly less compliant, both on the winter rubber and the performance tires it came with. It’s not only the tires that make it feel firmer since we had the same set of winter rims and tires on the Turbo.

I also like the painted front and rear trim that comes standard on the Turbo.

But simply judged in terms of outright speed, the Turbo isn’t worth the premium IMHO.
So true that the body color painted front bumper lower trim you get on the Turbo is quite nice. I wish that was an option on the GTS!
Old 03-15-2023, 01:40 PM
bluelines1974
Rennlist Member

Received 408 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by j.w.s
So true that the body color painted front bumper lower trim you get on the Turbo is quite nice. I wish that was an option on the GTS!
And also the painted trim on the rear valance. It’s just a nice detail that makes the design more cohesive.
Old 03-15-2023, 11:53 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,020 Likes on 2,291 Posts

Very happy with my GTS.
Old 03-16-2023, 07:37 AM
Dr. G7
Three Wheelin'

Received 322 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by Downfracture
So I've been waffling between a GTS and a Turbo, and to me the GTS just seems like the much better choice. It seems like the 0.5s 0-60 is the only advantage the turbo has...and the downside is about $20k+. I know 0.5s is a lot, but right now I'm in a 4.3s Macan and it feels ridiculously fast to me...so I think a 3.5s is going to sate me until I can get that 911.

But I wanted to know from people who actually purchased them, am I missing anything? has anyone purchased the GTS and thought "man I really should have gotten that turbo".

Thanks!
“I know 0.5s is a lot“

Please may I know what’s your hurry (to get to the next red light.)
Old 03-16-2023, 01:21 PM
nischalr
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by j.w.s
I have ordered the Turbo front lip conversion from Suncoast for my GTS Sport turismo Taycan and chose to paint the "wings" on the front splitter gloss black to match the gloss black on the sidekirts and rear diffuser (rear diffuser is the same as a turbo except body color section is gloss black.)

On the GTS, you can get the turbo front splitter from factory if you order the sport design package in carbon fiber, but I don't like the rear winglets included on the rear diffuser with that package. Just as easy to paint this retrofit with body color "wings" on the front splitter like the turbo if desired. It is not an expensive upgrade and overall still less expensive than the factory carbon package.

Old 03-19-2023, 10:31 PM
RingoDingo
Advanced

Received 49 Likes on 25 Posts

He's right that the Tesla Mp3 is noticeably much faster than the GTS and the 4S and on down. Part of it too is that I think Tesla gives you the full torque from the get-go, and with my Taycan it seems to build up a bit, even in launch mode. Still, the Taycan is such a much better car it isn't otherwise worth comparing, and I certainly don't miss anything in the upgrade. the MP3 is too quick (and jittery) to be safe on most roads.
Old 03-20-2023, 07:23 PM
DerekS
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 54 Posts

The following 2 users liked this post by DerekS:
cyclrder (03-22-2023), Der-Schwabe (03-21-2023)

Quick Reply: Anyone regret GTS instead of Turbo?