Sponsored by:

Versus Tesla 3 and Plaid

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2021, 12:16 AM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,333 Likes on 701 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
Did you ever eliminate the error that kills the active cruise? That’s a deal breaker for me.
I was able to get cruise control to work but not adaptive cruise control.
Not ideal if you commute through heavy stop n go traffic in a major city.
I no longer have to deal with that, so I’m good with regular cruise control.
The following users liked this post:
Needsdecaf (04-05-2021)
Old 04-05-2021, 09:34 AM
Zcd1
Racer

Received 135 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 911-TOUR
...we could not get over how bad the seats were...
Seat comfort is such a subjective thing, isn’t it?

I find my Model 3’s seats to be more comfortable than those in any car we’ve previously owned. 🤷‍♂️
Old 04-17-2021, 03:00 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,333 Likes on 701 Posts

Originally Posted by CarmineGT3
Wow, I have a 991.2 6MT GT3 for the weekend/track and a 2021 Model 3P with mountain pass coilovers and couldn't agree more! Love this combo and passed on the Taycan due to current pricing and upcoming depreciation
I know the mountain pass coilovers are popular for the M3P. Did you consider any other brands/options? The mountain pass are definitely a lot cheaper than the unplugged performance coilovers for the M3P. Any other options besides mountain pass that you or DaveO4Porsche considered for your M3Ps?

I'm looking for a more sporty ride, but not track level of stiffness as the M3P is my DD.
Old 04-18-2021, 10:42 AM
Zcd1
Racer

Originally Posted by kort677
strawman?...
Yes, “strawman” because nobody said the Teslas drove as well as or better than the Taycan.
Old 04-18-2021, 05:50 PM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Received 1,703 Likes on 1,041 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
Eh, not really.

I drove an F80 M3, M4, C63, and 991.1 and 991.2 prior to buying my 991.1 Carrera in 2016, so I have a very good idea of how they ride. Yes, they are pretty stiffly sprung, however they still have a much more sophisticated damper than the Model 3.

I've had two model 3's, and now have over 60k miles combined. The Model 3 does not have a good ride on undulating pavement, and particularly on segmented concrete. I can see if you drive primarily on asphalt roads you might think it's a decent ride, but really it's not. The problem is that the springs are soft, and the dampers don't have much control, so the car is into the bumpstops on anything over a moderate bump. You then get a very "springy" ride. It's very bouncy and pogo-y. See the video below, and pay attention to the fixed horizontal elements such as the sign standards and overpasses. It's especially bad in the back seat. I can literally get places where my kids will pop off the back seat.

The M Cars, etc. are stiff, but they're not out of control like the Model 3 is. For reference, neither of my 911's have ridden this poorly, on the same roads, even in their stiffest suspension.

https://youtu.be/PTEpA_iKZjk
+1. The ride is pretty awful by sport car standards. Very bouncy with a very numb steering. I loved a lot about the Model 3, especially as a daily at its price point. $ / torque is amazing. But the driving dynamics are a hard no. Significantly worse than the BMW M cars. Yes, even the modern ones.

these are driving appliances made by a company that wants to replace drivers with computers. And that’s great for the majority of people who don’t care about cars and just want some transportation. But a nuanced driving experience it is not.
The following users liked this post:
Der-Schwabe (04-19-2021)
Old 04-19-2021, 08:00 AM
Zcd1
Racer

Additional opinions:

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/tesl...mparison-test/

“(the BMW has) ...an adaptive suspension that's obnoxiously brittle—even in its softest setting. Testing director Kim Reynolds probably put it best when he said "it finds annoying bumps without the commensurate handling composure payoff." Walton couldn't wait to get out of the car.”

Or this:

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...rap-up-review/

“Even set to comfort, the M3 has the compliance of a race car. It pounds heavily over cracked pavement and freeway expansion joints, magnifying every imperfection in the road. We’d swear the chassis even gets jostled by painted lane markings and the shadows of telephone poles. And the ride got worse as the miles piled up. “The more I drive this as it gets older, the more I dislike how much it crashes over bumps,” wrote copy editor Jennifer Harrington after returning from a road trip.By the end of our test, enough shock waves had been sent through the car that the interior had accumulated more rattles than Babies “R” Us. There was a time when BMW tuned every M car’s suspension right to the threshold of harshness without crossing over into unacceptably firm. Now, with adjustable suspensions predominant in its portfolio, the company seems to have lost sight of where that magic mark is”

Last edited by Zcd1; 04-19-2021 at 08:29 AM.
Old 04-19-2021, 01:29 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,619 Likes on 1,627 Posts

Originally Posted by Zcd1
Additional opinions:

“(the BMW has) ...an adaptive suspension that's obnoxiously brittle—even in its softest setting. Testing director Kim Reynolds probably put it best when he said "it finds annoying bumps without the commensurate handling composure payoff." Walton couldn't wait to get out of the car.”

Or this:

“Even set to comfort, the M3 has the compliance of a race car. It pounds heavily over cracked pavement and freeway expansion joints, magnifying every imperfection in the road. We’d swear the chassis even gets jostled by painted lane markings and the shadows of telephone poles. And the ride got worse as the miles piled up. “The more I drive this as it gets older, the more I dislike how much it crashes over bumps,” wrote copy editor Jennifer Harrington after returning from a road trip.By the end of our test, enough shock waves had been sent through the car that the interior had accumulated more rattles than Babies “R” Us. There was a time when BMW tuned every M car’s suspension right to the threshold of harshness without crossing over into unacceptably firm. Now, with adjustable suspensions predominant in its portfolio, the company seems to have lost sight of where that magic mark is”
Have you driven an F80 M3 to compare to a Tesla Model 3? I have, extensively. I very nearly pulled the trigger on one back in 2016 when I got my 911. Ironically the ride is one of the reasons I didn't.

The BMW has a much flintier ride. It's quite harsh over sharp bumps. However, it does have much better body control and does not head toss. I'd say both are equally annoying in daily driving for different reasons. The BMW rides more like my 911.

However when pushed, the BMW gets the job done whereas the Model 3 runs out of answers quickly, as you're basically cornering on the bump stops 95% of the time.
Old 04-19-2021, 02:26 PM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Received 1,703 Likes on 1,041 Posts

Additional opinions:

well I haven’t driven a 2019 330i, I did drive a 2009 335 back to back with a model 3 and it was quite superior in steering and handling. The handling wasn’t as far apart as the steering.

Haven’t driven a 2015 M3, but drove a 2010 extensively and back to back with a model 3. That BMW made me realize just how terrible the model 3 suspension and steering is and how I couldn’t be happy with it even as a daily.

You can knock BMW and it’s failures over the last decade all you want. That’s just how I got to a 911. It doesn’t make the Tesla any better.
Old 04-20-2021, 02:32 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,619 Likes on 1,627 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexCeres
well I haven’t driven a 2019 330i, I did drive a 2009 335 back to back with a model 3 and it was quite superior in steering and handling. The handling wasn’t as far apart as the steering.

Haven’t driven a 2015 M3, but drove a 2010 extensively and back to back with a model 3. That BMW made me realize just how terrible the model 3 suspension and steering is and how I couldn’t be happy with it even as a daily.

You can knock BMW and it’s failures over the last decade all you want. That’s just how I got to a 911. It doesn’t make the Tesla any better.
A 2010 (E9X) cannot be compared to a 2015 (F8X). The suspension is VERY different in the F8X

Quick Reply: Versus Tesla 3 and Plaid