Notices
Taycan 2019-Current The Electric Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lucid Air Grand Touring vs Taycan Sport Turismo GTS?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2021, 06:29 PM
drsubie
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Lucid Air Grand Touring vs Taycan Sport Turismo GTS?

I have deposits down for both a Lucid Air Grand Touring @ $139k as well as the Porsche Taycan ST GTS, my build coming in at a hefty~$165.

I have thought about going all in for EV for quite some time, as the majority of my driving is <10mi each way to work and I currently alternate between a 2019 Dodge RAM 1500 Limited and a 2018 BMW M550. I barely get the engine temps up going to work!

I don't shepherd 4 adults often, if at all, as it's just my wife and my 9y/o. I also don't typically take a lot of 'road trips', but when we do, it'd be mostly from Seattle-->Vancouver CAN or Whistler (~130 to 213 mi each way, respectively).

I have not had a chance to physically see either cars, as the Lucid Seattle showroom won't open until Q1 2022, and their closest showroom in Vancouver, Canada would be do-able, but I hesitate to have to deal with border x-ing and travel during this holiday season. I've seen plenty of Taycans, and even a X-turismo, but haven't driven either.

Wonder if anyone here has had a chance to look at or even drive a Lucid Air? I know the typical comparison would be between a Taycan and the Tesla Model S/Plaid, but I just feel the Tesla compromises (yoke, brakes, quality control, commonality) outweigh the outrageous 0-60 accel. Is the Lucid Air a good compromise between performance and luxury compared w/ Porsche?

What draws me to Lucid is it's performance (800hp, 0-60 3s, >500mi range) and purported luxury, tho Youtube videos I've seen appear to have quite a bit of road noise. Downside for me would be that it's a new model w/ a brand new mfr, and I'm not a huge fan of the looks (the 2-tone roof top seems Buick-ish, and the shape/appearance is fairly generic aero shape, though better looking than the MB EQS). Nearly $140k is also quite a risk to take on something so unproven.

Having said that, I'm also leery of the Porsche GTS. I love the looks, I trust the build quality, and I know it'll handle and be engaging to drive. What gives me pause, aside from the price, are some of the tech ergonomics (why couldn't they just make vents adjustable the old fashioned way?) and of course, the range. While 99% of my driving will be short trips, why is it the Porsche batteries and EV management seem to be quite a bit less compared to the other EVs? Which leads into my biggest concern of: is Porsche going to come out with a 350mi range Taycan in the next 1 to 2 yrs, which may plummet these used Taycan/ST/GTS in value?

Interested to hear everyone's thoughts. I have not seen many/any Lucid comparo threads... I have been somewhat agonizing over which EV to go with, or ultimately may just sit it out for and see what comes down the pipe in the next year or so...

Old 12-20-2021, 07:46 PM
Visceral
Rennlist Member

Received 279 Likes on 129 Posts

Well, you're on a Porsche forum, so.... you'll get one side of the answer, I suspect.

I understand that the Lucid has the range, the acceleration, etc. But I'm a station wagon guy, and I'm also a Porsche guy. If I had the money and the patience, I'd get the GTS, but I don't think there's a big enough difference with the 4S and so I order one of those instead. Like you, I build them hefty.

I also don't want to be on the bleeding edge of anything. I can afford to wait for the third model year of the Taycan, and so I guess that's my strong recommendation.
The following 2 users liked this post by Visceral:
drsubie (12-20-2021), ThomasCarreraGTS (08-03-2022)
Old 12-20-2021, 09:30 PM
edkwon
Racer

Received 246 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by drsubie
I have deposits down for both a Lucid Air Grand Touring @ $139k as well as the Porsche Taycan ST GTS, my build coming in at a hefty~$165.

I have thought about going all in for EV for quite some time, as the majority of my driving is <10mi each way to work and I currently alternate between a 2019 Dodge RAM 1500 Limited and a 2018 BMW M550. I barely get the engine temps up going to work!

I don't shepherd 4 adults often, if at all, as it's just my wife and my 9y/o. I also don't typically take a lot of 'road trips', but when we do, it'd be mostly from Seattle-->Vancouver CAN or Whistler (~130 to 213 mi each way, respectively).

I have not had a chance to physically see either cars, as the Lucid Seattle showroom won't open until Q1 2022, and their closest showroom in Vancouver, Canada would be do-able, but I hesitate to have to deal with border x-ing and travel during this holiday season. I've seen plenty of Taycans, and even a X-turismo, but haven't driven either.

Wonder if anyone here has had a chance to look at or even drive a Lucid Air? I know the typical comparison would be between a Taycan and the Tesla Model S/Plaid, but I just feel the Tesla compromises (yoke, brakes, quality control, commonality) outweigh the outrageous 0-60 accel. Is the Lucid Air a good compromise between performance and luxury compared w/ Porsche?

What draws me to Lucid is it's performance (800hp, 0-60 3s, >500mi range) and purported luxury, tho Youtube videos I've seen appear to have quite a bit of road noise. Downside for me would be that it's a new model w/ a brand new mfr, and I'm not a huge fan of the looks (the 2-tone roof top seems Buick-ish, and the shape/appearance is fairly generic aero shape, though better looking than the MB EQS). Nearly $140k is also quite a risk to take on something so unproven.

Having said that, I'm also leery of the Porsche GTS. I love the looks, I trust the build quality, and I know it'll handle and be engaging to drive. What gives me pause, aside from the price, are some of the tech ergonomics (why couldn't they just make vents adjustable the old fashioned way?) and of course, the range. While 99% of my driving will be short trips, why is it the Porsche batteries and EV management seem to be quite a bit less compared to the other EVs? Which leads into my biggest concern of: is Porsche going to come out with a 350mi range Taycan in the next 1 to 2 yrs, which may plummet these used Taycan/ST/GTS in value?

Interested to hear everyone's thoughts. I have not seen many/any Lucid comparo threads... I have been somewhat agonizing over which EV to go with, or ultimately may just sit it out for and see what comes down the pipe in the next year or so...
Two very different cars for two different types of customers IMHO.

1. Lucid Air - a rocketship roomy luxury Cruiser. It's like a futuristic Lincoln Town Car, except it's actually cool.

2. Taycan GTS Sport Turismo - if you want an actual extension door sports car or wagon that's meant for driving fast, especially in corners and bends.

Aside from similar price range and some superficial similarities, they are quite different to me 🤔

​​​​​​
​​​
The following users liked this post:
Needsdecaf (12-21-2021)
Old 12-20-2021, 11:00 PM
drsubie
Instructor

Originally Posted by edkwon
Two very different cars for two different types of customers IMHO.

1. Lucid Air - a rocketship roomy luxury Cruiser. It's like a futuristic Lincoln Town Car, except it's actually cool.

2. Taycan GTS Sport Turismo - if you want an actual extension door sports car or wagon that's meant for driving fast, especially in corners and bends.

Aside from similar price range and some superficial similarities, they are quite different to me 🤔

​​​​​​
​​​
I'm surprised there aren't more folks who are either x-shopping these 2, as there seems to be a lot of comparos to Model S Plaid vs Taycan, and the Lucid Air is supposed to be the competitor to the Model S/Plaid...
Old 12-20-2021, 11:23 PM
Zcd1
Racer

Received 135 Likes on 86 Posts

I'm surprised there aren't more folks who are either x-shopping these 2, as there seems to be a lot of comparos to Model S Plaid vs Taycan, and the Lucid Air is supposed to be the competitor to the Model S/Plaid...
Most buyers set a budget and then shop in/around that budget.

The fortunate few decide to buy a specific car or the “top of the line of whatever” regardless of budget.

Most buyers would see the 3 cars you mentioned as competitors because they span similar price ranges depending on trim.

Proponents of one brand or another will say they’re NOT competitors because of a specific aspect of their favorite that the competitors don’t align with, but that’s not how the bulk of the public buys cars.
Old 12-20-2021, 11:30 PM
edkwon
Racer

IMHO, a lot of the people who cross shop the Model S Plaid & Taycans also do it from an ill-informed place, because they seem to be similar on a superficial level but if one truly understands the nature of each car, they are also different cars for different kind of customers.
The following 5 users liked this post by edkwon:
AlexCeres (12-22-2021), George from MD (05-27-2022), gnop1950 (12-20-2021), Needsdecaf (12-21-2021), wizee (08-04-2022)
Old 12-21-2021, 11:27 AM
XLR82XS
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 692 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by Visceral
I also don't want to be on the bleeding edge of anything. I can afford to wait for the third model year of the Taycan, and so I guess that's my strong recommendation.
2026. New VW shared platform as well.

Trending Topics

Old 12-21-2021, 01:15 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,618 Posts

Why would you expect this? Except for similar-ish prices and a common fuel type, these are two totally different vehicles. Would you expect an Audi RS6 Avant to attract the same buyer as an A8L sedan? Or that a Merc E63S Wagon would appeal to the S550 buyer?

Same here. As others have said, these are just two vastly different cars.

Plaid S compares to Taycan as both are sedans, and both performance oriented. The Lucid is more of a Model S Long Range contender. But anyone who has sat in even a refreshed S would tell you it doesn't have the luxury mein to compete with Lucid or EQS.

Air vs. EQS is a total direct comparison.
The following 2 users liked this post by Needsdecaf:
daveo4porsche (12-21-2021), edkwon (12-21-2021)
Old 12-21-2021, 02:47 PM
edkwon
Racer

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
Air vs. EQS is a total direct comparison.
I totally agree with this Cross shopping comparos, and if I had to choose, I would go for the Lucid Air in a hot second.

Everything I've read / listened to in reviews of the EQS come across as a little underwhelming to me, as if Mercedes started with a clean sheet design for a dedicated EV platform flagship Sedan...and still compromised in some areas to appeal to legacy S class customers. The fact the front clamshell is completely sealed off with no usable frunk is still a design head scratcher to me. 🤔
Old 12-21-2021, 02:52 PM
XLR82XS
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I totally agree with this Cross shopping comparos, and if I had to choose, I would go for the Lucid Air in a hot second.

Everything I've read / listened to in reviews of the EQS come across as a little underwhelming to me, as if Mercedes started with a clean sheet design for a dedicated EV platform flagship Sedan...and still compromised in some areas to appeal to legacy S class customers. The fact the front clamshell is completely sealed off with no usable frunk is still a design head scratcher to me. 🤔
Good news is MB has been around long enough - **** they invented the car. Lucid is so young so it's hard to compare warranty, problems, service centers, etc...
Old 12-21-2021, 04:03 PM
drsubie
Instructor

Well, for me, since these EVs are in the similar ballpark price range (>$130k) with an emphasis more on luxury than outright performance, I have been "x-shopping" them. And even though the Taycan/CT/ST GTS variants are more performance oriented, I wouldn't say that it it's so far ahead in performance (and likewise, Lucid in comfort) as to not be comparable. I don't know if I'm making sense...

As for MB EQS vs Lucid, I don't have anything against MB, but I'm sorry, the exterior looks on their EQS really just takes it off my short list. The interior does look dreamy though (reminds me of a luxury yacht command center), but IMHO they should have compromised more on making a palatable body style/shape to give it some character, rather than an amorphous tear drop shape.

I saw Mat Watson on CarWow do a drive of their EQS AMG and thought about that for a hot minute, but there's only so much they can jazz up the bland shape with a mini spoiler and matte paint.

Ultimately, I will keep my GTS build on the books for now, and am hoping by the time I actually take delivery, any electrical gremlins get sorted out...
nycebo (12-29-2021)
Old 12-22-2021, 11:17 AM
edkwon
Racer

Well, for me, since these EVs are in the similar ballpark price range (>$130k) with an emphasis more on luxury than outright performance, I have been "x-shopping" them. And even though the Taycan/CT/ST GTS variants are more performance oriented, I wouldn't say that it it's so far ahead in performance (and likewise, Lucid in comfort) as to not be comparable. I don't know if I'm making sense...
Trust us existing Taycan owners when we say, while it's a luxury EV, it's definitely not 'plush' or as comfortable as the others you compare it to. It's low seated, stiffer seats and is geared much more towards a sports car driver but with 4 doors and rear seats.

And unlike the Panamera, which I've driven before, it feels like a much smaller sedan, also the rear seat leg room isn't the roomiest for adult passengers also leaning more towards a 4 door sports car feel.
drsubie (12-22-2021)
Old 12-22-2021, 03:13 PM
drsubie
Instructor

Trust us existing Taycan owners when we say, while it's a luxury EV, it's definitely not 'plush' or as comfortable as the others you compare it to. It's low seated, stiffer seats and is geared much more towards a sports car driver but with 4 doors and rear seats.

And unlike the Panamera, which I've driven before, it feels like a much smaller sedan, also the rear seat leg room isn't the roomiest for adult passengers also leaning more towards a 4 door sports car feel.
Good and valid points. Would you say that the rear seat room is disappointing for a car of it's size? This is probably why I'm more sold on a ST/CT variant for more headroom, though I won't be planning on shepherding >6' passengers in the back anytime soon (and my wife and I are <6')...
Old 12-22-2021, 03:21 PM
kort677
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 165 Posts

Good and valid points. Would you say that the rear seat room is disappointing for a car of it's size? This is probably why I'm more sold on a ST/CT variant for more headroom, though I won't be planning on shepherding >6' passengers in the back anytime soon (and my wife and I are <6')...
I disagree with the less room in the rear. there is plenty of room for average sized adults. overly tall or heavy people excluded
Old 12-22-2021, 03:31 PM
XLR82XS
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kort677
I disagree with the less room in the rear. there is plenty of room for average sized adults. overly tall or heavy people excluded
Agreed. (I'm 6' 3")

Quick Reply: Lucid Air Grand Touring vs Taycan Sport Turismo GTS?