Sponsored by:

Just Shocked

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2021, 07:11 PM
gnop1950
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by GoTexas
What a coincident, my son has a Z06 with the Z07 package, and he got it tuned there where it's cammed and produces 900 RWHP. It's fast and loud. I have to admit that I wouldn't mind having it as a DD if it wasn't so loud. Agreed that I wouldn't want to take it on any long trip, but I wouldn't take my 911 either. I took my wife to run errands over the weekend, and after a couple of hours, my bottom was achy. I am sure the Taycan would be much better for trips, but now I'd have to stop every couple hundreds of miles to recharge. But, luckily, it'd only going to be a couple of times a year.
That is interesting, my son also has the Z07 package. I try not to ask him too much about it because he can talk for hours and hours once I get him started. That car is very very loud :-) The one thing he wishes his Corvette had, that the Taycan has, is the auto lift capability. I am a bit concerned about longer trips in an EV, but with all the new charging stations going in charging should become relatively painless. Not to mention at my wife's and my age driving for more than a couple of hours without a pit stop is pretty much out of the question.
Old 11-13-2021, 12:57 AM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,248 Likes on 522 Posts

I've tried searching, but couldn't find anything on the following video on here. It has been out for a while now so some of you must have seen it before. Prior to it, I've seen nothing but raving reviews on how nicely the Taycan handles, it drives like a Porsche because it has all of the Porsche DNA, etc. I couldn't really tell on my own test driving session because I never pushed it. Is this video going to make me cancel my order? The answer is an easy "No WAY". But, still, I was in shock after the first couple of minutes watching it. What do y'all think?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=om9il0msWbs&t=0s
I ended watch headed to her Youtube page and found two more driving videos. One is a F430 vs Gallardo, the other is Pista vs F8. All 4 cars she literally takes the exact same apexes like the Taycan. So it basically was just down to her poor driving.

She is the wife of the owner of Exotic Racing, as for her tutoring, let's just say I know someone who took lessons and went on to do the Ferrari Challenge North America. And basically just keep crashing there. Great instructors they have over there in Vegas.
The following 2 users liked this post by Whoopsy:
Der-Schwabe (11-13-2021), gnop1950 (11-13-2021)
Old 11-13-2021, 11:20 AM
GoTexas
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Whoopsy
I ended watch headed to her Youtube page and found two more driving videos. One is a F430 vs Gallardo, the other is Pista vs F8. All 4 cars she literally takes the exact same apexes like the Taycan. So it basically was just down to her poor driving.

She is the wife of the owner of Exotic Racing, as for her tutoring, let's just say I know someone who took lessons and went on to do the Ferrari Challenge North America. And basically just keep crashing there. Great instructors they have over there in Vegas.
Yeah, sounds like she's not one of the better drivers out there, but physics tells me there's some truth to what she was experiencing. The Taycan does weigh over 5000 lbs, and electric motors are torquey down low, but not as much up top. Regardless, I don't know of any twisty road in Houston that would even break a sweat for the Taycan. I just like the feeling of getting pushed back against the seat on the straights, and the Taycan is more than capable for that.
Old 11-13-2021, 12:51 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,872 Likes on 1,886 Posts

it's not a track car
it's a sport sedan
it's not a sports car
it's a sports sedan
it has instant torque
it gets the equivalent of 83 mpg or more
it can embarrass most sports cars
it's well built
it charges really fast
it's not a track car
it's super comfy
it handles really really well
it has a low CG (lower than the GT3)
it's a great car
it has no stamina on track
it is "over spec" for _ANY_ daily driving duty

if you want nimble get a Miata or something like it - cayman perhaps or something more appropriate than. sports sedan for track duty…

did I tell you it's not a track car?

I know because I've tracked mine, twice - just to have some facts on the situation - it's good for 5 or 6 laps - does really really well for it's size & weight - and is quicker than most any other car on track - until it's not because the battery thermals are being managed by porsche for warranty purposes…drive it to the track to track your actual track car.

Last edited by daveo4porsche; 11-13-2021 at 02:21 PM.
The following 7 users liked this post by daveo4porsche:
abatis (11-14-2021), AlexCeres (11-15-2021), Der-Schwabe (11-13-2021), flygdchman (11-15-2021), mikeearly (11-13-2021), Needsdecaf (11-15-2021), wizee (11-13-2021) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 11-13-2021, 02:46 PM
GoTexas
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche
it's not a track car
it's a sport sedan
it's not a sports car
it's a sports sedan
it has instant torque
it gets the equivalent of 83 mpg or more
it can embarrass most sports cars
it's well built
it charges really fast
it's not a track car
it's super comfy
it handles really really well
it has a low CG (lower than the GT3)
it's a great car
it has no stamina on track
it is "over spec" for _ANY_ daily driving duty

if you want nimble get a Miata or something like it - cayman perhaps or something more appropriate than. sports sedan for track duty…

did I tell you it's not a track car?

I know because I've tracked mine, twice - just to have some facts on the situation - it's good for 5 or 6 laps - does really really well for it's size & weight - and is quicker than most any other car on track - until it's not because the battery thermals are being managed by porsche for warranty purposes…drive it to the track to track your actual track car.
No argument here...
Old 11-13-2021, 03:29 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,248 Likes on 522 Posts

Yeah, sounds like she's not one of the better drivers out there, but physics tells me there's some truth to what she was experiencing. The Taycan does weigh over 5000 lbs, and electric motors are torquey down low, but not as much up top. Regardless, I don't know of any twisty road in Houston that would even break a sweat for the Taycan. I just like the feeling of getting pushed back against the seat on the straights, and the Taycan is more than capable for that.
Yup. Like all street cars, Taycan is setup to have understeer first if one plow into a corner too fast. That's exactly what she is experiencing. She simply entering the corner too hot. Probably not used to the car getting up to speed so much faster than she expected. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I only have a 4S, but I love taking it up and down my local mountain highway. Supremely precise at 8/10th. Different kind of fun than driving a 911 on the same roads.
The following 5 users liked this post by Whoopsy:
daveo4porsche (11-13-2021), gnop1950 (11-14-2021), jackbenner (11-16-2021), Needsdecaf (11-15-2021), wizee (11-13-2021)
Old 11-15-2021, 11:30 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,618 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
It’s not a track car, it’s a luxury sedan. Plus I’m gonna guess it had all season tires on it.

You might watch some other test videos to get additional perspective.
Always consider the source, the intent and the bias.

There are only certain reviewers I trust to give true driving impressions. All the rest is just normal "rides good" type of evaluation.

Last edited by Needsdecaf; 11-15-2021 at 11:33 AM.
Old 11-15-2021, 11:41 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,618 Posts

Originally Posted by Visceral
If you can't hit the apexes, slow down until you can You might find that you can then speed up a bit when you're driving the right line. There's no telling what alignment the car had nor the condition of the tires, but I'm sorry she had a bad experience. Now compare it to a G63
She has a G63 review to watch.

BTW, I'm not being a mysoginist when I post this. There are many fantastic women drivers out there that I respect the hell out of. I have the feeling very few of them have the above thumbnail on their YouTube page.
The following users liked this post:
flygdchman (11-15-2021)
Old 11-15-2021, 06:30 PM
flygdchman
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 48 Posts

As was mentioned before can you say clickbait.

Quick Reply: Just Shocked