Notices
Taycan 2019-Current The Electric Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Taycan pano glass roof - any aftermarket sun shades?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2021, 01:39 PM
edkwon
Racer

Received 246 Likes on 97 Posts
Default Taycan pano glass roof - any aftermarket sun shades?

Hi guys, so I just placed a deposit for a build order on a Cross Turismo 4S in the United States.

Excited and looking forward to receiving the car later this year. The only standard feature turn off for me is the panoramic glass roof (I understand Taycan sedan owners in will be getting the choice to option the fixed metal roof but not the first batch of CT builds). We own a Tesla Model Y which also has the glass roof and living in Southern California, both my wife and I hate the unrelenting sun during the summer months and have an aftermarket sunshade cover clipped in place so we don't deal with it.

Any Taycan owners now use an aftermarket sun shades to cover the glass roof when you don't want the sun on your head while driving, or more important, when its parked outside in a hot parking lot all day?

I don't want to have to crank up my A/C even more to compensate and kill my battery range further.
Old 03-16-2021, 03:00 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,586 Likes on 1,607 Posts

If not, there is always tint. My old Model 3 had great IR rejection (the colored glass) but the new one does not, and I'll be tinting the roof this summer. Even a light tint like 70% will help a lot.
Old 03-16-2021, 05:51 PM
Cheshi143
Pro

Received 284 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by edkwon
Hi guys, so I just placed a deposit for a build order on a Cross Turismo 4S in the United States.

Excited and looking forward to receiving the car later this year. The only standard feature turn off for me is the panoramic glass roof (I understand Taycan sedan owners in will be getting the choice to option the fixed metal roof but not the first batch of CT builds). We own a Tesla Model Y which also has the glass roof and living in Southern California, both my wife and I hate the unrelenting sun during the summer months and have an aftermarket sunshade cover clipped in place so we don't deal with it.

Any Taycan owners now use an aftermarket sun shades to cover the glass roof when you don't want the sun on your head while driving, or more important, when its parked outside in a hot parking lot all day?

I don't want to have to crank up my A/C even more to compensate and kill my battery range further.
There is a OEM sunshade that can be opened/closed. I always do heat rejecting 3M Crystalline film on my panoramic roof as it dramatically lowers the heat/UV exposure. There are other brands of film on the market, I am just particular to the Crystalline.
Old 03-16-2021, 06:02 PM
edkwon
Racer

Received 246 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Cheshi143
There is a OEM sunshade that can be opened/closed. I always do heat rejecting 3M Crystalline film on my panoramic roof as it dramatically lowers the heat/UV exposure. There are other brands of film on the market, I am just particular to the Crystalline.
I looked online for an OEM sunshade that fits the roof, no luck, can you provide a link?

Old 03-21-2021, 03:46 AM
aCayenneFan
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
If not, there is always tint. My old Model 3 had great IR rejection (the colored glass) but the new one does not, and I'll be tinting the roof this summer. Even a light tint like 70% will help a lot.
I would think that a stronger tint would be just the solution. Am I missing something?
Old 03-21-2021, 11:42 AM
r553
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 54 Posts

Sunshield

This sun shade uses suction cups not seen here.
The following users liked this post:
TC Cruising (03-24-2024)
Old 03-21-2021, 12:46 PM
bdoviack
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by aCayenneFan
I would think that a stronger tint would be just the solution. Am I missing something?
I asked my tint installer to install the darkest tint on my Model S glass roof and he refused as he said he had problems with other Tesla's with glass roofs. He theorized that the darker shade(s) attracted so much heat from the sun that it was cracking some glass roofs. Not sure if this is applies to the Taycans as well but it's possible. They were ok with installing lighter tint shades on the roof though.

Old 03-21-2021, 12:50 PM
r553
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 54 Posts

https://www.heatshieldstore.com/?utm...=directmailmac
TC Cruising (03-24-2024)
Old 03-24-2024, 07:17 AM
TC Cruising
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 60 Posts

Anyone ever buy and use it? How did it work please? Install/removal time? Any issues/concerns about roof glass cracking? TU.
Old 03-24-2024, 09:25 AM
kort677
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 252 Likes on 162 Posts

I live in FL and have never felt that I needed a shade like that. yes the car gets hot, but tell me what car doesn't get hot sitting in a shadeless parking lot, glass roof or steel roof
TC Cruising (03-24-2024)
Old 03-24-2024, 10:02 AM
ShiftyWolf
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

+1. I'm also in Florida and heat through the windshield is far greater than anything from the roof glass. I do not have the insulated glass.
TC Cruising (03-24-2024)
Old 03-24-2024, 01:37 PM
thebishman
Burning Brakes

Received 413 Likes on 242 Posts

Have you thought about having 5% IR rejecting tint placed on the inside of the glass roof?

Quick Reply: Taycan pano glass roof - any aftermarket sun shades?