Sponsored by:

Must have options- GTS ST ??

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2022, 09:10 AM
Dr. G7
Three Wheelin'

Received 324 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by skl2
I thought the same thing about ACC, even though my Dad hates it. My TTS, Audi and truck all have it - all seem to have their own quirks. I figure with about 40k in options, what is one more?
Non- ACC is a deal breaker for me

I gave up my nonACC Taycan for that reason. ACC has quirks and will disengage randomly. But I am fully aware when it disengages. With the very very rapid acceleration, my ACC Taycan was a menace on the road.

Last edited by Dr. G7; 06-13-2022 at 03:21 PM.
The following users liked this post:
skl2 (06-13-2022)
Old 06-13-2022, 03:25 PM
Dr. G7
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by skl2
thanks for all that you’re adding to this post. I must be too stupid to even consider such a car. How about you move on, as this forum is about sharing information amongst enthusiasts. Funny we now have EV elitists…
EV elitists here? Unfortunately yes. There's always the wannabe Ferdinand Porsche.

Setting bar very low: one has not seen elitists until one interacts with Tesla owners. They've really drunk the kool aid.
Old 06-13-2022, 03:35 PM
Dr. G7
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by kort677
there are no soft close doors for the taycan, and do not depend on charging at a dealership.

there is a lot that you seem to have to learn about life with an ev before taking delivery
Soft close is one of the most overrated options. My Panamera has this feature. I cringe every time someone slams the door. Me included.

In some European countries this Soft close feature is called suction doors. Very apt.

I can understand electric door closures on the yard long door of the Silver Dawn. On a Taycan, no.

About charging at the dealership: this is very iffy. My dealership (one of largest in NA and few miles from the mothership) has a level two charger with one plug. Yes, level two and one plug. The charger is inside a locked compound (i.e. not accessible after hours)

Last edited by Dr. G7; 06-13-2022 at 03:36 PM.
Old 06-13-2022, 09:29 PM
bluelines1974
Rennlist Member

Received 434 Likes on 231 Posts

I had soft close doors on my X5. Agreed, totally overrated. It was actually hard to "fail" to close the door so that the soft close feature would actually get used. 99 times out of a 100, even a very gentle pull would close the door fully anyway, making the option redundant. My friend who has this option on his E-Tron (not the E-Tron GT, the regular SUV-style E-Tron) actually goes out of his way not to close the door properly, just to get it to work. It's a bit ridiculous.

Originally Posted by Dr. G7
Soft close is one of the most overrated options. My Panamera has this feature. I cringe every time someone slams the door. Me included.

In some European countries this Soft close feature is called suction doors. Very apt.

I can understand electric door closures on the yard long door of the Silver Dawn. On a Taycan, no.

About charging at the dealership: this is very iffy. My dealership (one of largest in NA and few miles from the mothership) has a level two charger with one plug. Yes, level two and one plug. The charger is inside a locked compound (i.e. not accessible after hours)
Old 06-14-2022, 07:59 AM
kort677
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 257 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. G7
as far as I know the taycan does not have soft closing doors. the point is moot
porsche dealers are being forced to install the L3 porsche chargers. that said the dealerships are not required to keep the chargers accessible at all times, especially when the store is closed. at my local dealership in order to use the charger you need to go inside, find an upper level employee who has an access card to activate the machine for a charge.
I stand by my remark that the chargers at the porsche dealerships cannot be counted on to charge at when planning road trips.

Last edited by kort677; 06-14-2022 at 08:02 AM.
Old 06-14-2022, 04:06 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 962 Likes on 586 Posts

Yeah I've got a lot to learn but I guess that is part of the "fun" of new technology... I figure 99% of the time the car, which will be primarily my wife's car, will be charged at home and used around the greater PHX area so range shouldn't be a big deal. I doubt I'd ever really take it on a "road trip" though I do find it hard to spend that much money on a car I can't realistically jump in and drive to my son's house in Sioux Falls... except with a LOT of planning and extra stops. Just did that trip in my turbo S coupe, which I sold him, and we didn't need to worry about where to charge...
Old 06-19-2022, 12:16 AM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 962 Likes on 586 Posts

Well, you guys and my son have talked me into ACC so I guess I'll put up with the cyclops- not as irritating to look at on the Taycan compared to the turbo S as it is more hidden in the "grill." Gonna get heads up display as my wife likes that on her RS5. Now my salesman just needs to confirm we can do a sunroof delete on the ST and the build is set! Supposedly a September build- wonder when it will show up at the LA experience center!

Looking forward to the Parade at Palm Springs next summer as we had a big group going from the PHX area when it was cancelled a couple years ago... might need to take the "golf cart."
Old 06-20-2022, 10:26 AM
CanuckGT4
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 175 Posts

Do you put a lot of highway miles on every day? If not, why acc?
That's one option I'd never get as I don't do any highway driving at all unless on a trip.
Too bad no soft close doors as well, I love them. I'm still young enough to have small kids who sleep in the back so soft close works for us. Maybe when I'm crusty and old I'll hate them too.
Old 06-20-2022, 08:58 PM
bluelines1974
Rennlist Member

Received 434 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by CanuckGT4
Do you put a lot of highway miles on every day? If not, why acc?
That's one option I'd never get as I don't do any highway driving at all unless on a trip.
Too bad no soft close doors as well, I love them. I'm still young enough to have small kids who sleep in the back so soft close works for us. Maybe when I'm crusty and old I'll hate them too.
I never use ACC, but my dealer felt omitting it would be a dealbreaker for many potential buyers when it comes to resale. I think he has a point since virtually every car at this price point has ACC as standard.

Quick Reply: Must have options- GTS ST ??