Sponsored by:

Lucid Motors

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2021, 10:25 AM
Theendonaut
Track Day

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Lucid Motors

Apologies if there is already a thread, but what are everyone's thoughts on Lucid? Viable competitor to Porsche (Taycan vs. Air, Macan vs. Lucid Project Gravity)?
Old 01-16-2021, 10:56 AM
stever996
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

The Lucid Air? Aficionados will be called Airheads.
Seriously though....isn't early for anyone to have any kind of an opinion?
The following users liked this post:
Needsdecaf (01-18-2021)
Old 01-16-2021, 11:21 AM
Theendonaut
Track Day

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Airheads, I like it. Deliveries for their top of the line sedan are supposed to be sometime this year. As someone looking at the Taycan, I think they offer an interesting value prop depending on what someone is looking for. $170k for 500 miles of (estimated) range, 0-60 in 2.5 sec. All in a (supposed) luxury sedan (appealing for someone with a family). Obviously haven't delivered a single car in the history of the company. That's a lot of money for a company that has no track record though.
Old 01-16-2021, 09:16 PM
Pokerhobo
Burning Brakes

Received 658 Likes on 342 Posts

More competition for EVs is good. They are certainly targeting the higher end luxury market so competing directly with the Taycan. Will see based on independent tests if they achieve their range. Lucid is led by Tesla's former chief engineer, so they have some credibility, but still needs to deliver and manufacturing is the hard part, not developing a prototype. The Lucid Air is supposed to start deliveries this spring. Current speculation is that Lucid will IPO via a ****. Specifically CCIV.
Old 01-17-2021, 10:50 AM
manitou202
Burning Brakes

Received 408 Likes on 159 Posts

They appear to have a game changing powertrain, efficiency, and charging tech.

They do have some experience with manufacturing. They have been providing the battery packs for Formula-E for the past couple of years. They also have a lot of veterans from Tesla and other major automakers. My understanding is their primary target with the Lucid Air is the Mercedes S-class, If you look at the videos of the interior it makes sense.

Old 01-23-2021, 12:42 PM
Brainofjjj
Rennlist Member

Received 277 Likes on 162 Posts

Thanks for posting this thread. I came here to get cross buying impressions from Taycan owners. I love the Taycan look, performance and build quality, that last item is something often noted as lacking with Tesla products. I've been in CCIV shares since q3 20 and it's obviously well rumored now that they may merge with Lucid. I'm not an EV buyer although i sit squarely in their audience. I'll wait for the EV track car before i jump in.
So for folks looking to buy a Taycan this year would you look at a Lucid Air and drive one before ordering a Taycan. Does the new car company teething woes worry you at all?
Old 01-23-2021, 03:41 PM
TXSchnee
Racer

Received 207 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Brainofjjj
Thanks for posting this thread. I came here to get cross buying impressions from Taycan owners. I love the Taycan look, performance and build quality, that last item is something often noted as lacking with Tesla products. I've been in CCIV shares since q3 20 and it's obviously well rumored now that they may merge with Lucid. I'm not an EV buyer although i sit squarely in their audience. I'll wait for the EV track car before i jump in.
So for folks looking to buy a Taycan this year would you look at a Lucid Air and drive one before ordering a Taycan. Does the new car company teething woes worry you at all?
I will be looking at the Lucid Air and the Taycan (E Tron GT as well) before deciding what to purchase. I am also considering the Macan Electric, Rivian and the Lucid SUV. My time frame for order is about 3 years out, just got my Cayenne E Hybrid this past summer, so first year teething problems, and long term viability of the new companies should be in better focus.
Brainofjjj (01-24-2021)
Old 01-23-2021, 05:49 PM
Dr Chill
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 169 Posts

I recommend anyone waiting for these others to hit the market to go drive a Taycan now. Try resisting the urge to buy after that. Remember, these other EV's might be nice, but they won't be a Porsche.
The following 4 users liked this post by Dr Chill:
AlexCeres (01-29-2021), Brainofjjj (01-24-2021), Der-Schwabe (01-23-2021), freqflyer (01-25-2021)
Old 01-29-2021, 03:22 PM
pokingaround
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 93 Posts

A buddy of mine placed a pre-order for the top model. I look forward to riding/driving it outside of test-drive context.
Old 01-29-2021, 03:27 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 12,011 Likes on 5,234 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr Chill
I recommend anyone waiting for these others to hit the market to go drive a Taycan now. Try resisting the urge to buy after that. Remember, these other EV's might be nice, but they won't be a Porsche.
Ditto this.

Not only does the Taycan excel as a driver's car, while serving as a capable EV, there are many many deals to be had if one is looking for a Taycan off-the-lot.
AlexCeres (01-29-2021)
Old 01-29-2021, 07:48 PM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Received 1,703 Likes on 1,041 Posts

So ... more EV competition is great. But they don't have a product for sale now that I can touch so it's not real. I'm really not going to think about them until I can test drive one. Life too short. YMMV.
kort677 (02-19-2021)
Old 01-30-2021, 08:23 PM
manitou202
Burning Brakes

Received 408 Likes on 159 Posts

I think Lucid has serious potential and I do like the look of the Air. However I have a feeling it's going to be more AMG Mercedes brut performance instead of Porsche driving performance. I put a deposit (refundable) on the mid spec, but I probably won't end up ordering one and I'll keep my Taycan. Lucid is going to put a ton of pressure on MB, BMW, and Audi. Based on the spy shots their SUV looks really cool as well. I would be more likely to purchase one of those in the future.

We are planning on replacing our Audi Etron with a Rivian R1S. Rivian is another newcomer that looks to have serious potential. We have a first edition R1S in launch green reserved. A Rivian looks to be the perfect EV for Colorado.
The following 3 users liked this post by manitou202:
daveo4porsche (01-30-2021), Needsdecaf (02-01-2021), Wiley Hodges (02-09-2021)
Old 02-01-2021, 06:13 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,619 Likes on 1,627 Posts

Originally Posted by manitou202
I think Lucid has serious potential and I do like the look of the Air. However I have a feeling it's going to be more AMG Mercedes brut performance instead of Porsche driving performance. I put a deposit (refundable) on the mid spec, but I probably won't end up ordering one and I'll keep my Taycan. Lucid is going to put a ton of pressure on MB, BMW, and Audi. Based on the spy shots their SUV looks really cool as well. I would be more likely to purchase one of those in the future.

We are planning on replacing our Audi Etron with a Rivian R1S. Rivian is another newcomer that looks to have serious potential. We have a first edition R1S in launch green reserved. A Rivian looks to be the perfect EV for Colorado.
I have a really unhealthy desire for an R1T.
The following 2 users liked this post by Needsdecaf:
daveo4porsche (02-01-2021), Wiley Hodges (02-09-2021)
Old 02-02-2021, 02:28 PM
Pokerhobo
Burning Brakes

Received 658 Likes on 342 Posts

My Lexus LX470 is ~146k miles. I expect it to go to at least 300k miles. However, I would be interested in eventually changing it to an EV SUV with similar capabilities and space. This means a traditional boxy style so I can put stuff on top, overlanding capable, and sufficient range to drive from my house to the Fairmont at Blackcomb (228 miles). Ideally round-trip capable so I can just charge in my garage, but I would think the hotel will eventually have EV charging (if it doesn't already). Rivian is the only one currently making that type of SUV, so I'm looking forward to what their 3rd gen SUV will be like
Old 02-04-2021, 10:28 AM
unclewill
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 35 Posts

Nobody will ever start making cars with Mercedes S-class class levels of quality on day one of production of their first ever car on a brand new production line using brand new technology so caveat emptor.
Jason Zhang (02-06-2021)

Quick Reply: Lucid Motors