Notices
Taycan 2019-Current The Electric Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What non Porsche level 2 home chargers are you using?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2021, 03:21 PM
edkwon
Racer

Received 246 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by XLR82XS
FWIW I'm using the Porsche charger and getting the same: 0.4 mi/min. (60-amp circuit with 14-50)
The 14-50 Nema outlet restricts the current to the wall charger to 40A, even if you installed a 60A circuit. To get faster charging speeds you'd need to hardwire your Wallbox directly to the 60A circuit.

I'm a little disappointed because our Tesla Model Y charges a little faster at 0.5 mi/min (30 mi/hr) thru the mobile wall connector at a current of 32A plugged into another Nema 14-50 outlet in our garage.

Not sure if the Taycan's onboard AC charger is just a little sluggish compared to the Tesla.
Old 07-16-2021, 03:22 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,647 Likes on 1,783 Posts

for the most part EV chargers are exactly the speed of the circuit they are being "fed" by - so charging speed should _NOT_ vary by EV charger - it is a simple matter of volts * amps = watts

_ANY_ NEMA 14-50 EV charger will deliver 9.6 kW

50 amp circuit breaker (NEMA 14-50) derated by 20% for continuous load (building code and electrical safety requirement) = 40 amps of usable capacity on the circuit

240 volts * 40 amps = 9,600 watts - or 9.6 kW

9.6 kW "raw" charging rate "hits" the Taycan's battery at about 8.897 kW to the battery (losses due to AC/DC conversation and charging overhead) = 0.4 mi/min of charge…

all NEMA 14-50/6-50 50 amp breaker EV chargers should yield this charge rate regardless of manufacturer

the _ONLY variable is the actual voltage in your home - 240 volts is the "ideal/goal" amount - but in practice actual voltage can vary from about 210 volts to 255 volts depending on neighborhood, time of day, length of a electrical run, breakers, wire quality, phases of the moon...

so the actual range of watts for a 50 amp-breaker EVSE in North America is about:

210 volts * 40 amps = 8,400 watts
255 volts * 40 amps = 10,200 watts

so depending on local conditions for your local electrical grid your "raw" charge rate for any EV charger can be between 8.4 kW and 10.2 kW - all of this would be "normal" for a 50 amp breaker and expected for different circumstances…

having said that most people get 9.4 to about 9.8 kW from their home EV chargers - again depending on local electrical grid conditions (voltage)…

the Taycan in North America is shipped with an 11 kW on board EV charger (AC/DC converter) - it can handle and will benefit from a 60 amp breaker (48 amp charge rate) and charge slightly faster than a 50 amp charger. The downside to this is:
  1. porsche doesn't offer a 60/48 amp charger in North American
  2. any EVSE greater than 50 amp breaker MUST be hardwired - so it can't be "mobile"
  3. you'd need to purchase a 60 amp (breaker) EV charger and have it hard wired by an electrician with appropriate breaker and wire gauge for a 60 amp circuit
However your charge rate would be improved from an ideal 9.6 kW charge rate to an ideal 11.52 kW charge rate - which will charge your Taycan faster…

Last edited by daveo4porsche; 07-17-2021 at 02:05 AM.
The following 5 users liked this post by daveo4porsche:
ggreg911 (08-25-2021), KevinY (11-11-2021), PDACPA (07-19-2021), W8MM (07-17-2021), XLR82XS (07-16-2021)
Old 07-16-2021, 03:33 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

there seems to be a common misconception is that the EVSE is something "special" when in fact they are a barely minimal electrical safety "switch"…

using water as a metaphor the external EV charger (called an EVSE - Electrical Vehicle Supply Equipment) is a simple on/off valve - it is _NOT_ a filter that modifies the elecrtrical current

water valve (simple flow on/off) - NOT a water filter (cleaning up the voltage amps or supply)

in North America the all EVSE's I've encounter have the following purpose:
  1. Safety Device - the charging cord is _NOT_ electrified unless it is actually plugged into a vehicle securely - this means it won't electrocute you when you drop it in a puddle of water - this is it's _PRIMARY_ function - safety! Don't electrocute the EV owner.
  2. Remote "valve" on/off - controlled by the Vehicle's onboard/charger/software - the Taycan tells the EVSE to start/stop the electrical flow
  3. EVSE tells the Vehicle what it's capacity "is" - AMPS - so the vehicle's on board AC/DC converter does not request "too much" power/current - the Vehicle will limit it electrical current flow based on what capacity the EVSE reports to the vehicle
    1. this is why the Taycan which can charge at a full 48 amps will only charge at 1.44 kW (12 amps @ 120 volts) when you plug it into a household outlet with the included NEMA 5-15 plug with the PMCC - the porsche EVSE reports to the vehicle it can only do 12 amps (80% of 15 amps) when it communicates with the vehicle - so the Taycan's onboard charging software limited it's electrical request to only 12 amps and charges slower…
items 1-3 are why EVSE are not just a "dumb" extension cord…extension cords are:
  1. always electrified - safety issue
  2. have no flow control
  3. don't report their capacity
the J-1772 protocol (the North American SAE EV AC Level1/Level2 charging standard) was specifically designed to address items 1-3 in the above list…

Give up this notion that EVSE's are some mythical special complex piece of electronics - it's nothing more than an on/off switch that reports maximum capacity and makes sure it won't electrocute you when it's raining (vital feature and very very useful) - but the complex work of charging the battery is handled by the vehicle - NOT the external EVSE - all the EVSE does it start/stop the raw unfiltered-unmodified flow of AC power to the vehicle - it does not modify/fold/spindle/mutilate the flow - it's charging capacity/speed is no better/worse than the raw capacity of the electrical circuit it's wired to.

the Audi/VW/Porsche North American EVSE provided with the vehicle or purchased separately are very very expensive overly complex not that high of a quality EVSE - better options can be had for less money that are equal or better than the Porsche Native option. Seriously the Porsche PMCC purchased separately from the vehicle is $3200 from Porsche - an excellent super high quality EVSE can be had for $600 or less…and it won't overheat when plugged into a NEMA 14-50 outlet like the Porsche charger does because they cheaped out to save $0.77 in copper cost by shipping a 10 awg gauge wire in their supply cable vs. 8 to 6 gauge wire which would be a far better choice…I really really dislike the Porsche PMCC for it's feature set, size, weight, complexity, cost, and the fact that it fails in two dimensions (it overheats in normal use and isn't all that mobile - and hell "mobile" is in the product name!!)

it's really

Porsche's Massively Costly Charger

seriously there are better options - and these things by design should work with ANY EV…

the PMCC isn't a terrible option when included with the vehicle - included/free is better than separate purchase - but I'd never buy one separately - and if given the option I'd buy a non-Porsche EVSE for North America - ClipperCreek HCS-60 would be my goto choice. and I'd buy a separate mobile EVSE ($500 or less) if I wanted to carry a charger in the vehicle with me.

this is my $0.02

and while I dislike the PMCC - it does meet one criteria that matters - if it is your only EVSE you can expect it to charge non-Porsche EV's just as well as it charges your Taycan - it is in all sense of the standard a fully compliant J-1772 EVSE and it will charge all J-1772 EV's including your Tesla Model 3/Y/X/S - or chevy Bolt, Audi eTron, VW Golf, Rivian, Lucid Air, or any other EV we have to look forward to in North America. It's an expensive but mostly functional J-1772 EVSE that will work for all EV's current and future.

Last edited by daveo4porsche; 07-17-2021 at 02:06 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by daveo4porsche:
KevinY (11-11-2021), PDACPA (07-19-2021), W8MM (07-17-2021), XLR82XS (07-16-2021)
Old 07-16-2021, 03:54 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

and right on queue - this thread has some activity…

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/th...e-7#post-80286

melted NEMA 14-50 plug on the PMCC - porsche replaced under warranty - but has not addressed the cord design flaw (10 gauge wire in the supply cable) - OP says they would consider a nonPorsche charger.
Old 07-16-2021, 04:11 PM
whiz944
Burning Brakes

Received 416 Likes on 284 Posts

^^^^ This.

... in practice actual voltage can vary from about 210 volts to 255 volts...

One clarification: Residential voltages in North America are nominally 240V (and 120V) +/- a few percent. My house is typically at 245V - but I am only one pole from the transformer. My neighbors farther away from the transformer might be a little lower.

Commercial locations are generally fed with three-phase power, and a common single phase voltage derived from them is 208V. A LOT of the L2 charging stations you'll find in the wild run at 208V. Again, +/- a few percent, but generally a little lower due to line losses running wiring out to the parking lot.

As an aside, another common single phase commercial voltage is 277V. One common use is lighting in parking lots - which means there could have been a lot of pre-existing 277V infrastructure in handy spots for charging cars. Unfortunately J1772 failed to incorporate this voltage into their standard. All Teslas support 277V, but AFAIK, no other manufacturer does. It is really too bad as it was an opportunity missed.
The following users liked this post:
daveo4porsche (07-16-2021)
Old 07-16-2021, 10:21 PM
jhenson29
Burning Brakes

Received 1,100 Likes on 436 Posts

I have an 18kW Wattzilla Wall Wattz giving me 17kW at the car. No issues so far. It also doesn’t appear to get excessively hot as has been reported with the PMCC. Maybe 115F to 117F is the highest I’ve seen.
The following 2 users liked this post by jhenson29:
daveo4porsche (07-16-2021), W8MM (07-17-2021)
Old 07-18-2021, 10:46 PM
Dr Chill
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by 991carreradriver
I use a dumb charger - Grizzl -E, with the cold weather chord, highest UL weather rating for outdoor use. I never understood why folks spend $$ on smart chargers, when the car can control all charging aspects. It is a 50amp charger with settings that can go be set lower if required, either at the factory or in home by changing the DIP switch. It has worked flawlessly for me for the last three months - never a hiccup.

This is my charger as well. Built very solidly, cord heavy duty. Priced right.

daveo4porsche (07-18-2021)
Old 08-01-2021, 11:09 AM
daveyator
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 43 Posts

Just got our new to us Taycan4S yesterday so here's a cringe worthy pic of our charger. Our previous electric car was/is the 500e. The Porsche seems to like it just fine. I really think these chargers are generic. When it was installed, the installer had several brand faceplates. Wonder if there's a Porsche one?
Old 08-01-2021, 12:54 PM
whiz944
Burning Brakes

Received 416 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by daveyator
Just got our new to us Taycan4S yesterday so here's a cringe worthy pic of our charger. Our previous electric car was/is the 500e. The Porsche seems to like it just fine. I really think these chargers are generic. When it was installed, the installer had several brand faceplates. Wonder if there's a Porsche one?
"AV" is AeroVironment. A California company which has some very interesting history in the EV world. Back in the 1980s/1990s they did a lot of the development, along with GM-owned Hughes Aircraft, on GMs Sunraycer solar car. Then they helped GM develop the Impact show car that then turned into the GM EV1.

More recently they developed the TurboCord and TurboPort charging stations. (I have some experience managing a couple TurboPorts at a place I'm associated with.). The unit you have was widely sold by various auto companies as their "240V solution" - which explains the different face plates.

Pretty sure AV has spun off their EV stuff to a separate company these days.
daveyator (08-02-2021)
Old 08-12-2021, 09:26 PM
Ajjra
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Has anyone used a Juicebox 40 with their Taycan?
Old 08-12-2021, 10:14 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ajjra
Has anyone used a Juicebox 40 with their Taycan?
I don’t own one - but my friend has one at his house - I’ve charged my Taycan with one - it works fine

however - Juicebox started out life as a “DIY” EVSE- but over the years has been bought/sold/folded/spindled/mutilated - what you’re getting today is very different than say 18 months ago - I have no experience with the “newest” juice boxes

any North American J-1772 should work fine with any EV including the Taycan.
Old 08-13-2021, 05:52 AM
itrsteve
Burning Brakes

Received 695 Likes on 386 Posts

Our new construction has a 14-50 on a 60a circuit. The electrician was suppose to wire in our Tesla charger but that may be a blessing in disguise now.

I doubt I can return this charger has that would require customer service like a normal company.

But now we’re set on the Taycan route

Should I:
1.) Have the electrician hardwire in the Tesla charger

2.) Sell charger, just plug the car in directly (btw, our utility doesn’t bill on TOU)

3.) Sell charger, get a 14-50 Juicebox or something of the like.
Old 08-13-2021, 10:20 AM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

the Tesla Wall Charger is a good charger - all you need is a TeslaTap/JDapter (which is useful both at home and while traveling) - it will charge your Taycan at 48 amps (60 amp breaker) which is faster than a NEMA 14-50 charger.
itrsteve (08-13-2021)
Old 08-13-2021, 11:23 AM
Loess
Three Wheelin'

Received 170 Likes on 90 Posts

I ordered an Alpha charger from United Chargers about two or three months ago and I'm still waiting. It's not easy to get any real info from them.
Old 08-13-2021, 11:35 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,860 Likes on 1,902 Posts

I have a JuiceBox 40 hardwired on order but it has been delayed and they can’t tell me when it will be available…

Quick Reply: What non Porsche level 2 home chargers are you using?