Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How good is ACC is stop and Stop traffic

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2022 | 01:53 AM
bli8
Rennlist Member

Default How good is ACC is stop and Stop traffic

I commute twice to the office and the total time I spend in stop and stop Los Angeles traffic is about 2.5 hours (not total commute time but time in traffic), and even though I've read quite a few reviews on ACC, I'd love to hear from you if you drivee the car in stop and go traffic, especially if you also have experience w/ other cars that have one pedal driving capability. I know the car can follow the car in front and come to a complete stop but will it too tiring to have to manage ACC w/o one pedal driving? BTW I currently have a Polestar 2 which has ACC, lane keep, and 1 pedal drive and it works really well. It handles very well w/ those Ohlins dampers and stops good enough w/ those Brembos also, it's just to cramp inside and I need more room to squirm around after the initial hour in traffic. I'm asking as I have a CT4 coming in a few weeks but wonder if this car can handle the traffic for me.
Old 10-28-2022 | 08:32 AM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Worth viewing IMO.

Old 10-28-2022 | 08:52 AM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bli8
I commute twice to the office and the total time I spend in stop and stop Los Angeles traffic is about 2.5 hours (not total commute time but time in traffic), and even though I've read quite a few reviews on ACC, I'd love to hear from you if you drivee the car in stop and go traffic, especially if you also have experience w/ other cars that have one pedal driving capability. I know the car can follow the car in front and come to a complete stop but will it too tiring to have to manage ACC w/o one pedal driving? BTW I currently have a Polestar 2 which has ACC, lane keep, and 1 pedal drive and it works really well. It handles very well w/ those Ohlins dampers and stops good enough w/ those Brembos also, it's just to cramp inside and I need more room to squirm around after the initial hour in traffic. I'm asking as I have a CT4 coming in a few weeks but wonder if this car can handle the traffic for me.
I use Porsche ACC often in stop/go traffic - it's quite good and reliable.
The following 2 users liked this post by daveo4porsche:
AlexCeres (10-30-2022), r553 (10-30-2022)
Old 10-28-2022 | 10:44 AM
Dr. G7
Three Wheelin'

I use it all the time. Works reasonably well. Sometimes will slam brakes for car in next lane. Also stop n go, will approach a stoped vehicle at full speed. Kinda unnerving.

Disengages randomly, but warns of disengagement. Stops for about 15 minutes, then restarts.

I wouldn’t buy a car without ACC

Why Porsche nickel and dimes on this feature on $100k++ vehicles is baffling.

Last edited by Dr. G7; 10-28-2022 at 10:46 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Dr. G7:
AlexCeres (10-29-2022), chillindrdude (11-02-2022)
Old 10-29-2022 | 06:15 PM
RCorsa
Pro

Works about 50-50 not even close to Tesla AP but unfortunately you have to drive a crap Tesla to get it. I have both.....
The following users liked this post:
abatis (10-30-2022)
Old 10-29-2022 | 10:59 PM
DerekS
Rennlist Member

Well since stop and stop traffic would be, not moving...I'd say it performs exactly as expected.
Old 10-30-2022 | 08:26 AM
Dr. G7
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by DerekS
Well since stop and stop traffic would be, not moving...I'd say it performs exactly as expected.
You stopped me cold
Old 10-30-2022 | 06:50 PM
bluelines1974
Rennlist Member

I just spent a week with a rental Tesla Model Y in the UK. I could not believe how poor the Autopilot system was, relative to the hype. Somehow it felt worse than my 2017 Model S (which I sold a few years ago, so I may not remember it well enough). It is good at maintaining its position in the lane, but very bad at slowing down progressively as it approaches a slower car. I never took my hands off the wheel, but the system kept asking me to make steering adjustments - I guess to prove that you're paying attention.

Unrelated to Autopilot, I was shocked at how bad everything except the charging infrastructure is - the ride is so harsh and uncomfortable that I just cannot imagine living with a Y as my daily driver. There was already a horrible creak coming from the trunk when it opened or closed, and a constant rattle from one of the rear doors. And the centre screen is just dangerous. The auto wipers would just go crazy with few drops of moisture on the screen, so to avoid this annoyance I had to use the manual setting - imagine the stupidity of having to reach over to a central touch screen to adjust the wipers!

Tesla's huge lead is really going to get eroded quickly if they don't make better cars.

Originally Posted by RCorsa
Works about 50-50 not even close to Tesla AP but unfortunately you have to drive a crap Tesla to get it. I have both.....
The following users liked this post:
thebishman (10-30-2022)
Old 10-30-2022 | 08:01 PM
thebishman
Burning Brakes

Bluesline1974:

I know so many Tesla owners love their cars, and can be extremely ‘verbal’ when even the slightest hint of criticism is leveled at the cars/brand; but:

There are so many really great options now available for EV purchases from some of the best and most established names in the business, building cars with great quality and actual range equal to that of most Teslas that personally I think Tesla could be in big trouble trying to adapt to the competition which they haven’t had until recently. Their huge advantage remains the Supercharger network of course but 1: DCFC non-Tesla charging options are ramping up rapidly, and 2: it’s a moot point for the vast majority of EV owners given that >95%(?) of all charging is done at ‘home’.

How could their flagship product look it did in 2012 when it was first released?

Old 10-31-2022 | 11:54 AM
bluelines1974
Rennlist Member

Agreed. Our other daily driver is an Ioniq 5, which competes directly with the Y, yet in Canada is $25k (Canadian) cheaper for the top of the line AWD long range model vs. the Dual Motor Y. Yes, the Y has slightly better official range, but otherwise it's a vastly inferior vehicle. The Ioniq rides better, has a much nicer interior, is much better built, and has normal features that every car needs like CarPlay / Android Auto, a driver display, radar-based blind spot monitoring, wipers that work, etc.). You have to need the out-of-home charging, or simply be in the cult, to pick the Model Y (or perhaps just need a car sooner, since the waiting lists are longer for the Ioniq / EV6 / GV60).

Originally Posted by thebishman
Bluesline1974:

I know so many Tesla owners love their cars, and can be extremely ‘verbal’ when even the slightest hint of criticism is leveled at the cars/brand; but:

There are so many really great options now available for EV purchases from some of the best and most established names in the business, building cars with great quality and actual range equal to that of most Teslas that personally I think Tesla could be in big trouble trying to adapt to the competition which they haven’t had until recently. Their huge advantage remains the Supercharger network of course but 1: DCFC non-Tesla charging options are ramping up rapidly, and 2: it’s a moot point for the vast majority of EV owners given that >95%(?) of all charging is done at ‘home’.

How could their flagship product look it did in 2012 when it was first released?
Old 10-31-2022 | 10:08 PM
thebishman
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bluelines1974
Agreed. Our other daily driver is an Ioniq 5, which competes directly with the Y, yet in Canada is $25k (Canadian) cheaper for the top of the line AWD long range model vs. the Dual Motor Y. Yes, the Y has slightly better official range, but otherwise it's a vastly inferior vehicle. The Ioniq rides better, has a much nicer interior, is much better built, and has normal features that every car needs like CarPlay / Android Auto, a driver display, radar-based blind spot monitoring, wipers that work, etc.). You have to need the out-of-home charging, or simply be in the cult, to pick the Model Y (or perhaps just need a car sooner, since the waiting lists are longer for the Ioniq / EV6 / GV60).
Good friend of mine has a loaded First Edition EV6; it’s a damn good car. I personally like the styling of the Ioniq 5 better myself; glad you are enjoying yours!

Quick Reply: How good is ACC is stop and Stop traffic