Sponsored by:

Sanity Check!

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2022, 06:55 PM
Jose Head
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by blraider97
I am contemplating trading both my ‘18 991.2 GT3 and ‘22 Tesla Model 3 Performance for a new Taycan Turbo or Turbo S. I daily the Tesla and don’t get to drive the GT3 as much as I would like since I refuse to take it to work due to a lengthy 80 mile round trip drive in mostly heavy traffic. I also don’t track the GT3 as I have other hobbies that take up what little free time I actually have which limits me using the GT3 for a nice spirited drive or 2 each weekend. Surprisingly, I really enjoy the move to an EV for daily purposes but do want something nicer since the Model 3 is very basic and I spend so much time in my daily (in addition to a commute, I will also attend sales calls with some of my sales team during the week throughout the DFW area so range does concern me slightly but I’m seeing that most are getting good range out of the Taycan Turbo). I was going to simply upgrade the M3P to a Plaid because I do enjoy Autopilot during commutes but I’m still underwhelmed with the interior and I really like the Porsche feel of the Taycan. I know I will miss the GT3 for those occasional drives; however, those are becoming few and far between and it pains me to have such a machine just sitting in my garage. Am I insane for considering this move?
I'm trading in a 2020 Taycan 4S for a 2022 Targa GTS 4. I've had the Taycan since November '21...Prefer ICE.
Old 07-14-2022, 05:36 PM
Bluehorizon
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

This is obviously very much a personal choice question, but I have owned a 991.2 GT3 and a Taycan Turbo S and thought I'd share my thoughts.

On the Turbo S, folks have already pointed out that, although it's insanely fast in a straight line, it's a heavy car and you can feel it while cornering. Not a knock on the car, but just laws of physics at play. I still very much enjoyed the Taycan Turbo S, but with COVID meaning it sat in the garage for a year as I worked from home, it didn't seem worth keeping it considering the cost. And yes, I sold it just before car prices went nuts! The other thing I recognized with the Turbo S is that the launch control was a fun party trick that stunned passengers, but not a key reason for keeping a car.

We have a Rivian R1T now and my wife has a Taycan Cross Turismo 4. I do find myself occasionally pining for a true "lightweight" sports car and would consider getting something fun like a Boxster as a third car while not feeling too guilty about burying a lot of cash into a vehicle I won't drive much.
Old 07-14-2022, 10:16 PM
JDNEPA
4th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm doing something similar if you want an alternate opinion to keeping it.

I have a 2014 Audi R8 V10 (S-Tronic) with 5k miles and the thing is mint. I also have a 2021 Porsche Macan S. I'm trading both in on a Taycan Turbo S. I'm comfortable with the choice and I get the ICE/Battery discussion but to be honest, I'm interested in simplifying to 1 vehicle that I can use vs juggling 2 - daily vs weekend. I also was at a crossroad where you drop $8-10k on exhaust + install and also start swapping out the stereo for an upgrade to CarPlay and it becomes material - come resale, most want the car stock and this begins to erode that value/resale. I was also considering going in on a 4S (targa), 911 GTS, or Turbo but honestly, I want to experience the battery tech and future and based on my situation, it seems to fit well with ability to charge in my garage and never go to a gas station. Like getting into Tesla but with better handling and brakes (new plaid way under-braked). I also think long-term you get the performance, less maintenance, and EVs have significantly longer longevity with less moving parts that ICE with way more tech.... I'm on board, and will give it a go.....

I'm excited to pick up the Taycan. We'll see but I don't think you'd go wrong keeping the GT3. That said, I also don't think you should hold it out of fear as market prices are through the roof right now. If you are double guessing the decision or thinking you'll want to replace it with another GT3, or get another down the road, you probably should consider keeping it now because the prices are just going to keep going up if history is telling.... If you're ready to move to something else and would swap back to a 911 (non-GT3) or another ICE something else with a degree of who cares and figure out what's next later, then let it go and jump into the next chapter and don't look back.....

Can't go wrong either way but only you can decide where you're head/heart is really at and lot's of folks will tell you how to spend your money and what you should do (usually it's keep both b/c that decision is the same as not making one - no offense to anyone suggesting it b/c if you everyone can swing carrying all options - it does simplify life, doesn't it so yea... that decision seems implied that it's the ideal choice if you can swing it financially).

My 2 cents....

Last edited by JDNEPA; 07-14-2022 at 10:19 PM.
The following users liked this post:
XLR82XS (07-15-2022)

Quick Reply: Sanity Check!