Sponsored by:

Sanity Check!

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2022, 12:07 PM
blraider97
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 50 Posts
Default Sanity Check!

I am contemplating trading both my ‘18 991.2 GT3 and ‘22 Tesla Model 3 Performance for a new Taycan Turbo or Turbo S. I daily the Tesla and don’t get to drive the GT3 as much as I would like since I refuse to take it to work due to a lengthy 80 mile round trip drive in mostly heavy traffic. I also don’t track the GT3 as I have other hobbies that take up what little free time I actually have which limits me using the GT3 for a nice spirited drive or 2 each weekend. Surprisingly, I really enjoy the move to an EV for daily purposes but do want something nicer since the Model 3 is very basic and I spend so much time in my daily (in addition to a commute, I will also attend sales calls with some of my sales team during the week throughout the DFW area so range does concern me slightly but I’m seeing that most are getting good range out of the Taycan Turbo). I was going to simply upgrade the M3P to a Plaid because I do enjoy Autopilot during commutes but I’m still underwhelmed with the interior and I really like the Porsche feel of the Taycan. I know I will miss the GT3 for those occasional drives; however, those are becoming few and far between and it pains me to have such a machine just sitting in my garage. Am I insane for considering this move?
Old 06-27-2022, 01:11 PM
CapitalAL
Instructor

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by blraider97
I am contemplating trading both my ‘18 991.2 GT3 and ‘22 Tesla Model 3 Performance for a new Taycan Turbo or Turbo S. I daily the Tesla and don’t get to drive the GT3 as much as I would like since I refuse to take it to work due to a lengthy 80 mile round trip drive in mostly heavy traffic. I also don’t track the GT3 as I have other hobbies that take up what little free time I actually have which limits me using the GT3 for a nice spirited drive or 2 each weekend. Surprisingly, I really enjoy the move to an EV for daily purposes but do want something nicer since the Model 3 is very basic and I spend so much time in my daily (in addition to a commute, I will also attend sales calls with some of my sales team during the week throughout the DFW area so range does concern me slightly but I’m seeing that most are getting good range out of the Taycan Turbo). I was going to simply upgrade the M3P to a Plaid because I do enjoy Autopilot during commutes but I’m still underwhelmed with the interior and I really like the Porsche feel of the Taycan. I know I will miss the GT3 for those occasional drives; however, those are becoming few and far between and it pains me to have such a machine just sitting in my garage. Am I insane for considering this move?
If your financial situation allows maybe consider replacing the M3P with the Taycan and keeping the GT3 as your second car.
The following users liked this post:
wizee (07-16-2022)
Old 06-27-2022, 02:07 PM
n2cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 237 Likes on 135 Posts

Don't sell the GT3. You will miss it. The car is magical. I have a 2018 GT3 Touring that I'm driving less and less every month. Part of the reason is we bought a 2022 Base Taycan. Sometimes I feel like I should sell the GT3 but every time I get back in it I love everything about it. Even my wife who doesn't car about cars says keep it. My dealer keeps trying to buy my Touring. He gave me his personal Taycan Turbo S ($227K) for 3 days. Great car but no sale. We did love the Taycan so much we ordered a Base model. Now my wife and I fight over who gets to drive it. Porsche nailed it with the Taycan.
wizee (07-16-2022)
Old 06-27-2022, 06:00 PM
blraider97
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by n2cars
Don't sell the GT3. You will miss it. The car is magical. I have a 2018 GT3 Touring that I'm driving less and less every month. Part of the reason is we bought a 2022 Base Taycan. Sometimes I feel like I should sell the GT3 but every time I get back in it I love everything about it. Even my wife who doesn't car about cars says keep it. My dealer keeps trying to buy my Touring. He gave me his personal Taycan Turbo S ($227K) for 3 days. Great car but no sale. We did love the Taycan so much we ordered a Base model. Now my wife and I fight over who gets to drive it. Porsche nailed it with the Taycan.
I’ve definitely had a change of heart. I’m keep the GT3. Wanted it for too long and really enjoy when I do get to drive it. I’m going to test drive a Taycan 4S to potentially replace my model 3 performance. Seems like a good compromise.
The following 3 users liked this post by blraider97:
n2cars (06-27-2022), wizee (07-16-2022), Wrtflyr (06-27-2022)
Old 06-27-2022, 10:16 PM
TxnBluDvl
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Don’t sell the GT3. The Taycan is no replacement, even in Turbo guise. Too big and too much weight.

I’d rather have a base Taycan on the Model 3 than give up my 991.2 GT3.

I don’t drive the GT3 often, but every time I do, I have a hard time ever thinking of selling.
Old 06-28-2022, 02:55 AM
outie
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Don’t sell the GT3 unless you are replacing it with another ICE sports car. I have been 50% EV since 2016 and went full Tesla EVs household since 2018 and at the beginning of the pandemic (Jan 2020) finally broke down and got a McLaren 600LT because I totally missed the engine/exhaust/mechanical noises after few years of pure EVs. In anticipation of getting a Taycan GTS to replace the Model 3 Performance I thought maybe I should get rid of the 600LT too while price was high and I barely drove that beast (2k miles in 2 years). I almost immediately regretted it the minute the guy drove off with my car. I finally broke down again and ordered a 720S just weeks later.
Old 06-28-2022, 01:21 PM
XLR82XS
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 692 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by n2cars
Don't sell the GT3. You will miss it. The car is magical. I have a 2018 GT3 Touring that I'm driving less and less every month. Part of the reason is we bought a 2022 Base Taycan. Sometimes I feel like I should sell the GT3 but every time I get back in it I love everything about it. Even my wife who doesn't car about cars says keep it. He gave me his personal Taycan Turbo S ($227K) for 3 days. Great car but no sale. We did love the Taycan so much we ordered a Base model. Now my wife and I fight over who gets to drive it. Porsche nailed it with the Taycan.
They did nail it. Great thread about RWD vs. higher models on the Taycan forums. I replaced a Model 3 with a RWD Taycan that I ordered in April 2021. For most the extra 80K+ for turbo trims isn't worth it. All the leather, and interior options, trim, tech, etc... are available on the RWD and it's a model that doesn't have that much aesthetic differentiators from base to turbo. (i.e. brakes and painted lower bumper trim) Yes, the power increase is great but I LOVE the steering feel without the front motor. Thankfully I don't need AWD in the climate where I reside. Taycan is my favorite non-ICE sedan.

If you want to sell that touring let me know
Needsdecaf (07-05-2022)
Old 06-29-2022, 09:16 AM
RCorsa
Pro

Received 440 Likes on 197 Posts

Do it and don’t look back. Get the turbo S trust me. It’s the best car on the road today. I just sold my 992 turbo S that I never drive as the Taycan is just so good. I have in incoming f8 and I hope I love it. That’s said I drove the new hybrid 296 yesterday and was pretty meh on it compared with the Taycan.

Last edited by RCorsa; 06-29-2022 at 09:19 AM.
Der-Schwabe (06-29-2022)
Old 07-04-2022, 10:36 PM
JWreck
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ok I’m in the same dilemma you were, but just on the more plebeian end of the scale.

I’m contemplating giving up my Audi RS5 Sportback and Tesla Model Y performance for the Taycan 4S Cross Turismo. I don’t drive the Audi but once a week anymore, new kiddo leaves little time for extra curricular events and frankly I felt like the Taycan drove equally as well as the Audi.

I’ve also been looking for a 981 Cayman GTS 6 speed to replace the Audi, so I am conflicted clearly.

Decisions…decisions…
Old 07-05-2022, 09:43 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,619 Likes on 1,627 Posts

I'm literally in the same situation except that my 911 is a 2011 Turbo S. In 2 years I've only put 5,000 miles on it and it's just not daily practical. You can probably also relate, living in DFW, to having to drive an hour to find fun roads.

Your GT3T is about twice the cost of my Turbo now in the open market and a far more special car. I'm not sure I could ever part with one although that's what I said when I bought my turbo.

But like you, I love the EV daily and absolutely despise the Tesla now.
Old 07-05-2022, 01:14 PM
Emeka
Instructor

Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts

Do it! I just went solar on my house, sold my 991.2 turbo S and about to sell my daily so I can purchase a Tesla Plaid or Taycan turbo cross Turismo.
Old 07-05-2022, 01:21 PM
XLR82XS
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 692 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by Emeka
Do it! I just went solar on my house, sold my 991.2 turbo S and about to sell my daily so I can purchase a Tesla Plaid or Taycan turbo cross Turismo.
Taycan hands down. You'll be happier long-term.
Der-Schwabe (07-05-2022)
Old 07-05-2022, 02:35 PM
Dr. G7
Three Wheelin'

Received 324 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by Emeka
...I can purchase a Tesla Plaid or Taycan turbo cross Turismo.
We (on this Taycan Forum) give you no choice.
Old 07-07-2022, 08:20 AM
blraider97
Rennlist Member

I was able to find a compromise. Ended up keeping the GT3 and traded the Tesla for a ‘22 Audi Etron GT Prestige. Only mods will be aftermarket wheels and a slight drop via scan tool. There were almost zero new and a very limited number of Taycan 4s in the Texas market but none really fit my desired spec. Loving the Etron GT!

Old 07-07-2022, 08:21 AM
blraider97
Rennlist Member

I was able to find a compromise. Ended up keeping the GT3 and traded the Tesla for a ‘22 Audi Etron GT Prestige. Only mods will be aftermarket wheels and a slight drop via scan tool. There were almost zero new and a very limited number of Taycan 4s in the Texas market but none really fit my desired spec. Loving the Etron GT!
Forgot pic:

The following 2 users liked this post by blraider97:
Needsdecaf (07-15-2022), thebishman (07-11-2022)

Quick Reply: Sanity Check!