Sponsored by:

Concerning issues with my Taycan

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2022, 09:34 PM
Dr. Z
Instructor

Received 63 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Concerning issues with my Taycan

First of all….I took delivery of a 2022 base Taycan with a 93.4 kWh battery in December of 2021. I have put 9000 miles on it without issues and we love it. Appx two months ago I noticed that my Porsche wall charger would only charge for appx one hour then completely shut off. Sometimes I got an error message that the there was a “ground error” …then sometimes not.
I took it to my dealer…who is very reputable and I have purchased several cars from them…..they said the Taycan and the charger needed a software update …

So we left the car for a few days and my wife went back to pick it up…drove it 90 miles to our home…and I received a call from the service manager that evening asking if they could come to our home and pick up the car. He told me that Porsche had looked at several error codes and found that the battery was running a high temperature when the AC was on. So they picked it up…kept it for a week …told me that they had tested it , updated the software and everything should be good.

We received the car back and drove it for approximately for two weeks and I again noticed that the Porsche wall charger was cutting off as before..I do have an aftermarket charger that works fine.
I called the dealer and they came back and picked it up…once again…...now it has been there for two weeks…they have been in contact and every time we talk the service manager assures me the everything is fine….they just keep finding “software issue” and are correcting them….. they say this is not unusual and almost every Taycan they have come in has these issues.

I have known the service manager for twenty years and I trust him…but I am honestly concerned that I may have a lemon…

I would appreciate opinions….and a course of action.
Thanks
Old 11-13-2022, 10:08 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,872 Likes on 1,886 Posts

the porsche charger sucks - dont' let that make you think it's a lemon - if other chargers are working fine it's not the car.

the PMCC has known thermal issues.
The following 4 users liked this post by daveo4porsche:
AlexCeres (11-15-2022), r553 (11-15-2022), thebishman (11-15-2022), ThomasCarreraGTS (12-04-2022)
Old 11-15-2022, 09:28 AM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 240 Posts

This ^^^^. Throw the PMCC EVSE in the recycling bin - Problem Solved.

Last edited by 991carreradriver; 11-15-2022 at 09:29 AM.
The following users liked this post:
abatis (11-15-2022)
Old 11-15-2022, 05:57 PM
kort677
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by 991carreradriver
This ^^^^. Throw the PMCC EVSE in the recycling bin - Problem Solved.
I would like some compensation for being duped by porsche when they sold me this inferior, dangerous EVSE
Old 11-15-2022, 06:15 PM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by kort677
I would like some compensation for being duped by porsche when they sold me this inferior, dangerous EVSE
I think there is some class action lawyer looking for a qualifying class plaintiff on the other board - be sure to sign up - almost guaranteed a "buck 2.80"!
Old 11-17-2022, 03:09 AM
ABVW
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche
the porsche charger sucks - dont' let that make you think it's a lemon - if other chargers are working fine it's not the car.

the PMCC has known thermal issues.
@Dave4Porsche...Would you say the same about the Porsche Wall Charger Connect?
Old 11-17-2022, 03:21 AM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ABVW
@Dave4Porsche...Would you say the same about the Porsche Wall Charger Connect?
I lack data regarding the Porsche wall charger (EVSE) - although they were stop sale for a bit due to "technical issues" - my current favorite EVSE's are:
  • ClipperCreek
  • Tesla J-1772 Wall Charger
  • Tesla Wall Charger (requires TeslaTap)
  • WallBox
  • ChargePoint
  • JuiceBox
  • others…
These EV Chargers (EVSE's) are not supposed to be vendor specific and for North america they all support the SAE J-1772 charging standard which Taycan also supports (as does VW/Audi/Porsche EV's and hybrids).

a couple of posters on the other Taycan forum have installed the Porsche Wall Charger, but so far have not followed up with any feedback.

AlexCeres (11-20-2022)
Old 11-17-2022, 03:29 AM
ABVW
Intermediate

• Tesla Wall Charger (requires TeslaTap)
Thank you so much for that feedback! I have a Tesla Wall Connector hardwired in my garage already but was apprehensive about using the Tesla Tap. I didn't know if it was safe or not. Last thing I want is an f-i-r-e in my garage. Yesterday, I (somewhat reluctantly) ordered the Porsche Wall Charger to replace it because I thought that would be a safer option than using a third-party device like the Tesla Tap. Did I waste money? If so, I might return it and order a Tesla Tap instead.
Old 11-17-2022, 09:00 AM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

TeslaTap is a great device and useful to have anyways for when you are away from home and encounter Tesla Destination chargers (not superchargers)…order the 60 amp device if you have a standard Taycan or the 80 amp TeslaTap if you have the 19.2 kW option with your Taycan.

It will be fine - if you want to really splurge - order two - one to "live" in the garage - one to live in the car for maximum convenience - but 2 is not necessary.

you'll be fine and it's a great device.
whiz944 (11-17-2022)
Old 11-17-2022, 09:23 PM
ABVW
Intermediate

TeslaTap is a great device and useful to have anyways for when you are away from home and encounter Tesla Destination chargers (not superchargers)…order the 60 amp device if you have a standard Taycan or the 80 amp TeslaTap if you have the 19.2 kW option with your Taycan.
Thanks so much for the advice!
Old 11-19-2022, 05:02 PM
Dr. G7
Three Wheelin'

Received 322 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. Z
...I again noticed that the Porsche wall charger was cutting off as before..I do have an aftermarket charger that works fine.
…but I am honestly concerned that I may have a lemon…
Yes, a lemon wall charger.
Old 11-20-2022, 12:48 AM
Dr. Z
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dr. G7
Yes, a lemon wall charger.
Actually not a lemon wall charger….
‘The Taycan got out of the shop this week….and after all the software updates…everything is working fine…even the Porsche wall charger…
Kudos to my service manager and the department…they have done a great job!
Old 11-20-2022, 01:10 AM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Actually not a lemon wall charger….
‘The Taycan got out of the shop this week….and after all the software updates…everything is working fine…even the Porsche wall charger…
Kudos to my service manager and the department…they have done a great job!
is it still charging at 9.6 kW?
Old 11-20-2022, 09:14 PM
Dr. Z
Instructor

is it still charging at 9.6 kW?
I checked that today after reading your post…and now it is charging at 4.3 kW…..also noticed that the Porsche wall charger reads 50%…not 100% like it used to…
So..did the dealership reset the wall charger to charge at a lower rate? If so…why?
Thanks for your reply
Old 11-20-2022, 09:21 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

I checked that today after reading your post…and now it is charging at 4.3 kW…..also noticed that the Porsche wall charger reads 50%…not 100% like it used to…
So..did the dealership reset the wall charger to charge at a lower rate? If so…why?
Thanks for your reply
yeah they nerfed the charger because Porsche flunked EE 101 - and ships the charger with a power supply cable that is too weak/pathetic to handle it's advertised load of 9.6 kW - so now it's running at 4.8 kW to avoid overheating/melting/fires/and-general-safety-upgrade…the charger sucks and can not run safely at it's advertised or rated loads (9.6 kW/40 amps)

so the dealer "fixed" the problem by reducing the charging capacity of your $150,000 EV to slower than a Nissan Leaf for Chevy Bolt and their $3200 EV charger (called an EVSE) can not keep up or charge at the same rate as a $200 Tesla EV charger (which if you purchase and get a TeslaTap will charge your Taycan at it's full 9.6 kW charge rate and will not overheat/melt in the process).

gory excruciating and thorough details can be found in these threads…

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/north-america-this-is-getting-embarrassing-porsche-nerfing-neutering-the-pmcc-via-ota-update.12791/
https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/nema-14-50-supply-cable-heat-data.1940/

https://rennlist.com/forums/taycan/1...e-2x-time.html

summary; TLDR; - the Porsche EVSE can not run at full capacity…
  • it will overheat and fail
  • Porsche at this time has no satisfactory answer for this other than to run their unit at the lower 20 amp rate
  • they have not offered any compensation or return policy to date
  • they have not offered any recommendations for alternative EVSE's
  • with the current "fix" in place it is now a 4.8 kW charger (20 amps) rather than a 9.6 kW charger (40 amps)
  • this reduction in charging capacity WILL take 2x as long to charge your Taycan for any given charging session
    • (a full charge with the Porsche EVSE in this configuration will take 18 hours to charge your Taycan rather than the specified 9 hours)
  • and the PMC+/PMCC is now officially a POS product and you're better off purchasing an alternative EVSE which will work better, cost less, run at full capacity, and will not overheat…
  • Porsche eMailed existing owners telling them to bring their PMC+/PMCC in for a "free no charge" fix that will avoid the overheating problems - they never stated that the "fix" is to run the unit at a lower capacity which doubles charge times…some people felt this was a poor customer solution.
  • this issue has been known for at least 2 years - there was a deep discussion of the issue and Porsche was notified in Aug. of 2020 and has done nothing to improve the situation…
please read the other threads if you want to be up to speed - but the PMC+/PMCC is not one of Porsche's stronger product offerings and in this case you are better off going with alternative EVSE's because Porsche's offering sucks…and given the update they seem to agree because they have nerf'd it to run at a lower rate…which is not the advertised specification or what you paid for in terms of a 40 amp EVSE.

Last edited by daveo4porsche; 11-20-2022 at 11:55 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by daveo4porsche:
Dr. G7 (11-25-2022), ThomasCarreraGTS (12-04-2022), wutographydc (01-29-2023)

Quick Reply: Concerning issues with my Taycan