Notices
Taycan 2019-Current The Electric Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

911 to Taycan: anyone switched? Regrets?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2021 | 11:48 AM
markc911

We do not currently have any new Taycan's on our lot and everything coming in in the next few months is sold. However, I do have a really nice preowned 2021 CPO Taycan Turbo S with 1,700 miles that just came in and is currently available. Also, I did just get 4 allocations for custom orders. I received 2 - GTS Sedan, 1 - 4S, and 1 - RWD allocation. If anyone is interested in the preowned or one of my allocations please contact me at 901-569-9616. Thanks
The following 2 users liked this post by markc911:
AlexCeres (11-24-2021), daveo4porsche (11-25-2021)
Old 11-27-2021 | 05:23 PM
Sharky114
Intermediate

hi guys,

I am the forum starter of the other thread.

I sold a 992 for a Taycan 4s.

From the moment I closed the deal, I regretted it. Upshifting, but especially downshifting in the 992 is an experience. The feeling of being in control of the car is much more present on the 992 than on the Taycan.

The Taycan sprints away without emotion and is really nothing more than a better built Tesla. Of course that is my opinion and does not have to be the opinion of the rest
I know I'm pissing people off with this, but my wife's Tesla Model S actually drives better, has better tech/software and autopilot. I am a big proponent of electric driving for commuting, but while I still can I try to enjoy the smell of warm oil and the crackling of the exhaust after a spirited drive in my new 992.

I sold the Taycan after 1000km and found the software worthless. Getting in and out was difficult and the car felt big.
You may wonder why I went for the Taycan in the first place. I think it's mainly the looks. The car looks special and looks like it comes from the future.

For me, however, the Taycan does not give the special feeling of owning a Porsche. Maybe it's because I'm used to my wife's Model S, maybe it's because I think the 911 is more stylish than the Taycan, or maybe it's because the Taycan is too late and feels like a car born out of necessity.
Everyone should of course do what they feel comfortable with and the Taycan is the future, but it still feels too much like an experiment to me. Porsche did it before in the past. Think of the 928. That was a driving laboratory for Porsche and eventually became a classic.

Old 11-27-2021 | 11:20 PM
subwoofer
Rennlist Member

Well you went further and experienced ownership no matter how disappointing. I couldn’t even get past the size of the car, the difficult entry/exit, the small cabin relative to the the overall size of the car and the non-existent rear visibility. Electric alternative to the Panamera if that but not a 911 replacement.
Old 11-28-2021 | 12:11 AM
mlambert890
Instructor

Super super tough question. My last Porsche prior to the Taycan was a 997 Turbo, but it wasn't a direct move - I moved from a Tesla Model S to the Taycan Turbo. I'm not going to pretend that a Taycan Turbo is a 997 Turbo, but it's shockingly close all things considered. It's pretty amazing what Porsche managed to achieve. I was figuring it would be basically an electric Panamera, but it really isn't. In many ways it really is like a 4 door, electric, 911 in overall feel, and it hides its massive size in ways that you'd assume would be impossible. Next to the Taycan, the Model S Performance I left feels like a boat. I can't understand how anyone can say the Model S in any way drives better than any Taycan. The steering is dead numb. The suspension is too soft (and I had a Raven). Braking is almost entirely regen (if you need to lean on the actual brakes you quickly learn the cars limits) and it's neutral and composed around curves, until it's not and once it's not, the magic evaporates and suddenly it really does feel its weight and size. I'll leave aside the points about "tech" because in some ways, mainly OTA updates, infotainment UI, Teslas proprietary charging and ofc Autopilot they're way ahead, but in other's they're not - no HUD, no 4 wheel steering, no CarPlay/Android Auto, no ventilated/massaging seats, 2 zone climate only, no night vision, no ambient lighting, no surround view camera.

I test drove the e-Tron as well and, while miles better than the Model S dynamically, wasn't ballpark to the Taycan. No other EV (so far) manages what Porsche has accomplished here in terms of driving dynamics. Feels every bit "a Porsche" to me...

Last edited by mlambert890; 11-28-2021 at 12:22 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by mlambert890:
Der-Schwabe (11-30-2021), gnop1950 (11-28-2021)
Old 11-28-2021 | 12:27 AM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sharky114
hi guys,

I am the forum starter of the other thread.

I sold a 992 for a Taycan 4s.

From the moment I closed the deal, I regretted it. Upshifting, but especially downshifting in the 992 is an experience. The feeling of being in control of the car is much more present on the 992 than on the Taycan.

The Taycan sprints away without emotion and is really nothing more than a better built Tesla. Of course that is my opinion and does not have to be the opinion of the rest
I know I'm pissing people off with this, but my wife's Tesla Model S actually drives better, has better tech/software and autopilot. I am a big proponent of electric driving for commuting, but while I still can I try to enjoy the smell of warm oil and the crackling of the exhaust after a spirited drive in my new 992.

I sold the Taycan after 1000km and found the software worthless. Getting in and out was difficult and the car felt big.
You may wonder why I went for the Taycan in the first place. I think it's mainly the looks. The car looks special and looks like it comes from the future.

For me, however, the Taycan does not give the special feeling of owning a Porsche. Maybe it's because I'm used to my wife's Model S, maybe it's because I think the 911 is more stylish than the Taycan, or maybe it's because the Taycan is too late and feels like a car born out of necessity.
Everyone should of course do what they feel comfortable with and the Taycan is the future, but it still feels too much like an experiment to me.
Agree with this, the last thought in particular. The Taycan is a very impressive car, but I’m waiting for the 718 electric version to be my daily. For now I still prefer my Tesla model 3 Performance for a fun tossable daily driver, while I enjoy weekend, track, and trips in my 991.2 GT3.

I summarized those thoughts after driving my model 3 performance and a Taycan Turbo back to back in a previous thread, post #45.

https://rennlist.com/forums/taycan/1...-models-3.html

Last edited by Drifting; 11-29-2021 at 02:45 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Needsdecaf (11-29-2021)
Old 11-29-2021 | 02:05 PM
Visceral
Rennlist Member

Keeping the 991 for now, but the CT 4S is on order as is a PTS Spyder with a few CXX goodies. I'd like a NA ICE convertible two-set car with a stick shift that is extremely engaging as a long term "keeper". The 911 is a bigger PDK car and isn't the best representative of what an engaging ICE car could be (if I kept a car in our oncoming electric future), so I've individualized a Spyder and we'll see if I end up keeping the 991 in the long term. Before the Taycan the 991 might have been the perfect daily commuter... but I don't commute much any more.
Mcx (12-05-2021)
Old 11-30-2021 | 10:56 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Drifting
Agree with this, the last thought in particular. The Taycan is a very impressive car, but I’m waiting for the 718 electric version to be my daily. For now I still prefer my Tesla model 3 Performance for a fun tossable daily driver, while I enjoy weekend, track, and trips in my 991.2 GT3.

I summarized those thoughts after driving my model 3 performance and a Taycan Turbo back to back in a previous thread, post #45.

https://rennlist.com/forums/taycan/1...-models-3.html
Sent you a PM.
Old 12-01-2021 | 09:36 PM
flygdchman
Instructor

I too am hoping for a smaller EV. Model 3 size but well crafted and styled.
Old 12-02-2021 | 11:34 AM
XLR82XS
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by flygdchman
I too am hoping for a smaller EV. Model 3 size but well crafted and styled.
I do not like Hyundai but I like the look of the Ioniq 5.
Old 12-02-2021 | 12:41 PM
Visceral
Rennlist Member

Drove the 911 yesterday and had forgotten how loud the tires noise is. For commuting, the Taycan sure is more quiet. Both have ACC.
flygdchman (12-02-2021)
Old 12-05-2021 | 02:08 PM
ronnb
2nd Gear

I prefer both....
AlexCeres (12-05-2021)
Old 12-05-2021 | 03:11 PM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ronnb
I prefer both....
this is obviously the true and correct response.

Quick Reply: 911 to Taycan: anyone switched? Regrets?