Taycan 2019-Current The Electric Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Versus Tesla 3 and Plaid

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2021 | 12:57 AM
RCorsa
Pro

I’m confused you can set the Taycan to regen driving. At least you can in mine (a 2021). Maybe that’s a new feature. Coming out of a Tesla I was used to it and after a while you learn to modulate. That said I have the feature turned off on the Taycan
The following users liked this post:
Der-Schwabe (03-03-2021)
Old 03-04-2021 | 01:49 AM
Buddyc
Track Day

Great posts which hits the nail on the head. I would add that a car that drives wicked fast but has average handling and cornering is somewhat wasted as you can't truly enjoy the level of power it can put out. The driver needs to feel confidence that the car will respond when driving that aggressively and that lack of confidence reduces the driving pleasure in the Tesla. Porsche is a fast drivers car where the driver is connected to the car and road while the Tesla is a wicked fast sedan. The Plaid will be even faster. I see that it will include Torque Vectoring and am wondering how much this will improve the driving experience.

Last edited by Buddyc; 03-04-2021 at 01:50 AM.
nycebo (04-04-2021)
Old 03-04-2021 | 02:42 AM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

the model 3 can be great improved with some after market shocks - it then is still wicked fast and becomes a bit more of a driver’s car - not porsche level, but enough that you’ll have more confidence…honestly for the price point there is virtually nothing in the Model 3 Performance’s class - value proposition is high for price point.
flygdchman (03-04-2021)
Old 03-04-2021 | 11:59 AM
flygdchman
Instructor

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche
the model 3 can be great improved with some after market shocks - it then is still wicked fast and becomes a bit more of a driver’s car - not porsche level, but enough that you’ll have more confidence…honestly for the price point there is virtually nothing in the Model 3 Performance’s class - value proposition is high for price point.
Can you improve the model 3 ride quality with aftermarket shocks?

I would actually prefer the size of the Model 3 and don't need the big power of the performance model. I like the visibility. My main dislike is the center mounted ipad and the front end styling which I once saw a porsche looking front end on one online. It actually looked really good but of course no comparison to the Taycan. which is off the charts great looking.

Last edited by flygdchman; 03-04-2021 at 12:03 PM.
Old 03-04-2021 | 12:52 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by flygdchman

I would actually prefer the size of the Model 3 and don't need the big power of the performance model. I like the visibility. My main dislike is the center mounted ipad and the front end styling which I once saw a porsche looking front end on one online. It actually looked really good but of course no comparison to the Taycan. which is off the charts great looking.
Yes. Aftermarket coilovers will improve both ride and handling.

daveo4porsche (03-04-2021)
Old 03-04-2021 | 01:20 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

https://www.mountainpassperformance....nce-pre-order/

throw a set of these on a Model 3 Performance and prepare to be impressed - wicked quick car now with actual shocks & handling…
The following 2 users liked this post by daveo4porsche:
flygdchman (03-04-2021), HooosierDaddy (03-04-2021)
Old 03-04-2021 | 01:28 PM
whiz944
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by flygdchman

Check out the various coilover kits from Unplugged, Mountain Pass, and Redwood. I've been toying with buying the Öhlins Grand Touring coilovers from Redwood, but haven't been sufficiently motivated to get over and talk with them yet. (Redwood are local to me.) However my next TM3 purchase will be new shoes. They are marginal now at 31k miles. Thinking about waiting for the new Michelin Pilot Sport EV tires to become available.

Last edited by whiz944; 03-04-2021 at 01:55 PM.
Old 03-04-2021 | 01:28 PM
HooosierDaddy
Racer

Tesla does software as well as Porsche makes cars…
Porsche does software as well as Tesla make cars…

it’s ashame one can’t learn from the other.

I currently daily a 2020 Model 3 Performance and was very surprised by the road handling. Now... it's no Porsche but is very respectable and blistering fast!
The following 2 users liked this post by HooosierDaddy:
daveo4porsche (03-14-2021), XLR82XS (03-11-2021)
Old 03-04-2021 | 01:32 PM
HooosierDaddy
Racer

https://www.mountainpassperformance....nce-pre-order/

throw a set of these on a Model 3 Performance and prepare to be impressed - wicked quick car now with actual shocks & handling…
Really want to do these, but holding out for the Cyber Truck. Don't see the point in upgrading something else just to trade it in later.
Old 03-04-2021 | 04:30 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by whiz944
Check out the various coilover kits from Unplugged, Mountain Pass, and Redwood. I've been toying with buying the Öhlins Grand Touring coilovers from Redwood, but haven't been sufficiently motivated to get over and talk with them yet. (Redwood are local to me.) However my next TM3 purchase will be new shoes. They are marginal now at 31k miles. Thinking about waiting for the new Michelin Pilot Sport EV tires to become available.
Same and same, although Redwood scares me with their lack of response and long lead times.
Old 03-14-2021 | 05:23 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

I may have to try some shocks for my DD M3P. My weekend fun car is a 991.2 GT3, so a daily driving experience closer to that would be welcome.

Agree that there is nothing currently available or on the horizon from any manufacturer that compares to a Model 3 performance for the value. The closest thing would be the upcoming BMW i4 (M version), but from what I have read, it won't surpass the M3P in 0-60 or range, and I'm sure it will be much heavier. I expect the overall handling of the i4 M version will be superior to the M3P, and that it will cost $30,000 more.

Independent testing shows that the Model 3 Performance (with updated software) will go 0-60 in 3.1 seconds vs 3.4 seconds for the Taycan 4S. The M3P is a smaller car (which I prefer anyway), as the M3P is 4.6 inches more narrow and 10.6 shorter than the 4S, and of course the M3P is literally half the price of the 4S (before options, so a regularly M3P is 40% of the cost of a reguarly optioned 4S). And clearly the Tesla charging network is vastly superior to the current Taycan charging options.

The M3P also weighs a full thousand pounds less than the 4S!.

So for now, I don't see myself getting a Taycan as I would have to go up to a Taycan Turbo to acquire a faster car than my $55,000 M3P, but I will reassess in a few years. So far the M3P has been a great daily, and I have the 991.2 GT3 for special occasions, long weekend trips, and track days.

Last edited by Drifting; 03-14-2021 at 06:48 PM.
daveo4porsche (03-14-2021)
Old 03-14-2021 | 07:15 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

the MP3 is a very very hard act to follow for pure value & performance…it's perhaps the best 4 door sedan on the market period.

@Drifting is in a hard place - you need a Turbo to equal/better the MP3, but it's still bigger and heavier - but it's a better mechanical beast than the MP3 - but the MP3 is a better piece of technology…trade offs.

EV + GT3 for track is perhaps the best mix possible.
Yousif (03-24-2021)
Old 03-14-2021 | 09:03 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

the MP3 is a very very hard act to follow for pure value & performance…it's perhaps the best 4 door sedan on the market period.

@Drifting is in a hard place - you need a Turbo to equal/better the MP3, but it's still bigger and heavier - but it's a better mechanical beast than the MP3 - but the MP3 is a better piece of technology…trade offs.

EV + GT3 for track is perhaps the best mix possible.
Agree. If I could have just one car, I would likely consider the Taycan Turbo.

But for someone who wants to drive a sporty car every day, enjoys track days, but doesn’t always want to bother with charging on longer multi day trips, there is no better option for the next several years than a M3P daily and a 991.2 GT3 for special occasions/weekend fun/track days/multi day trips.....all for just a slightly higher price than a single Turbo.

Last edited by Drifting; 03-14-2021 at 09:06 PM.
daveo4porsche (03-14-2021)
Old 03-14-2021 | 11:56 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

I refuse to compare anything to plaid until Elon ships something to a normal customer - otherwise it’s pure vaporware…prototypes are fairly easy - shipping products is hard - just ask Tesla - they’ve pushed enough deadlines to know…

the Model 3P and the Taycan are the best EV sedans going right now with different tradeoffs - the Model S remains a very solid entry but suffers from well understood limitations but has it’s pro’s and con’s also…anything else you want to compare bring to a cars and coffee where i can touch and it feel it otherwise it doesn’t exist.
Old 03-15-2021 | 04:31 AM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

I refuse to compare anything to plaid until Elon ships something to a normal customer - otherwise it’s pure vaporware…prototypes are fairly easy - shipping products is hard - just ask Tesla - they’ve pushed enough deadlines to know…

the Model 3P and the Taycan are the best EV sedans going right now with different tradeoffs - the Model S remains a very solid entry but suffers from well understood limitations but has it’s pro’s and con’s also…anything else you want to compare bring to a cars and coffee where i can touch and it feel it otherwise it doesn’t exist.
Agree it will be very interesting to see how the Plaid (and Plaid+) compare to the Taycan Turbo(S).

Other than charging network if they road trip frequently, I don't see how anyone would choose a regular Model S over a Taycan or Taycan S, (or BMW i4(M version).

The model 3 is an amazing deal for the money, and you have to accept certain cosmetic issues (like the solo screen sticking out of the center dash), but why (other than charging network) would anyone purchase a new model S over a Taycan/audi/i4, etc?

The interior finish and exterior cosmetics are far superior in those german models, more prestigous names, and much better handling cars, too.

In the future I see Tesla as more of an Acura type company referring to the degree of prestige from driving one in the eyes of the general public. Nicer than a regular car, certainly nicer than a domestic car, but not in the league of German autos.

Really unfortunate that Tesla could only add more power, and then make a worst steering wheel and worse main center screen compared to the original model S. I think the model S/X sales numbers are really going to plument in the next few years, and that Tesla will survive by making a ton of Model 3s and model Ys.....and Cybertrucks, but the model S and X sales will drop even further.
The following 5 users liked this post by Drifting:
AlexCeres (04-18-2021), daveo4porsche (03-15-2021), Der-Schwabe (03-15-2021), HooosierDaddy (03-28-2021), nycebo (04-04-2021)

Quick Reply: Versus Tesla 3 and Plaid