Notices
Taycan 2019-Current The Electric Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

911 to Taycan: anyone switched? Regrets?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2021, 04:49 AM
pascalemod
Racer

Received 105 Likes on 64 Posts
Default 911 to Taycan: anyone switched? Regrets?

Considering how different cars to some, yet I wonder have any of you actually sold a 911 to buy a Taycan?

What are your thoughts post switch, do you regret and would you wish you kept 911? Or once in EV you cant go back to the usual car?

I cant ask this on 911 forum as I will be eaten alive, and I do love the little round eyes every time I come up to it... yet I feel at times Taycan is just a 4 door 911 thing with slightly more practicality, that looks beautiful and has character just like 911. I dont care for new 911s in terms of looks, so do not see myself buying one. I also don't drive my 997.2 as much as I wish lately, it drove about 6k miles in last 2 years only. Garaged, on trickle charger, with constant oil changes to keep it fresh and mandatory blast through fast roads to keep the parts moving, I wonder if Im the only one who thinks may be a fast EV that handles great is a good idea or super dumb one.

Thoughts? Am I crazy considering to sell 911 (and one earmarked for being a future classic at that, a .2 997) - and buy a Taycan?
Old 10-26-2021, 09:50 AM
XLR82XS
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 692 Likes on 452 Posts

If you can swing both - have both. If your circumstances allow for only one car - Taycan. Taycan reminds me of a 4-door 911 even with the 5000 pound weight. Will it perform like a 911 in curves and on a track? No. But it's DAMN great at everything it does and works extremely well as a daily duty machine.
I adore my Taycan and look forward to driving it more everyday.
The following 3 users liked this post by XLR82XS:
Der-Schwabe (10-26-2021), pascalemod (10-26-2021), ronnb (12-05-2021)
Old 10-26-2021, 12:34 PM
pascalemod
Racer

Originally Posted by XLR82XS
If you can swing both - have both. If your circumstances allow for only one car - Taycan. Taycan reminds me of a 4-door 911 even with the 5000 pound weight. Will it perform like a 911 in curves and on a track? No. But it's DAMN great at everything it does and works extremely well as a daily duty machine.
I adore my Taycan and look forward to driving it more everyday.
Not sure I can swing both. Get both is logical but my annoyance is I drive so little the 911 will just waste away sitting in garage. Cars should be driven... And I reckon Taycan or EV will do fine even if standing sometimes. PLus, parking, charging is easier where I live (Sweden) because of infrastructure ramp up.

My current daily driver is a sedan bmw 3 series. Car I like dearly for its simplicity and non fussiness. I might keep that with Taycan, but 911 and Taycan could be tricky due to the simple fact that 911 does not get driven in winter (which is 5 months long).

Last edited by pascalemod; 10-26-2021 at 12:52 PM.
Old 10-26-2021, 12:40 PM
chong0
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 93 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/992/1273...do-regret.html

Hoping to have both when the time comes...
The following users liked this post:
pascalemod (10-26-2021)
Old 10-26-2021, 02:44 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,968 Likes on 1,926 Posts

I've not regretted any of my EV's - except the Leaf - really really regret the Leaf - but who wouldn't.
The following 4 users liked this post by daveo4porsche:
AlexCeres (10-27-2021), pascalemod (10-26-2021), spdracerut (10-29-2021), XLR82XS (10-26-2021)
Old 10-26-2021, 03:02 PM
pascalemod
Racer

Originally Posted by chong0
https://rennlist.com/forums/992/1273...do-regret.html

Hoping to have both when the time comes...
Enjoying that thread immensely. The guy sold 992 though. I mean 992 is not 997. I drove 992 (4S cab), and it is a monster, more muscle car than 911 of what Im familiar with. I also drove Turbo S Taycan (again, not for me, too much). WIll be very curious to see what comes out of my search. But that negative experience is great to have for perspective. Now I need to hear from you guys who sold 911 to get a Tyacan and liked it.
Old 10-26-2021, 05:50 PM
whiz944
Burning Brakes

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche
I've not regretted any of my EV's - except the Leaf - really really regret the Leaf - but who wouldn't.
No thermal management, so really rapid battery degradation. Especially in hot weather.

One of my brother in laws went through two of them - a 2011 and a 2013. He was on a waiting list to get one of the first 2011s, and was even offered money for his spot. He turned down the offers. But he lives in the Houston area - where of course it gets really hot. He told me he couldn't take his wife over to the Galleria and back on a single charge. These days he is driving a Prius. Ugh.
Old 10-26-2021, 06:22 PM
az2au
AutoX

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by pascalemod
Considering how different cars to some, yet I wonder have any of you actually sold a 911 to buy a Taycan?

What are your thoughts post switch, do you regret and would you wish you kept 911? Or once in EV you cant go back to the usual car?

I cant ask this on 911 forum as I will be eaten alive, and I do love the little round eyes every time I come up to it... yet I feel at times Taycan is just a 4 door 911 thing with slightly more practicality, that looks beautiful and has character just like 911. I dont care for new 911s in terms of looks, so do not see myself buying one. I also don't drive my 997.2 as much as I wish lately, it drove about 6k miles in last 2 years only. Garaged, on trickle charger, with constant oil changes to keep it fresh and mandatory blast through fast roads to keep the parts moving, I wonder if Im the only one who thinks may be a fast EV that handles great is a good idea or super dumb one.

Thoughts? Am I crazy considering to sell 911 (and one earmarked for being a future classic at that, a .2 997) - and buy a Taycan?
I sold a 2018 911 GTS (by far my favorite of the 3 911s I have owned) for a Taycan Turbo and haven't regretted it at all. I said this in another thread but I'll say it again here. I keep saying that I'm going to buy a GT4 for an additional fun car but then every time I get serious about doing it I just realize that I'd basically never actually use it. Maybe 1-2 trips/week at most and they'd likely be short. I'd need to put it up on a some sort of lift as well to have enough room in our garage even though it is meant for 5 cars (my wife gets one of the two car ones for just her, trust me, that's better for everyone). Which means I'd have to plan to use it well in advance or it'd be a pain to get down as well. I occasionally miss the 911 I guess but just not enough for me to regret it even a little bit.
pascalemod (10-26-2021)
Old 10-26-2021, 06:35 PM
mikeearly
Pro

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

........ Now I need to hear from you guys who sold 911 to get a Tyacan and liked it.
I sold a 991.1 S Cab and bought a Taycan RWD and I have no regrets. Admittedly at 77 (with bad knees) it was getting harder for me to get in and out of the 911 and that drove the change as much as anything. I've had the Taycan for 2 months now and am very happy with the car. I charge at home and really enjoy the gas savings (now that it is close to $4 per gallon in my area), the car's handling is very acceptable and while not like my 911 it feels better to me than my Cayenne S, the acceleration around town and on the highway is plenty using the car as a daily driver, it gets more comments than my 911 did, I ran it at VIR and was extremely impressed with it ability on the track, and I love the way it looks - both inside and outside.

So, as a data point of one, you can count me as liking the change.....
The following 4 users liked this post by mikeearly:
abatis (10-29-2021), gnop1950 (11-27-2021), Mcx (12-05-2021), pascalemod (10-26-2021)
Old 10-26-2021, 08:09 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,903 Posts

I went through the same internal debate and decided Taycan 4S over 911. I view the Taycan as an electric 911 with more practicality traded off for a little performance loss. Haven’t received mine yet so can’t tell you if I think I made the right decision or not. I have a 718 GT4 for weekend fun though.m

The fact that the 992 is hideous did make the decision a bit easier .
The following 2 users liked this post by Archimedes:
AlexCeres (10-27-2021), nycebo (10-29-2021)
Old 10-27-2021, 02:08 AM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Received 1,703 Likes on 1,041 Posts

if it was a 991, I’d suggest just selling it, getting the taycan and if you don’t like it get a 992. A 997 is awfully nice. If you can swing both, at least for a while, I’d do that. You may find you don’t like the taycan or that you just stop driving the 997 entirely and then you’ll know.

It helps for cars to have clear roles in your garage. A taycan isn’t a great track car. It is a great daily. So it’ll depend a bit on what you need. My 911 is making way for a taycan because all the ways it’s better than a taycan are in turn beaten by my gt4. My garage doesn’t need what the 911 offers above a taycan.

If you can find your way to PEC LA or Atlanta, I’d heartily recommend driving the cars back to back on the track.
pascalemod (10-27-2021)
Old 10-27-2021, 02:40 AM
riotgear
Rennlist Member

Received 481 Likes on 211 Posts

I have both, a 992 Turbo S and Taycan Turbo S. If I could only have one, the Taycan would go without a second thought. The 992 Turbo S handles better, is faster, and more fun.

Last edited by riotgear; 10-27-2021 at 02:42 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by riotgear:
dashanin (11-25-2021), pascalemod (10-27-2021), stetty (11-10-2021)
Old 10-28-2021, 10:13 AM
pascalemod
Racer

Thanks to everyone opining.

I just took the car for a few hour test drive, pretty well specced rwd version with extended battery.

I LOVED IT.

Extremely impressed with performance - in city it is as fast as my 997.2 C2. No, faster. Because the 6 needs to be revved to perform. This thing has power all the time. Lovely.

I also think the sound module is a fantastic thing. I wont have it on all the time, but it was nice to put it to sport mode and hear this thing whirr like some star wars thing. It made me think Porsche has the right guy on the job somewhere deep within.

Also, I got back into 911 and drove home thinking wow, Taycan feels similar ish in terms of "porscheness". Very good that.

I think Silver or Crayon is for me, with simple black interior... but if I was to splurge, I would go for Blue interior. So my ideal spec is Silver car, blue interior, and 20in Turbo aero wheels (which I would only get for comfort, as looks wise those blade alloys that you can get in carbon are the best looking, imho).

In terms of options, I think I can spec it reasonably well. Im surprised this car is so "cheap" for Porsche.

You really need to spec the following in my view:
- Performance Battery
- Seats with memory (sport seats not needed for me)
- Head Up
- Bose
- heated steering wheel (for winter climate, me)
- Sport Chrono I guess is needed for drive modes
- debadge
- Dolomite Silver or Cryaon for splurging
- Turbo 20in aero rims
- heated seats

Not so must, but nice to have:
- 4 wheel steering for that added agility on this rather beefy car
- glass roof as it adds space above head, may be even a must have

The stuff not needed:
- gloss white brakes
- extended leather
- trim inserts
- puddle lights with Porsche logos

(those things were on my test car above)

So I will be looking at this car way more seriously now.

I also hope, in vain probably, that replacing battery will be cheaper than engines, and in fact you could upgrade battery over time to better ones. And I think electronics on modern cars are good, we can hope that one day you can purchase a battery upgrade for taycan. That would make this car way more sustainable.

Otherwise, this car has nothing to do with green future, and everything to do with next chapter in personal transportation and I loved puddling around town in this thing. It turned way more heads than my 911 also, which is something I dont like that much but hey, I can live with that.

Sorry for long post, but was good to NOT be dissapointed.

Last edited by pascalemod; 10-28-2021 at 10:43 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by pascalemod:
daveo4porsche (10-28-2021), T3X4S (10-29-2021)
Old 10-28-2021, 12:30 PM
rewardforsuccess
Advanced

Received 54 Likes on 28 Posts

Yeah, but it won't steer as good as the 911. Also, will be kind of boring with all the electric numbness. Make sure you don't get fooled by the novelty. It also doesn't look as cool as the 911. Also, fuel economy .
Old 10-28-2021, 01:48 PM
XLR82XS
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 692 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by rewardforsuccess
Yeah, but it won't steer as good as the 911. Also, will be kind of boring with all the electric numbness. Make sure you don't get fooled by the novelty. It also doesn't look as cool as the 911. Also, fuel economy .
Matter of opinion on looks. (Taycan looks incredible) What novelty are you speaking of? Electric numbness? The only "numbness" I ever felt with an EV was a Tesla. It got sold this year for my '21 Taycan.

Quick Reply: 911 to Taycan: anyone switched? Regrets?