Lucid Motors

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2021, 04:10 PM
kort677
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexCeres
So ... more EV competition is great. But they don't have a product for sale now that I can touch so it's not real. I'm really not going to think about them until I can test drive one. Life too short. YMMV.
I agree. if I cannot touch it or see it I cannot commit to it. in a few years I may tire of the taycan and I'll give the lucid a chance to mature a bit. I had an early tesla and the car was very problematic
Old 02-20-2021, 03:41 AM
khalloudy
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 87 Posts

The Lucid Air is geared to compete with MB S-Class. The Taycan is a sports sedan.,.. different target audience.

Having said that, I am yet to see a company compete with VAG (Porsche/Audi/Bentley/Lamborghini) in fit/finish/craftsmanship and materials used.

In the realm of Taycan again, I have been on the fence between a fully loaded 4S vs. Audi RS7 which is fair competition (non electric) and I like the RS7 rear seats better (family) and trunk (hatch) which is useable. Still undecided as the Taycan is definitely the future. I would not consider the Lucid or Tesla for that matter (Their fit and materials are way below their price). My 5c.
Old 02-20-2021, 05:44 AM
kort677
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by khalloudy
The Lucid Air is geared to compete with MB S-Class. The Taycan is a sports sedan.,.. different target audience.
I don't get the comparison to an MB S class or any other ICE vehicle. there is no comparing ICE vehicles to EVs. if you are comparing cabin amenities ok but otherwise they are two very different vehicles and someone who is looking at an EV is not looking at an MB S class and someone looking to buy an MB S class is not looking at taycans, teslas or the lucid car
Old 11-14-2022, 01:26 PM
Ticket Target
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 103 Posts

Who would’ve thought that precious metals, needed for building batteries, would be so dang precious? It’s that time of year again, when automakers trot out their Q3 balance sheets, but costs have spiked for 2022 — and small EV makers are hit the hardest. From Reuters:Every time Lucid Group Inc (LCID.O) or Rivian Automotive Inc (RIVN.O) sells an electric car, they are losing hundreds of thousands of dollars due to staggering raw material and production costs, their latest earnings statements showed.

Quarterly reports from electric vehicle (EV) makers from the past two weeks show them struggling to hit delivery targets and rapidly burning through cash.

Lucid’s cost of revenue surged to $492.5 million in the July-September quarter from $3.3 million a year earlier, and its losses widened as customers canceled orders fearing long wait times.

Canoo Inc (GOEV.O) said in May it had “substantial doubt” about remaining a going concern. At the end of September, it had $6.8 million in cash and equivalents, down sharply from $415 million a year earlier.

Rivian, backed by Amazon.com (AMZN.O) and Ford Motor (F.N), had $13.8 billion cash on hand at the end of September. It also has a contract to supply 100,000 electric delivery vans to Amazon. But its cost of goods sold was about $220,000 per car versus an average selling price of $81,000 in the quarter, CFRA estimated.

Old 11-14-2022, 05:00 PM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,030 Posts

I don’t know why people are surprised starting a new car company is hard and the automotive business is generally a ****ty one to be in.
Old 11-17-2022, 10:05 PM
ABVW
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

Months ago, I was looking for a replacement for my Model S. I thought the exterior of the Lucid Air was odd looking (the different colored roof is just...UGH!) and the interior a bit cheesy...but the range was magnificent. I drove the car, and found it impressive enough to own. So I put down a deposit. Shortly after that, I discovered that the innocuously named Public Investment Fund owns a whopping SIXTY PERCENT of Lucid Motors. Public Investment Fund is the sovereign wealth fund of Saudi Arabia. The chairman is Mohammed bin Salman, the same Saudi royal who ordered the murder and dismemberment of Washington Post journalist Jamal Khashoggi. Mohammed bin Salman is also, of course, the leader of Saudi Arabia, one of the most oppressive regimes in the world. Between the Saudis' abuse of women, their persecution of religious minorities, and the fact they murder LGBT people (I am gay) there is no way in hell they're getting one red cent from me. If they were the only car company in the world, I'd choose to walk. I hope they fail.
The following users liked this post:
Christian J (11-18-2022)
Old 11-17-2022, 10:39 PM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 240 Posts

I follow Lucid as much as any other new entry EV to the market. The one qualifier for me is service. Arguably Porsche has struggled in this with the Taycan. If PAG can struggle, where does that leave the immature brands - just sayin?
Dr. G7 (11-19-2022)
Old 11-19-2022, 02:59 PM
Dr. G7
Three Wheelin'

Received 322 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by Theendonaut
but what are everyone's thoughts on Lucid?
Nothing very lucid.
Old 11-19-2022, 06:41 PM
Dr Chill
Rennlist Member

Received 266 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by ABVW
Months ago, I was looking for a replacement for my Model S. I thought the exterior of the Lucid Air was odd looking (the different colored roof is just...UGH!) and the interior a bit cheesy...but the range was magnificent. I drove the car, and found it impressive enough to own. So I put down a deposit. Shortly after that, I discovered that the innocuously named Public Investment Fund owns a whopping SIXTY PERCENT of Lucid Motors. Public Investment Fund is the sovereign wealth fund of Saudi Arabia. The chairman is Mohammed bin Salman, the same Saudi royal who ordered the murder and dismemberment of Washington Post journalist Jamal Khashoggi. Mohammed bin Salman is also, of course, the leader of Saudi Arabia, one of the most oppressive regimes in the world. Between the Saudis' abuse of women, their persecution of religious minorities, and the fact they murder LGBT people (I am gay) there is no way in hell they're getting one red cent from me. If they were the only car company in the world, I'd choose to walk. I hope they fail.
I'm sure that's the way people felt about buying German or Japanese cars after WWII, but that sentiment faded pretty quickly it seems.
cyclrder (11-20-2022)
Old 11-20-2022, 07:29 PM
ABVW
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr Chill
I'm sure that's the way people felt about buying German or Japanese cars after WWII, but that sentiment faded pretty quickly it seems.
It was not lost on me when I purchased my 2022 Taycan that, a mere 77 years ago, Ferdinand Porsche was a member of the **** party manufacturing tanks for the Axis powers and buddying up to Hitler. The difference, however, is that it is inconceivable that anyone in the leadership of Porsche would hold those views today, and they are certainly not participating in efforts to exterminate groups of people. If the House of Saud ever decides to join us here in the 21st Century and cease the oppression of women, religious minorities, and LGBT people, I'm happy to reconsider my position. Until then, I wish them nothing but ill will. I hope the company fails.
Old 11-21-2022, 01:07 PM
thebishman
Burning Brakes

Received 421 Likes on 245 Posts

It was not lost on me when I purchased my 2022 Taycan that, a mere 77 years ago, Ferdinand Porsche was a member of the **** party manufacturing tanks for the Axis powers and buddying up to Hitler. The difference, however, is that it is inconceivable that anyone in the leadership of Porsche would hold those views today, and they are certainly not participating in efforts to exterminate groups of people. If the House of Saud ever decides to join us here in the 21st Century and cease the oppression of women, religious minorities, and LGBT people, I'm happy to reconsider my position. Until then, I wish them nothing but ill will. I hope the company fails.
Supporting the Saudi regime directly is something I would try incredibly hard to avoid, but Lucid is an American based company; employing Americans; run by principles that run the company independently of whom owns what percentage of the company. Think of how many hundreds; (thousands?) of companies both here and abroad that have majority ownership from a country or regime with horrendous human rights issues; it’s staggering how many despots like to ‘park’ their ill gotten gains in Western society. Until our government or ‘the West’ decides not to trade with despicable regimes, I’m not sure wanting a specific company to collapse is useful. YMMV.
Old 11-21-2022, 01:53 PM
XLR82XS
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 692 Likes on 452 Posts

It was not lost on me when I purchased my 2022 Taycan that, a mere 77 years ago, Ferdinand Porsche was a member of the **** party manufacturing tanks for the Axis powers and buddying up to Hitler.
Tell that to the thousands of jews who own Porsche products.
whiz944 (11-21-2022)
Old 11-29-2022, 09:25 AM
bluelines1974
Rennlist Member

Received 408 Likes on 215 Posts

You should research who the Saudis aren’t invested in, since you might find there are slim pickings. Notably Porsche was actively soliciting all of the Middle East sovereign wealth funds in the run up to its IPO.

Virtually every product we buy has links to China, which is a regime that makes the Saudis look like amateurs when it comes to oppressing its own people. From organ harvesting, to the forced sterilization of Uighur muslims, to the daily brutalization of ordinary people who just want individual freedom, to disruption of democracy across the world, China is a far greater threat than the Saudis. I agree that we should not trade with the Saudis, but my point is that if you’re going to take that position, then you should look at what else we do in our lives to support tyrannical regimes.

Last edited by kort677; 11-29-2022 at 10:55 AM.
thebishman (11-29-2022)
Old 11-29-2022, 10:56 AM
kort677
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

this thread has veered way off topic
suprnine (11-29-2022)

Quick Reply: Lucid Motors