Sponsored by:

Porsche Taycan self acceleration- see a recall in the future

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2020 | 05:41 PM
whiz944
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
Most, but not all.

My dad had a 5000S Turbo. I can recall, on three separate occasions, the car accelerating out of control while driving. It was not user error, my dad clearly called my attention to it and showed me his foot was off the gas. If I recall, that car did not have cruise control. Was quickly solved by shutting the car off in neutral and re-starting after pulling over. Good thing my dad was driving and not my mom (not sexist, but my mom wasn't a great driver although she did drive stick).

Never happened upon startup in the garage.

That car was a flaming pile of ****. Great car when it worked, although it had galactically long turbo lag. It was just way too far ahead of it's time.
Back in the mid 1980s, I owned a '81 5000S. Every now and then the floor mat would slide forward just enough that it would jam the gas pedal. The solution? I would reach down and pull the floor mat back a bit. When 60 Minutes did their "unintended acceleration" hit piece, and devastated Audi sales in the U.S. for several years, I figured it was just a floor mat problem.
Old 12-01-2020 | 06:49 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by whiz944
Back in the mid 1980s, I owned a '81 5000S. Every now and then the floor mat would slide forward just enough that it would jam the gas pedal. The solution? I would reach down and pull the floor mat back a bit. When 60 Minutes did their "unintended acceleration" hit piece, and devastated Audi sales in the U.S. for several years, I figured it was just a floor mat problem.
Yeah, this was definitely not the floor mat.
Old 12-02-2020 | 04:56 PM
umwolverine
Racer

As the Chief instructor at Skippy told us '...on the street, there are no 'accidents'. OK, if a meteor falls out of the sky and hits your car, that's an accident, but if you're driving well maintaining your car and keeping your eyes open, you should never have an 'accident'. A bit harsh perhaps, but the jist of the statement is that almost all 'accidents' are avoidable. This was incredibly stupid to start with, but his failure to realize what he had done and hit the brakes is pretty much inexcusable.
Old 12-03-2020 | 11:08 AM
unclewill
Racer

There are no factory produced road cars that can overpower their own brakes with the engine - period.
The following users liked this post:
Der-Schwabe (12-03-2020)

Quick Reply: Porsche Taycan self acceleration- see a recall in the future