Sponsored by:

The Low Down on Tesla v Taycan

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2021, 08:23 PM
Buddyc
Track Day

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Default The Low Down on Tesla v Taycan

I just purchased a Taycan 4S (Silver, Mission E 21's in Platinum). I strongly considered the Tesla S and thought I would share a few thoughts for those on the fence as I drove them back to back on two separate occasions.

Summary-Both are great cars. I don't think you can go wrong with either one but they each have very different strengths. For me, the Taycan had the strengths I was looking for.

Tesla wins over Taycan: Technology, roominess, hatchback utility, comfortable "cruiser", acceleration, EV range, price
Taycan wins over Tesla: Exterior styling, typical Porsche drive characteristics

Utility-The Tesla hatchback utility is tremendous. The Taycan has an average at best trunk though the pass through with seats folded down helps.
Cost-Tesla but comparisons are tricky. Tesla is coming out with their latest 3 models this month. The Long Range is about $90k well equipped while the Plaid and Plaid are about $125K to $140k. The Long Range is a lot of car for that price point (0-60 in 3.1!) and one could arguably compare it to a 4S or Turbo in terms of acceleration.
Range-Tesla wins but real life data shows it's closer than official EPA numbers. However, charging time is faster on Taycan.
Driving characteristics- The acceleration on Tesla is a little better unless going with Turbo or Turbo S but then price variance is considerable. However, how much acceleration do you need? Also, I've read that the acceleration is repeatable on Taycan but diminishes on repeated efforts for the Tesla. I can't imagine needing more acceleration than what the 4S has. Additionally, I felt that while the Taycan is very composed and controlled under rapid acceleration and speed and did not have confidence in the Tesla under high acceleration/speed. That completely negates the fun factor. I felt that the Tesla was almost out of control while I always have confidence in the Taycan even when being aggressive. Cornering is also dramatically better in the Porsche.
Exterior styling-The Tesla is a nice looking car. However, they have been around a long time now and are EVERYWHERE. For a car in the $100k range it should be a bit special. The Taycan is special in it's appearance.

Overall, the Taycan drive characteristics and exterior styling made my decision. I absolutely love the car and it became a no brainer for me. However, if cost, roominess, utility and tech are more important then a case could be made for the Tesla.
The following 3 users liked this post by Buddyc:
daveo4porsche (03-05-2021), mdrobc1213 (05-08-2021), Pokerhobo (03-11-2021)
Old 03-04-2021, 12:16 AM
sexfiend
Instructor

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

Tesla sucks handles like wet noodle.
The following 2 users liked this post by sexfiend:
Der-Schwabe (03-04-2021), gstahl (03-11-2021)
Old 03-05-2021, 09:04 AM
lowpue
Rennlist Member

Received 544 Likes on 263 Posts

Thanks for sharing ...it was a good assessment.
Old 03-11-2021, 01:25 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 201 Likes on 138 Posts

Can you speak to fit and finish? I found the Telsa interiors to be woeful throwbacks to the likes of a 90's era Ford Taurus. Cheap plastics, clunky latches, rattly materials, etc.
The following users liked this post:
mdrobc1213 (05-08-2021)
Old 03-11-2021, 03:15 PM
XLR82XS
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 692 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by wkearney99
Can you speak to fit and finish? I found the Telsa interiors to be woeful throwbacks to the likes of a 90's era Ford Taurus. Cheap plastics, clunky latches, rattly materials, etc.
F&F on my 2020 Model 3 is ok. My only gripe is poor paint quality and Elon has addressed that on multiple occasions. No doubt a CA thing.
Old 03-11-2021, 04:16 PM
John__C
Instructor

Received 63 Likes on 32 Posts

I currently own a Tesla S, and I would never label comfort as a plus. The seats are fairly stiff IMO. My list would be much simpler.

Where Tesla is better: software and everything digital.
Where Porsche is better: the physical vehicle.

If Porsche could just hire the Tesla software team, we'd all be in heaven.
The following 3 users liked this post by John__C:
mdrobc1213 (05-08-2021), satquest (03-29-2021), XLR82XS (03-15-2021)
Old 03-11-2021, 06:06 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,619 Likes on 1,627 Posts

Originally Posted by John__C
I currently own a Tesla S, and I would never label comfort as a plus. The seats are fairly stiff IMO. My list would be much simpler.

@daveo4porsche been beating this drum since he got his Taycan.
AlexCeres (03-19-2021)
Old 03-11-2021, 06:10 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,619 Likes on 1,627 Posts

Originally Posted by wkearney99
Haha . I think they're better than 90's Taurus. I'd rate mine as 2005 Honda. But in materials QUALITY. As far as fit and finish goes, panel gaps are tight, materials lay flat and are relatively durable, etc. Nothing to complain about.

The Tesla fanbois who scream "most amazing interior EvAh!!" drive me nuts and have clearly never been in a luxury car.

Back to the 2005 Honda thing, that comes from feeling the parts quality. Carpets are thin, panels are thin. Seats lack heft. Doors lack heft. Sound deadening isn't there. Etc., etc. If you've ever gone through a car, taken it apart, you can immediately tell that even something as a dash kick panel on a Tesla can't hold a candle to any modern German or Japanese car. Even something like a VW or a Camry level Toyota. It's just not there. It's coated in nice soft touch materials so it feels good, but it's literally only skin deep.

Of course, that does help keep the weight down.....
Old 03-11-2021, 06:52 PM
Buddyc
Track Day

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

I would say that Tesla interior is akin to a $30-50k car overall so for the Model 3 it's probably in line but for the Model S in the $100k neighborhood I would expect better. However, that being said I find my Taycan even with leather upgrade to be a step down from the Panamera I had before it and the seats are a bit firm. In my opinion, the Taycan has an overall interior advantage versus the Tesla but not by a huge margin. I would give the Tesla S a 6 out of 10 score and the Taycan a 7/10. The real strength of the Taycan is in the driving dynamics and exterior styling. If those are important then Taycan is the right car while if they are not as important and you want a utility cruiser with great Tech then Tesla is the right car.

daveo4porsche (03-11-2021)
Old 03-12-2021, 10:17 AM
Zcd1
Racer

Received 135 Likes on 86 Posts

One of the reasons I chose a Model 3 vs. a lightly-used Model S for a similar price was difference in the perceived level of build and material quality in the interior. Model 3 is better, IMO.

I’m scheduled to test drive the refreshed Model S when they arrive and am hoping that Tesla has applied what they’ve learned about building cars over the years to the new model. We’ll see.
Old 03-12-2021, 09:14 PM
Dr. G7
Three Wheelin'

Received 324 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by Buddyc
I just purchased a Taycan 4S (Silver, Mission E 21's in Platinum). I strongly considered the Tesla S and thought I would share a few thoughts for those on the fence as I drove them back to back on two separate occasions.

Summary-Both are great cars. I don't think you can go wrong with either one but they each have very different strengths. For me, the Taycan had the strengths I was looking for.

Tesla wins over Taycan: Technology, roominess, hatchback utility, comfortable "cruiser", acceleration, EV range, price
Taycan wins over Tesla: Exterior styling, typical Porsche drive characteristics

Overall, the Taycan drive characteristics and exterior styling made my decision. I absolutely love the car and it became a no brainer for me. However, if cost, roominess, utility and tech are more important then a case could be made for the Tesla.
Me thinketh biggest Tesla edge is the Fast chargers everywhere. Tesla got that right. Unless one is in a big city, CA, range anxiety is real, and Tesla wins, hands down.
Old 03-13-2021, 02:08 AM
aCayenneFan
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by John__C

I am certain Elon would object. There are probably some patent hurdles to overcome as well.
Old 03-13-2021, 09:15 AM
kort677
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 257 Likes on 165 Posts

IMHO the model 3 interiors are more like a camry
the tesla is a fast sedan, the taycan is a proper sports car
IMHO the model S body style is getting long in the tooth, only minor changes since 2012

Last edited by kort677; 03-13-2021 at 09:17 AM.
Old 03-13-2021, 09:33 AM
goin2drt
Banned

Received 745 Likes on 404 Posts

Hmm - base model Taycan with better battery and a few added features = $100k and that gives you 225 range and a 0-60 time of 5.1. Base model S is $79K with a 412 range and a 0-60 in 3.1. IMO you can't even compare these 2 as they are apples and orange. One is far superior range and performance to give up fit and finish. The other is far superior build and fit and finish but you give up huge range and straight line speed.
Old 03-13-2021, 11:49 AM
kort677
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 257 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by goin2drt
Hmm - base model Taycan with better battery and a few added features = $100k and that gives you 225 range and a 0-60 time of 5.1. Base model S is $79K with a 412 range and a 0-60 in 3.1. IMO you can't even compare these 2 as they are apples and orange. One is far superior range and performance to give up fit and finish. The other is far superior build and fit and finish but you give up huge range and straight line speed.
the tesla does have a faster straight line speed from 0-60 provided that it is at a high SOC, the taycan will do the launch trick regardless of the state of the SOC
in addition the taycan will out perform the tesla from speeds of 60+.
if the parlor trick like fast launch is your thing, tesla can win that fight, however the tesla cannot match the overall performance of the taycan.

Quick Reply: The Low Down on Tesla v Taycan