Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Average Discount Off MSRP?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2021 | 01:06 PM
Taycan_123
1st Gear

Default Average Discount Off MSRP?

Hey guys, I'm looking to pull the trigger on a base Taycan RWD. A local dealer here has one with MSRP of $92,500 and I think I can get them to discount it by two grand. Is $2k fairly average for a low-optioned car or do you think I could do a little better? I don't want to have to travel out of state because that would negate any potential increase in savings by having to travel/take time off/ship the car/drive it back home. Any advise would be appreciated, thanks!
Old 05-17-2021 | 01:45 PM
flygdchman
Instructor

This one is nearly $8k off a $100k list
https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ckType=listing
Old 05-20-2021 | 11:21 AM
amelen
Pro

Discounts are very geo-specific and have become smaller in the last few months as demand has picked up. At the end of 2020, 6-8% was very attainable for a new-build (and even more for something on the lot). These days, getting an allocation is tricky, but I have seen 2-4% off; but again very GEO specific.

Disclaimer: I work with tons of dealerships, PM me if you want me to introduce you to any GM's to help with pricing.
The following 2 users liked this post by amelen:
Der-Schwabe (05-20-2021), Shims (06-09-2021)
Old 05-28-2021 | 09:26 AM
misterfring
AutoX

No inside info, but I’m shopping in the same general price range with a hope of getting a MY21 on the lot at the end of the cycle for a good discount. Reached our to my salesperson just to put some feelers out because I noticed the cars were moving pretty quickly. and I get the sense from him that the microchip issue will hurt discounts because it’s lowered stock and demand is only going up. I’ve seen in articles that this is a general trend with other manufacturers having bidding wars over new cars and people paying over ask.
Old 05-28-2021 | 10:16 AM
smohr33
Racer

Purchased my car a couple weeks ago and had prices on '21 4S on the lot ranging from no discount to 8% off. 3-5% on average I'd say.

I wound up picking up one of the last remaining '20 4S leftovers a for 14% off MSRP. Based on the declining availability of inventory, I'm very happy with the deal and the car.
The following 2 users liked this post by smohr33:
SS22 (05-28-2021), wlin2001 (10-31-2023)
Old 05-28-2021 | 01:55 PM
CarAholic
Rennlist Member

I'm wondering where everyone is seeing declining inventory there are over 600 new 4S on Autotrader alone. Been to five separate states lately and have stopped by the local P car dealer and all of them had an abundance of Taycans. Most still have some 2020 on the lot.
Old 05-28-2021 | 08:15 PM
SS22
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CarAholic
I'm wondering where everyone is seeing declining inventory there are over 600 new 4S on Autotrader alone. Been to five separate states lately and have stopped by the local P car dealer and all of them had an abundance of Taycans. Most still have some 2020 on the lot.
This was my experience too when I went to my local dealer to place my order for a new Panamera 4SEH. Lots and lots of Taycans sitting on the lot, including 2020 ones.
Old 05-30-2021 | 09:02 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Taycan is one of the few cars I have ever had a test drive in where I couldn't wait to give the keys back, finished the test drive early. It's completely uninteresting to me, and just ponderously heavy feeling and lacking feedback. Panamera any day over this, I simply don't get it as a performance car, and wouldn't pay the Porsche premium for it. The market seems to agree with me with over 1000 listed for sale and heavy discounts for cars on lots. I was offered 25k off without even asking when I brought it back from test drive.. admittedly this was over 2 months ago before chip shortage etc.

A $40k-$50k tesla makes sense to me, as an inexpensive ev which is quiet and unobtrusive to run daily chores.. but to pay $130k plus.. and in the case of the 4s i drove price was like $160k with pretty basic options, makes no sense... it wasn't even that fast, interior room was ****, and it didn't give me any feels that a basic tesla didn't. I realize Porsche pulled a great engineering feat in building it, but so what?

I think a lot of the premium brands will have trouble justifying and selling EV high performance cars to customers. I guess we'll see, but it's looking pretty grim for Porsche trying to recoup its taycan R&D investment... more and more of these $100k-$200k lithium barges are piling up on dealer lots.

Last edited by CAlexio; 05-30-2021 at 09:08 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by CAlexio:
George from MD (05-30-2021), pokingaround (06-02-2021), SS22 (05-30-2021), sullic (05-31-2021)
Old 05-30-2021 | 09:19 AM
kort677
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Taycan is one of the few cars I have ever had a test drive in where I couldn't wait to give the keys back, finished the test drive early. It's completely uninteresting to me, and just ponderously heavy feeling and lacking feedback. Panamera any day over this, I simply don't get it as a performance car, and wouldn't pay the Porsche premium for it. The market seems to agree with me with over 1000 listed for sale and heavy discounts for cars on lots. I was offered 25k off without even asking when I brought it back from test drive.. admittedly this was over 2 months ago before chip shortage etc.

A $40k-$50k tesla makes sense to me, as an inexpensive ev which is quiet and unobtrusive to run daily chores.. but to pay $130k plus.. and in the case of the 4s i drove price was like $160k with pretty basic options, makes no sense... it wasn't even that fast, interior room was ****, and it didn't give me any feels that a basic tesla didn't. I realize Porsche pulled a great engineering feat in building it, but so what?

I think a lot of the premium brands will have trouble justifying and selling EV high performance cars to customers. I guess we'll see, but it's looking pretty grim for Porsche trying to recoup its taycan R&D investment... more and more of these $100k-$200k lithium barges are piling up on dealer lots.
enjoy your tesla
The following users liked this post:
RONGLOS (06-09-2021)
Old 05-30-2021 | 11:04 AM
CarAholic
Rennlist Member

While I agree the price is steep. From a performance (driving dynamics) the Taycan is in a different class then both the panemera and any Tesla. The Tesla is a nice vehicle but in reality Porsche is not directly competing with it. I agree for a daily driver to do the normal commute stuff for the vast majority of people the Tesla is the right answer. However for those wanting a practical Porsche sports car experience and wanting to dip there toes in the electric market the Taycan is the only current answer. There is no right or wrong answer to either of these vehicles it's purely a personal decision. Neither of them is garbage and each fills its own niche in the market.
The following users liked this post:
Der-Schwabe (05-30-2021)
Old 05-30-2021 | 11:12 AM
smohr33
Racer

The market seems to agree with me with over 1000 listed for sale and heavy discounts for cars on lots.
Just because inventory is higher than other models doesn’t mean they aren’t selling.

Q1 2021 Porsche sold 2,008 Taycan and 451 Panamera.
Old 05-30-2021 | 01:23 PM
SS22
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CarAholic
While I agree the price is steep. From a performance (driving dynamics) the Taycan is in a different class then both the panemera and any Tesla. The Tesla is a nice vehicle but in reality Porsche is not directly competing with it. I agree for a daily driver to do the normal commute stuff for the vast majority of people the Tesla is the right answer. However for those wanting a practical Porsche sports car experience and wanting to dip there toes in the electric market the Taycan is the only current answer. There is no right or wrong answer to either of these vehicles it's purely a personal decision. Neither of them is garbage and each fills its own niche in the market.
How is the performance better on the Taycan? I considered the Taycan 4S with 0-60 of 3.8 seconds and opted for the Panamera 4S E-Hybrid (slightly more expensive) with 3.5 0-60 (3.2 road test by motor week), more powerful and faster, and when you add rear axle steering and PS+, the handling is superb (in my opinion, makes up for the Pan being a heavier and bigger car). As for Tesla, you can drop the same money on a Model S Plaid with 0-60 of 2 seconds, performance is not even close. Of course, you get premium quality and other pluses with Taycan being a Porsche and I definitely understand spending more to get Taycan (I’d do it myself). But on performance alone... Taycan needs some improvement.

Last edited by SS22; 05-30-2021 at 01:25 PM.
Old 05-30-2021 | 02:23 PM
CarAholic
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SS22
How is the performance better on the Taycan? I considered the Taycan 4S with 0-60 of 3.8 seconds and opted for the Panamera 4S E-Hybrid (slightly more expensive) with 3.5 0-60 (3.2 road test by motor week), more powerful and faster, and when you add rear axle steering and PS+, the handling is superb (in my opinion, makes up for the Pan being a heavier and bigger car). As for Tesla, you can drop the same money on a Model S Plaid with 0-60 of 2 seconds, performance is not even close. Of course, you get premium quality and other pluses with Taycan being a Porsche and I definitely understand spending more to get Taycan (I’d do it myself). But on performance alone... Taycan needs some improvement.
I was stating it's dynamic performance (handling) not straight line speed. The panemera with the performance bits is a great car but it can't match the low CG of the Taycan. I personally love the at speed response of electrics that can't be matched with ice engines. No wrong answer here all are great cars. If all you care about is that straight line rush the Tesla is extremely difficult proposition to beat. I've almost bought a couple of them myself but was concerned I would get tired of the car too quickly.

Last edited by CarAholic; 05-30-2021 at 02:25 PM.
Old 05-30-2021 | 02:28 PM
Calkar
Advanced

Originally Posted by smohr33
Purchased my car a couple weeks ago and had prices on '21 4S on the lot ranging from no discount to 8% off. 3-5% on average I'd say.

I wound up picking up one of the last remaining '20 4S leftovers a for 14% off MSRP. Based on the declining availability of inventory, I'm very happy with the deal and the car.
Wow, 14% off is a really good deal for a new (not demo) car. This is probably very location based. Here in the NorCal, it seems like 3% is about right for a custom order. But inventory car should get better discount.
Old 05-30-2021 | 09:36 PM
mb1
Rennlist Member

If I'm not mistaken CAlexio is a professional race driver in Europe. His frame of reference is probably different than that of the rest of us. (although not necessarily invalid)

Quick Reply: Average Discount Off MSRP?