Sponsored by:

Taycan tax credit question

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2021, 01:35 AM
4dRennwagen
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Taycan tax credit question

I can't seem to find the answer to this online or searching here...

Could the $7500 tax credit expire for the Taycan at the end of 2021? I'm considering a CT 4 purchase with estimated December delivery.

Thanks!
Old 07-03-2021, 08:31 AM
kort677
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by 4dRennwagen
I can't seem to find the answer to this online or searching here...

Could the $7500 tax credit expire for the Taycan at the end of 2021? I'm considering a CT 4 purchase with estimated December delivery.

Thanks!
the tax credit is based on units sold. porsche has a long way to go to reach the limit which I believe is 200k units sold
The following 5 users liked this post by kort677:
4dRennwagen (07-03-2021), dashanin (07-03-2021), mdrobc1213 (11-17-2021), Needsdecaf (08-31-2021), PDACPA (08-31-2021)
Old 07-03-2021, 11:25 AM
SS22
Burning Brakes

Received 485 Likes on 336 Posts

The only way the current scheme goes away is if Biden’s proposed EV plan makes it into the reconciliation package as part of the infrastructure bill because Biden/Dems want the new EV credit to be for only American-made cars and non-luxury cars (perhaps under $75k). Even if that happens though, the new law would likely be effective Jan. 2022 (small chance it would be effective immediately). My understanding is that not enough senators would go for that and even if there’s an expansion of the EV credit, they’ll retain the current $7,500 credit for all EVs but increase the credit ($10k) for American-made non-luxury (or something along those lines).
The following users liked this post:
4dRennwagen (07-03-2021)
Old 07-03-2021, 11:31 AM
4dRennwagen
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts

Thanks gents!!

Now on to the question of whether to get a CT 4 or Cayenne GTS…😀!
Old 08-31-2021, 11:06 AM
Mitch911
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

One of the quotes I got for a lease, included the $7500 tax credit to reduce the price of the car effectively reducing the lease payment. Another quote had no mention of the tax credit. For those who lease, what is your experience with this? Thanks in advance.
Old 08-31-2021, 11:34 AM
SS22
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mitch911
One of the quotes I got for a lease, included the $7500 tax credit to reduce the price of the car effectively reducing the lease payment. Another quote had no mention of the tax credit. For those who lease, what is your experience with this? Thanks in advance.
Just helped my father lease a new Hyundai EV (he’s not into cars) and the dealer included the $7,500 federal tax credit and California’s $1,500 clean fuel rebate as discounts off the MSRP on the deal sheet. It should be factored into the lease for sure, whether they call it a tax credit, discount, incentive, etc.
Old 08-31-2021, 11:42 AM
Mitch911
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

I took another look at the quote that breaks out the tax credit and curiously, the bottom line lease price is just slightly higher than the quote that does not include the rebate. That probably means that the other quote factors the rebate into the lease rate.
Old 08-31-2021, 11:59 AM
SS22
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mitch911
I took another look at the quote that breaks out the tax credit and curiously, the bottom line lease price is just slightly higher than the quote that does not include the rebate. That probably means that the other quote factors the rebate into the lease rate.
Makes sense! And yea, I’d be surprised if they didn’t include it.
Old 09-03-2021, 09:32 AM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by SS22
The only way the current scheme goes away is if Biden’s proposed EV plan makes it into the reconciliation package as part of the infrastructure bill because Biden/Dems want the new EV credit to be for only American-made cars and non-luxury cars (perhaps under $75k). Even if that happens though, the new law would likely be effective Jan. 2022 (small chance it would be effective immediately). My understanding is that not enough senators would go for that and even if there’s an expansion of the EV credit, they’ll retain the current $7,500 credit for all EVs but increase the credit ($10k) for American-made non-luxury (or something along those lines).
When the 1.2M Infrastructure bill exited the Senate, it came with a non binding provision limiting the EV tax credit to cars costing under $40k. If this makes its way into the $3.5T House bill, the credit is essentially gone for P Car buyers. Stay tuned.
Old 09-03-2021, 11:02 AM
SS22
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 991carreradriver
When the 1.2M Infrastructure bill exited the Senate, it came with a non binding provision limiting the EV tax credit to cars costing under $40k. If this makes its way into the $3.5T House bill, the credit is essentially gone for P Car buyers. Stay tuned.
My comment that you quoted was from two months ago and based on the status of the bill at that point. Yes, three weeks ago, the Senate passed an amendment to limit the credit for sub-$40,000 cars. The amendment also has a provision limiting the credit for those making sub-$100k. Both of those provisions are misguided in my opinion if the ultimate purpose of all of this is to increase the number of EVs on the road. Most EVs cost more than $40k and the majority of folks buying them new make more than $100k (source) so if the goal is more EVs, then the incentive should be broad... Anyways, I still think any version of a new EV tax credit will likely not become effective until (or after) Jan. 2022 so whoever buys a Porsche EV this calendar year should still be able to get the $7.5k tax credit.

Last edited by SS22; 09-03-2021 at 11:07 AM.
991carreradriver (09-05-2021)
Old 09-03-2021, 11:13 AM
flygdchman
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 48 Posts

It wasn't Dems / Biden that drove the change. It was Senator Deb Fischer (R-NE).

https://electrek.co/2021/08/11/us-se...ev-tax-credit/

Wonder if it has anything to do with converting corn to ethanol?

It was a good move on her part. Effectively eliminate the tax credit and reduce demand for EV's and the Dem's couldn't argue lest be painted as supporting the wealthy.

Last edited by flygdchman; 09-03-2021 at 11:27 AM.
nycebo (09-03-2021)
Old 09-03-2021, 11:26 AM
SS22
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by flygdchman
It wasn't Dems / Biden that drove the change. It was Senator Deb Fischer (R-NE).

https://electrek.co/2021/08/11/us-se...ev-tax-credit/

Wonder if it has anything to do with converting corn to ethanol?
Right… But you are quoting my post from 2 months ago, and I never said the non-binding amendment from 3 weeks ago was led by Dems/Biden. What I said 2 months ago was accurate though. In fact, Biden’s original plan that was written on a White House Fact Sheet back in May 2021 made it clear that he does not want luxury cars to get the EV tax credit: “Consumer Incentives: Provide point-of-sale incentives that encourage EV deployment. These incentives will not go towards expensive luxury models...”(Source)
Old 09-03-2021, 12:00 PM
flygdchman
Instructor

This was the position prior to Sen Fischer gift to EV's

$250K income and $80K vehicle price so you are right that it wouldn't have helped Taycan buyers but would have incentivized more broad adoption of EV's Expanding and extending the EV tax credit

"An extension of the federal EV tax credit with a 600,000-vehicle manufacturer cap and a credit cut from $7,500 to $7,000 was included in last year’s federal spending bill, with bipartisan support, but cut by the White House. Without Trump and economic advisor Larry Kudlow, the second time could be a charm. Biden’s campaign has said that he is likely to seek establishing a $250,000 household-income limit for claiming the credit. Lifting the ceiling that currently punishes GM and Tesla for their early success with plug-in vehicles could even the long-term playing field. "

https://www.greencarreports.com/news...talking-points

Clean Energy for America

"In an effort to promote electric vehicle sales and, in turn, reduce the nation’s carbon footprint, the U.S. Senate Finance Committee has advanced legislation the would reset the current EV incentive program and enable tax credits as rich as $12,500, but there’s a catch.

The current program, which was enacted in 2010, gives EV buyers a one-time federal income tax credit of $7,500. However, these credits are not permanent, and phase out in two steps during the calendar year after an automaker sells 200,000 electric cars and/or plug-in hybrids. As it stands those buying or leasing EVs from Tesla and General Motors do not qualify for the credit, as both have reached the sales threshold.

If enacted, the “Clean Energy for America” bill eliminates the current sales cap, but would phase out over a three-year period once 50 percent of all U.S. passenger-vehicle sales were fully electric. That’s not likely to happen any time soon, with EVs accounting for just 7.8% of U.S. new-vehicle sales in the first quarter of 2011, according to Kelley Blue Book. Still, that’s up from 4.8 percent of the market a year ago.

Sponsored by Michigan Democrat Debbie Stabenow, the bill would increase the existing credit by $2,500 for EVs assembled in the U.S., and another $2,500 on battery-powered models built in a factory in which the workers are members of or are represented by a labor union. That would mean a lower credit for Tesla, which builds their EVs in non-union U.S. plants, as well as imports coming from Asia and Europe. In addition, the credits would be limited to EVs costing less than $80,000, which would exclude higher-end Teslas and European imports altogether.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/jimgorz...h=7341a4966862
Old 09-03-2021, 12:10 PM
SS22
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by flygdchman
This was the position prior to Sen Fischer gift to EV's

$250K income and $80K vehicle price so you are right that it wouldn't have helped Taycan buyers but would have incentivized more broad adoption of EV's Expanding and extending the EV tax credit

"An extension of the federal EV tax credit with a 600,000-vehicle manufacturer cap and a credit cut from $7,500 to $7,000 was included in last year’s federal spending bill, with bipartisan support, but cut by the White House. Without Trump and economic advisor Larry Kudlow, the second time could be a charm. Biden’s campaign has said that he is likely to seek establishing a $250,000 household-income limit for claiming the credit. Lifting the ceiling that currently punishes GM and Tesla for their early success with plug-in vehicles could even the long-term playing field. "

https://www.greencarreports.com/news...talking-points

Clean Energy for America

"In an effort to promote electric vehicle sales and, in turn, reduce the nation’s carbon footprint, the U.S. Senate Finance Committee has advanced legislation the would reset the current EV incentive program and enable tax credits as rich as $12,500, but there’s a catch.

The current program, which was enacted in 2010, gives EV buyers a one-time federal income tax credit of $7,500. However, these credits are not permanent, and phase out in two steps during the calendar year after an automaker sells 200,000 electric cars and/or plug-in hybrids. As it stands those buying or leasing EVs from Tesla and General Motors do not qualify for the credit, as both have reached the sales threshold.

If enacted, the “Clean Energy for America” bill eliminates the current sales cap, but would phase out over a three-year period once 50 percent of all U.S. passenger-vehicle sales were fully electric. That’s not likely to happen any time soon, with EVs accounting for just 7.8% of U.S. new-vehicle sales in the first quarter of 2011, according to Kelley Blue Book. Still, that’s up from 4.8 percent of the market a year ago.

Sponsored by Michigan Democrat Debbie Stabenow, the bill would increase the existing credit by $2,500 for EVs assembled in the U.S., and another $2,500 on battery-powered models built in a factory in which the workers are members of or are represented by a labor union. That would mean a lower credit for Tesla, which builds their EVs in non-union U.S. plants, as well as imports coming from Asia and Europe. In addition, the credits would be limited to EVs costing less than $80,000, which would exclude higher-end Teslas and European imports altogether.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/jimgorz...h=7341a4966862
I’m aware of all that. Thanks for sharing, but I don’t get your point or what your argument is! What I said about Biden/Dems wanting to limit the new tax credit to only non-luxury cars is true, which I estimated to be about $75k and now you’re saying they wants to limit to $80k, is that what you’re arguing with me about?!
Old 09-03-2021, 05:17 PM
flygdchman
Instructor

I’m aware of all that. Thanks for sharing, but I don’t get your point or what your argument is! What I said about Biden/Dems wanting to limit the new tax credit to only non-luxury cars is true, which I estimated to be about $75k and now you’re saying they wants to limit to $80k, is that what you’re arguing with me about?!
My point was the real cuts to EV's credits' came from the Republican side. Additionally there will be sub $80K luxury brand EV's that will be purchased by sub $250K households. $40K and $100K not so much.
Relative to this forum it would appear that Taycan buyers are rather nonplussed regarding the potential loss of the credit.

Last edited by flygdchman; 09-03-2021 at 05:49 PM.

Quick Reply: Taycan tax credit question