Sponsored by:

Trying to Lease

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2020, 10:50 AM
Condor Man
Three Wheelin'

Received 299 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by Calkar
Do you mean “don’t”? Also, I noticed that you are from Australia, are you referring to US or Australia Porsche Financial Service?

it does look like the lease term for Taycan is not very favorable, it is probably because it is so new and the demand is high...
The credit is applied in the lease already which just makes the car look more expensive on a monthly basis.

I live in Los Angeles and my DBS which was $350,000. I put $20,000 down and I pay $2,250 per month for plus tax!

The following users liked this post:
AlexCeres (11-14-2020)
Old 11-14-2020, 01:42 PM
jlee504
Rennlist Member

Received 461 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by Condor Man
The credit is applied in the lease already which just makes the car look more expensive on a monthly basis.

I live in Los Angeles and my DBS which was $350,000. I put $20,000 down and I pay $2,250 per month for plus tax!

love the DBS. Is that liquid crimson?
Old 11-14-2020, 02:04 PM
Calkar
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

If the $7500 is being applied as a capital reduction, wouldn't it make the monthly payment lower?

Originally Posted by Condor Man

Old 11-14-2020, 02:10 PM
Calkar
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

We are on our 3rd Tesla lease with the 3rd lease's end coming and hence the reason why we are looking for a Taycan lease. I had the same thought on the built-in obsolesce of the Tesla as it is like an iPad-on-wheels for me. However, I am seeing that the market value of the Tesla at lease end actually is quite a bit higher than the RV. Not sure if this is particular to Tesla or is it just EV just does not depreciate like a regular car.

For our first Tesla lease, the Federal tax credit was not applied as cap reduction but the last two actually has the cap reduction accounted for to reduce the monthly payment. I guess Porsche will probably do the same once the supply/demand is tilting to the buyer's side. But the MF on the Taycan lease seems to be quite high compare to even other Porsche models and without the $7500 cap reduction, it makes the lease quite non-comptetive other than the possibility of using it as a business expense deduction.

Originally Posted by Porschian
Actually the reverse; the battery will go a million miles before change and the UX software can be updated over line.

And if you drive a lot, as I do, the mileage cap with a lease doesn’t make sense.
AlecG (11-17-2020)
Old 11-14-2020, 03:36 PM
thebishman
Burning Brakes

Received 429 Likes on 253 Posts

Calkar: when I leased my Audi e-tron the Federal rebate was applied as a Cap cost reduction by Audi Financial services and helped markedly reduce the lease payment. I see no reason why Porsche Financial services wouldn’t also do this automatically or as part of a negotiation.
Old 11-14-2020, 04:35 PM
Condor Man
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by jlee504
love the DBS. Is that liquid crimson?
Thank you

The name of the red is Hyper Red too.
Old 11-14-2020, 04:42 PM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Received 1,703 Likes on 1,041 Posts

Porsche lease terms are just generally very unfavorable compared to the rates available for financing, at least in the US. But sometimes there are other considerations, especially if you don’t intend to keep the car for more than 2-3 years. The depreciation on a v1.0 electric 4 door sedan over 100K is going to be very steep.
Old 11-15-2020, 12:51 AM
jlee504
Rennlist Member

Received 461 Likes on 255 Posts

I don’t know. I wouldn’t buy a used iPhone, or Tesla. And with porsches being that much more expensive I would be worried about the technology of the latest and greatest new Tesla. Would you buy a 3 yr old taycan or a new model s. What Tesla has going for it is there really isn’t much competing with a 3 yr old Tesla.

Haha I’m going to throw logic out the window in 2021 and buy a new cross tourismo. I love a good shooting brake.

Last edited by jlee504; 11-15-2020 at 12:52 AM.
Old 11-15-2020, 03:49 AM
Condor Man
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Calkar
If the $7500 is being applied as a capital reduction, wouldn't it make the monthly payment lower?
Yes this is true. My point is that even with the $7,500 the monthly number is still horrible and I think that Porsche hides the $7,500 to make their monthly figures look ok.
Old 11-20-2020, 03:05 PM
GreggT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by jlee504
so I've been having this conversation with many friends. wouldn't everyone want to only lease an electric vehicle? I've bought all my cars to date but I feel like when I'm ready to get into one it has to be a lease because its like an iPhone or an iPad, the technology will move so fast and the battery will degrade that why would anyone hold it? I can't figure out the logic to buy one of these as you have no idea how the used car market will be for an aged piece of technology.

am I missing it?
I get your point and of course everyone is different.
For me, I don't lease either but on every Pcar I've ever bought I've never given a thought to the next owner.....i.e. trade-in.
It's probably selfish but I determined years ago that driving/tracking was one of my life's pleasures. After some trial a error, determined Porsches fit well.
Life's short and if you share the passion, what more could you ask of a dollar than to provide that pleasure.....for 'you'.

Besides.....few people want my cars after they're moded them for 'me' anyway .
Old 11-29-2020, 08:51 PM
seatactony
Racer

Received 306 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by thebishman
Calkar: when I leased my Audi e-tron the Federal rebate was applied as a Cap cost reduction by Audi Financial services and helped markedly reduce the lease payment. I see no reason why Porsche Financial services wouldn’t also do this automatically or as part of a negotiation.
Having not purchased an EV before, how does this work? I thought that the tax credit was just that -- a tax credit against income that you could recover when you calculated taxes at year end. If Porsche is using the credit as a cap reduction, would also seem like you could get the credit if you are purchasing outright.
Old 11-30-2020, 11:08 AM
thebishman
Burning Brakes

Received 429 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by seatactony
Having not purchased an EV before, how does this work? I thought that the tax credit was just that -- a tax credit against income that you could recover when you calculated taxes at year end. If Porsche is using the credit as a cap reduction, would also seem like you could get the credit if you are purchasing outright.
My understanding is this:

1: Purchase: the buyer can take the full Federal tax rebate

2: Lease: the leasing company, in my case Audi Financial Services take the tax credit as they own the car, but then can, if they wish, apply the $7,500 as a Cap cost reduction as part of the discount/deal.

I leased so scenario 2 worked for me.
Old 11-30-2020, 12:53 PM
seatactony
Racer

Received 306 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by thebishman
My understanding is this:

1: Purchase: the buyer can take the full Federal tax rebate

2: Lease: the leasing company, in my case Audi Financial Services take the tax credit as they own the car, but then can, if they wish, apply the $7,500 as a Cap cost reduction as part of the discount/deal.

I leased so scenario 2 worked for me.
Got it and thanks!
thebishman (12-01-2020)

Quick Reply: Trying to Lease