I saw a sweet looking 4S today

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2023, 05:52 PM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,612 Likes on 818 Posts
Default I saw a sweet looking 4S today

So I’m running errands today in my new Bimmer (M850i, V8 engine no less) and I park next to a swank looking, chalk Taycan 4S.

The dude who drove it was like a textbook kind of guy some would imagine driving this car: dark hair, looked important, handsome, etc.

My car is right next to his and I said, “How do you like the Taycan?”

He said “Love it!”

I said “I’ve never owned an EV, but I know that’s one of the nicer ones”

He goes “Yeah, I can never go back” (to an ICE car, I presumed)

I say “Don’t you miss that rumble of an engine?”

He says “Not an issue, my Taycan replicates that sound in the cabin” (I threw up a bit in my mouth when I heard that)

We both said “so long” and went on our way.

I have to admit that it’s good that this first generation of Taycans is getting so much love from its owners. I have almost never heard anyone who owned it say they didn’t really enjoy this car. Porsche seems to have hit it out of the park with their first EV.

Just thought I’d share that experience with the Taycan folks
The following users liked this post:
Dr. G7 (01-21-2023)
Old 01-20-2023, 07:17 PM
irv09
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

It is good to hear such a positive experience. My experience with my 2020 Taycan Turbo has been positive when it comes to the driving experience. There is nothing like the EV drive. My experience with software bugs has been a real annoying set of issues and I am not sure that I would say I would never go back to an ICE car. I am considering going back to a Panamera GTS. My car has no LTE connection and the issue dates back to 12/17/22. I have been back and forth with Porsche with no solution and the car is currently at the local dealer awaiting a regional technician to analyze the data from the car to come with a possible plan to resolve the issue. If the potential shut down and reboot of the module does not work, then we are looking at a replacement module. The module is not in stock so it has to come from Germany, but we have to go through this several day process before we can even get to the potential part replacement. I had an entire engine wiring harness replaced on a Cayenne Turbo in less time that it has taken to address this problem. I think Porsche has some real work on the software side of the PCM, the module reliability, and charging (home and EA stations). I am not sure they are ready and it feels like the first month of dealing with the Apple OS 10. . .
Dr. G7 (01-21-2023)
Old 01-21-2023, 09:15 PM
Dr. G7
Three Wheelin'

Received 322 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by Tupper
The dude who drove it was like a textbook kind of guy some would imagine driving this car: dark hair, looked important, handsome, etc.
It must have been me. Surely yes.

My car is right next to his and I said, “How do you like the Taycan?”

He said “Love it!”
Which year was the Taycan? How long was the ownership?

We can assume the swashbuckler has not experienced range anxiety, dodgy chargers, random alarms, dark PCMs, six months for parts, wireless chargers that fry phones, and the list goes on.
The following 2 users liked this post by Dr. G7:
flygdchman (01-22-2023), Tupper (01-22-2023)
Old 01-22-2023, 12:15 AM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

^ My conversation with him was not long enough to get that info. Looked pretty new to me, though
Old 01-22-2023, 07:58 AM
kort677
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. G7
It must have been me. Surely yes.

Which year was the Taycan? How long was the ownership?

We can assume the swashbuckler has not experienced range anxiety
range anxiety is an affliction that is prevalent in naive newbies
Old 01-24-2023, 02:54 PM
kayjh
Drifting

Received 708 Likes on 494 Posts

Originally Posted by kort677
range anxiety is an affliction that is prevalent in naive newbies
Or people like me who are considering a Taycan but like to travel highway distances in Canada where public chargers seem to be far and few between.
Dr. G7 (01-29-2023)
Old 01-26-2023, 12:08 PM
bluelines1974
Rennlist Member

Received 408 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by kayjh
Or people like me who are considering a Taycan but like to travel highway distances in Canada where public chargers seem to be far and few between.
Canada is pretty bad for fast charging (non-Tesla) infrastructure. At least on the trans-canada you get the Petro Canada options, but the couple of times I've tried them, the 350 kW chargers would not work. I've had a couple of Electrify Canada disasters (including one where none of the chargers would initiate charging on a day when it was -15 celsius and I had only a few km of range remaining). We charge both of our EVs almost exclusively at home, but it is unfortunate that the infrastructure is so spotty, since it definitely limits how you can use the car.
The following 3 users liked this post by bluelines1974:
abatis (01-26-2023), Dr. G7 (01-29-2023), PierreTT (02-05-2023)
Old 01-29-2023, 06:59 PM
Dr. G7
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by bluelines1974
Canada is pretty bad for fast charging (non-Tesla) infrastructure. ....
In the US, the fast charging infrastructure is fantastic. Just fantastic.

Tupper (02-01-2023)
Old 02-01-2023, 10:54 AM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I hear all of this crap about charging and this is one of the reasons I'm not buying an EV yet. I've got enough crap to deal with in my life.

Of course I'll eventually buy an EV, but I'm going to wait until charging is much smoother sailing. Staying with ICE or ICE-hybrid vehicles for now (plus they sound better). But, that Taycan sure did look cool!
Old 02-02-2023, 08:59 AM
kort677
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I hear all of this crap about charging and this is one of the reasons I'm not buying an EV yet. I've got enough crap to deal with in my life.

Of course I'll eventually buy an EV, but I'm going to wait until charging is much smoother sailing. Staying with ICE or ICE-hybrid vehicles for now (plus they sound better). But, that Taycan sure did look cool!
the difficulties of charging in cold weather that I encountered on a recent road trip up north, and the issues of EA has me thinking of going with a PHEV. the toyota rav4 will give you about 40 miles on the battery and then the gas engine kicks in. since 3/4 of my driving is under 50 miles this might be the right way to go until they perfect the fast charging issues.
Old 02-02-2023, 02:57 PM
Dr. G7
Three Wheelin'

…the toyota rav4 will give you about 40 miles on the battery...
You are thinking of “upgrading” from a Taycan to a RAV4?
Old 02-02-2023, 03:05 PM
Dr. G7
Three Wheelin'

Oh live dangerously! I subscribe to George Carlin: Life Is Worth Losing
Old 02-03-2023, 09:29 AM
kort677
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dr. G7
You are thinking of “upgrading” from a Taycan to a RAV4?
a car is a tool, if the tool isn't capable of doing the job then another tool needs to be acquired. the taycan's limited range and the inefficiencies of the fast charging networks has diminished my confidence in driving the taycan beyond it's range. so regardless of the the taycan's greatness in some area's the car is not doing it's job. in addition I also have an Ipace and it's performance, level of luxury is on par and in some ways better than the taycan.
Old 02-03-2023, 10:14 AM
Dr. G7
Three Wheelin'

a car is a tool, if the tool isn't capable of doing the job then another tool needs to be acquired. the taycan's limited range and the inefficiencies of the fast charging networks has diminished my confidence in driving the taycan beyond it's range. so regardless of the the taycan's greatness in some area's the car is not doing it's job. in addition I also have an Ipace and it's performance, level of luxury is on par and in some ways better than the taycan.
“…diminished my confidence in driving the taycan beyond it's range.”

That’s the fault of the vehicle, that it didn’t outperform manufacturer specifications?

Old 02-03-2023, 10:17 AM
Dr. G7
Three Wheelin'

a car is a tool, if the tool isn't capable of doing the job then another tool needs to be acquired.

At least with me, it is not the tool at fault but my inability to use the tool correctly.

Notwithstanding the little blue pill too.

Quick Reply: I saw a sweet looking 4S today