Sponsored by:

Tycan windows blocking RFID for toll and gate opener

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2021, 08:51 AM
Don40
Track Day

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Tycan windows blocking RFID for toll and gate opener

I recently bought a Tycan with the thermal windows and the Florida toll transponder will not detect from the windshield, also my community gate RFID tag will operate through the windows. Has anyone ran into the same issue and what was the solution to this issue? I looked at the front license plate option but in Florida no front license plate requirement which looks ugly to me to add that to pay tolls.
thanks for any suggestions.
Old 11-29-2021, 12:12 PM
XLR82XS
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 692 Likes on 452 Posts

I have a '21 Taycan and my Sun Pass here in FL works not problem. Windshield is tinted with ceramic film as well. Did you mean to say your RFID will NOT operate? My gate access is a barcode sticker which I placed on the tiny 3/4 window.
I have seen some clear RFID stickers placed at the bottom of headlights and the like.
Old 11-29-2021, 01:09 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,903 Posts

On a related note, I saw that for model year 2022, Porsche has axed the signal amplifier in the phone compartment. I wonder if it was connected to some of the wireless charging phone overheating issues some people were having. I'm a bit bummed, because I ordered the thermal glass and was hoping that amplifier would negate any ill effects on cell signal.
Old 11-30-2021, 01:35 AM
Don40
Track Day

Yes the gate RFID will not transmit through any of the glass in the car, if I open the window it works. I have PPF on the headlights so can’t stick it there. I will have to stick it on the outside rear glass even though it is made for inside the car.

How do you like the ceramic windshield film, also where did you get it installed.

Last edited by Don40; 11-30-2021 at 01:39 AM. Reason: Add comment
Old 11-30-2021, 09:09 AM
XLR82XS
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 692 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by Don40
How do you like the ceramic windshield film, also where did you get it installed.
It's incredible. Ever car I own/have owned gets the tint treatment - every window. It's a must in hot sunny states. My A/C never has to work overtime.
Old 11-30-2021, 11:41 AM
thebishman
Burning Brakes

Received 429 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by Don40
Yes the gate RFID will not transmit through any of the glass in the car, if I open the window it works. I have PPF on the headlights so can’t stick it there. I will have to stick it on the outside rear glass even though it is made for inside the car.

If you look in the Owner’s manual does it not point out a small portion of the windshield that is designed to allow RFID type devices to transmit? The device of course has to be placed in that exact spot.
Old 12-02-2021, 01:32 AM
Don40
Track Day

Originally Posted by thebishman
If you look in the Owner’s manual does it not point out a small portion of the windshield that is designed to allow RFID type devices to transmit? The device of course has to be placed in that exact spot.
Thanks for reminding me to read the manual, if all else fails read the manual, page 170 shows the locations where hopefully the RFID will transmit will try tomorrow.
The following users liked this post:
thebishman (12-02-2021)

Quick Reply: Tycan windows blocking RFID for toll and gate opener