Notices
Taycan 2019-Current The Electric Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Registered keeper vs ltd co owner for insurance purposes?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2023, 06:39 PM
london123
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Registered keeper vs ltd co owner for insurance purposes?

I'm sure this is frequently encountered but as this is the 1st time i'm about to purchase (CT4) via my ltd co - basically to take advantage of FYA plus low BIK rates (for now) - i'm uncertain of my insurance position.
Presumably, i still approach mainstream insurance companies eg Admiral, Sheila's wheels, Direct LIne etc, stating i'm the 'keeper' as stated on VG5c but that the company is otherwise 'owned' by my ltd company?
Does this affect the premium as it is a company car, albeit myself as registered keeper?
Old 01-21-2023, 09:04 PM
Dr. G7
Three Wheelin'

Received 322 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by london123
I'm sure this is frequently encountered but as this is the 1st time i'm about to purchase (CT4) via my ltd co - basically to take advantage of FYA plus low BIK rates (for now) - i'm uncertain of my insurance position.
Presumably, i still approach mainstream insurance companies eg Admiral, Sheila's wheels, Direct LIne etc, stating i'm the 'keeper' as stated on VG5c but that the company is otherwise 'owned' by my ltd company?
Does this affect the premium as it is a company car, albeit myself as registered keeper?
Sometimes it helps if posters spell out acronyms ... especially if they are from "across the pond?"

Re. VG5c...is that the same as a V5C? In the rebel colonies (i.e., America) we do not have V5C (vehicle registration document) that registers vehicles with the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA)

"mainstream insurance companies ...Sheila's wheels"

In America, individual states (by state law referring to the law of each separate U.S. state) have their own Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV.) And by reputation, they are one of most "fun" places to visit. Bureaucracy at its finest.

I have registered some vehicles the name of my company. And some in my name.

Last edited by Dr. G7; 01-21-2023 at 09:07 PM.
The following users liked this post:
AlexCeres (01-21-2023)
Old 01-21-2023, 11:19 PM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,030 Posts

You need to work with your insurance agent to make sure it’s properly structured for corporate ownership. At least in the states, if you insure it as a private individual but it’s owned by an LLC you risk having claims denied because it’s not a corporate policy. It’s common for insurance companies in America to take money for policies and then find reasons to deny claims because the policies weren’t correctly formulated. It’s all fun and games until you face hundreds of thousands in medical liability or property damage for an accident and your insurance company realizes you lied to them ….
The following users liked this post:
Dr. G7 (01-22-2023)
Old 01-22-2023, 04:25 PM
london123
Instructor

[QUOTE=Dr. G7;18585643]Sometimes it helps if posters spell out acronyms ... especially if they are from "across the pond?"

Sorry, yes, my query is specifically for UK as i imagine a large proportion of owners are likely via limited companies, for good reason.
Makes sense to learn from others' experiences, whole point of the forum.

Old 01-22-2023, 04:31 PM
Dr. G7
Three Wheelin'

Received 322 Likes on 265 Posts

[QUOTE=london123;18586937]
Originally Posted by Dr. G7
Sometimes it helps if posters spell out acronyms ... especially if they are from "across the pond?"

Makes sense to learn from others' experiences, whole point of the forum.
Thanks…no need to apologize. The forum doesn’t specify Americans Only.

I kinda had fun looking up all the acronyms. I was in England about 20 years ago and we bought a car… getting MOT tested and all that was a unique experience.
Old 01-24-2023, 04:46 PM
london123
Instructor

Today, they've clarified that it seems Porsche GB will allow invoicing to the ltd company but with official 'registered keeper' on the V5 as myself.
This overcomes the insurance issue where certain companies insist on the true definition of keeper vs the owner.
Admiral for instance has said that it invalidates the insurance for company drivers if above not the case.

Quick Reply: Registered keeper vs ltd co owner for insurance purposes?