Sponsored by:

Taycan 4S test drive

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2020, 08:57 PM
westwest888
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Taycan 4S test drive

Porsche Marin let me go for a test drive in a white Taycan 4S with a sticker of just over $120k on 19" base wheels. I've owned a 981 and now have a Tesla Model 3 Performance daily driver for the last 2 years and 18,000 miles. I've taken it on road trips up to 1200 miles, and to all 3 race tracks in the bay area for a trashing. The Tesla is quicker by 4 seconds a lap than my old Audi S4 dedicated track car despite being about 300 pounds heavier.

For the test drive, I got to do a loop around Tiburon peninsula on a familiar twisty waterfront road frequented by cyclists. The pavement is choppy in some areas, and the car was a dream in terms of ride quality. My first impression of the Taycan is it's NOT a 4 door electric 911. In fact, it's nothing like any 2 door Porsche sports car on sale (911 or 718). This car is more like a Macan with a squished roof. I would certainly say it's closest to the 4 door Porsche SUVs and sedan, and I almost wonder why they went with a sedan as the launch car instead of a crossover. This car would make more sense to me as the Taycan Cross-turismo, than in its present form. But it's a very nice and enjoyable large sedan regardless.

Though the 19" wheels will get the best range, I would upgrade to the 20" or 21". The tires were howling on every corner. In terms of speed, the 4S is quick enough to kill you. I don't think anyone "needs" the Turbo or Turbo S, nor would it be worth the price of entry. I do think adding the Performance Options Package to the Taycan for $7k is worth the price of entry. PDCC, rear wheel steer, and the rest of that kit would very might tighten up the (active) handling to make it more like the smaller and narrower Model 3. Taycan mostly feels wider than Model 3, but probably narrower than Model S in terms of cabin space (wheel to wheel may be equal).

The seating position in Taycan is fantastic. I'm 5' 9" and narrow build. I had no problem getting in or out. When the car is turned "off" (yes there's an on/off button), the electric seat moves back. This is a nice touch missing from the cheaper Tesla. It feels like Porsche in from the cockpit, with the headlight arches on either side and a low hood in the middle. Model 3 visibility is better and the hood falls away from your sight line in a shorter distance. I like the driver display in the Porsche. The other screens seemed needlessly complicated, and I didn't fiddle with them at all preferring to focus on the driving dynamics in "sport".

The electric sounds are very cool and give the car a sense of occasion. They are fun and probably worth paying for, in an options package. Overall, you get the feeling VW group is trying to paint this as a car from the future and these touches reinforce that (like a Disneyland Tomorrowland ride). The Tesla more effortlessly actually does embody the future in the present.

The best feature of the car over the Tesla is the transmission. 0-60 the Model 3 is undoubtedly quicker, but not by much. 60-80 rolling highway passing power felt quicker to me in the Taycan 4S than Model 3 Performance -- or at least equal. The Taycan finished stronger at 80 MPH and felt like it had more in it. The Model 3 is dying by that point and feels like a much lower trimmed car. I am now a big believer in EV transmissions. I couldn't feel it shift, but as an owner I'd probably be able to detect it. With smooth acceleration it was invisible. Maybe it clunks harder in a drag race or something. The power is really instantaneous and having the highway confidence of a much faster EV was nice. I'd really rather have this car than Macan Turbo, Cayenne Turbo, Panamera Turbo S, etc. -- for street and highway duty. Transmissions and turbos would be a lot less usable than what you have here, in terms of predictable power every time faster than your brain can move your foot. No special modes needed.

I don't think I would buy a Taycan 4S for the price of two Macans. The Audi E-Tron GT sedan is going to be the sweet spot in this lineup, even if it's missing the transmission and some other bits. Hell this car would be fine as RWD. I'm pretty sure the car I drove did not have RWS or anything fancy suspension-wise. I'd have to drive a Tesla Model S 100D again to know if I'd prefer that, but I'd probably prefer the Taycan. Then again, a 100D with options is only $82k. A P100D is $102k with options, which gets close to a Taycan net of tax credits. I'd probably go Taycan 4S or P100D today. Just the originality alone would be worth it. If Tesla can make a 3 motor car work, that might tip the scales back in their favor.

Last edited by westwest888; 09-07-2020 at 09:10 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by westwest888:
CarmineGT3 (09-07-2020), Needsdecaf (09-08-2020), poolie (03-24-2021)
Old 09-07-2020, 10:48 PM
CarmineGT3
Advanced

Received 176 Likes on 33 Posts

If price were no object, would you choose the Taycan 4S or the model 3 performance?

I'm currently having to choose between the two as my next daily driver. Currently have a 6MT M3 competition but lease is up in November.

I definitely prefer the interior, exterior design, and handling of the Taycan 4S but prefer the one pedal driving, autopilot, and daily usability/ergonomics of the Model 3. And of course the model 3 is much cheaper. Tough decision.
Old 09-08-2020, 01:52 PM
umwolverine
Racer

Received 128 Likes on 65 Posts

Thanks for the nice write-up. If you're driving hard enough to squeal the tires on every turn, then your recommendation for 20" or 21" wheels with their wider tires are a good choice. I'm not sure if you can put wider/better tires on the 19's, but you might want to check that out. I agree that nobody 'needs' the Turbo or Turbo S, but nobody 'needs' a Taycan.

I don't have the extensive experience you do driving the Tesla, but I've driven a number of them, and test drove the Taycan Turbo, and I can safely say there is just no comparison whatsoever in terms of your connection with the car. I believe the Taycan is the most connected 'daily driver' I've ever driven - and the most connected stock car with the possible exception of some of the Cayman/911 varieties, but it's a different kind of connection. The Taycan is effortless, whereas you really have to work and concentrate with something like a GT3 RS.
The following 2 users liked this post by umwolverine:
CarMaven (09-08-2020), poolie (03-24-2021)
Old 09-08-2020, 02:12 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,619 Likes on 1,627 Posts

Great write up, thanks for posting. I think you really nailed it's pluses and minuses.

One thing I'll disagree on is the electronic sport sound. I thought it was cool for about 5 minutes, then I was desperate to figure out how to turn it off. For me, it's the noise it makes decelerating that started to grate on me.

Old 09-09-2020, 08:29 PM
westwest888
Instructor

Originally Posted by CarmineGT3
If price were no object, would you choose the Taycan 4S or the model 3 performance?

I'm currently having to choose between the two as my next daily driver. Currently have a 6MT M3 competition but lease is up in November.

I definitely prefer the interior, exterior design, and handling of the Taycan 4S but prefer the one pedal driving, autopilot, and daily usability/ergonomics of the Model 3. And of course the model 3 is much cheaper. Tough decision.
I had to spend $7k to fix the brakes, $8k on suspension, $5k on wheels/tires, etc. to get the Tesla up to spec. I also did some optional things like a Motec above the steering column, alcantara headliner, etc. So my car costs almost as much as a 4S. It’s not as comfortable but it’s sportier.

If you want a car like the BMW M3, get the Model 3. If you want a car the size and feel of the modern 5 series, get the Taycan.
The following 4 users liked this post by westwest888:
CarmineGT3 (09-10-2020), daveo4porsche (09-09-2020), Needsdecaf (09-11-2020), poolie (03-24-2021)
Old 09-10-2020, 01:25 AM
Bry5on
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Sounds like we had the same test drive experience in the same car, just a week apart. Do you remember if that car has the performance options package?

I’m a 991 owner now, formerly in a 981, and that car really reminded me of a bulky cayman the way it was so intuitive and easy to start pushing on. Not so much like the 911 where it’s very nuanced, and definitely more sporty than the macans I’ve spent time driving. I think a set of tires would really change the way the car drives, although I liked the sidewall of the 19s . Definitely a car that is a blend of a lot of other porsches, and I came away super impressed.
The following 3 users liked this post by Bry5on:
CarMaven (09-10-2020), poolie (03-24-2021), Stevelev (10-20-2020)
Old 09-10-2020, 09:26 PM
westwest888
Instructor

Old 09-10-2020, 09:28 PM
westwest888
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bry5on
Sounds like we had the same test drive experience in the same car, just a week apart. Do you remember if that car has the performance options package?

I’m a 991 owner now, formerly in a 981, and that car really reminded me of a bulky cayman the way it was so intuitive and easy to start pushing on. Not so much like the 911 where it’s very nuanced, and definitely more sporty than the macans I’ve spent time driving. I think a set of tires would really change the way the car drives, although I liked the sidewall of the 19s . Definitely a car that is a blend of a lot of other porsches, and I came away super impressed.
It did not have the performance pack. The MSRP was too low. I think it was a fairly basic spec. Notice there was no sports chrono clock.

Last edited by westwest888; 09-10-2020 at 09:59 PM.
Old 09-11-2020, 12:48 AM
Bry5on
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by westwest888
It did not have the performance pack. The MSRP was too low. I think it was a fairly basic spec. Notice there was no sports chrono clock.
Right! Of course, thanks for that
Old 09-11-2020, 02:05 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,619 Likes on 1,627 Posts

Haha, that wing is not helping your Wh/mile!
Old 09-12-2020, 03:07 AM
westwest888
Instructor

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
Haha, that wing is not helping your Wh/mile!
It’s a CFD wind tunnel tested low drag piece. Lowering the car helps. Front lip helps. Flush spoke wheels hurt. Raking the car hurts. Rear bumper with GT4 style cut out helps. It’s a wash.
The following users liked this post:
daveo4porsche (09-12-2020)
Old 09-16-2020, 10:39 AM
Yousif
8th Gear

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by westwest888

When the car is turned "off" (yes there's an on/off button), the electric seat moves back. This is a nice touch missing from the cheaper Tesla.
Your Tesla Model 3 has an “Easy Entry” profile that will achieve the same function. Also, this thread speaks to me - I bought a Model 3 performance in December and drove it 6 months - absolutely love it. Then I let my wife drive it for a week - which has become 3 months now. She too loves it (although she hates the way it looks, she can’t deny it’s the quickest and easiest thing she’s ever driven). So, last Friday I traded in our Macan Turbo for a Taycan 4S. Each of the cars have their strengths. The Taycan definitely leads with build quality - it exudes excellence. Feels planted - like a go kart in a good way. The Model 3 - just seems like the people’s car of the future. Owning it the past 6 months has given me new appreciation for over the air updates and a car that never seems outdated. (For comparison, they updated the Macan nav 6 months after I bought it and it’s felt a little outdated since). It seems every month there’s a new feature released (dash cams for example, or a track mode update). And the self driving - really no other car effectively drives itself to you through a parking lot. It may be more of a party favor for now, but Tesla is miles ahead of the competition there.
The following 3 users liked this post by Yousif:
CarmineGT3 (09-17-2020), daveo4porsche (11-15-2020), Needsdecaf (09-16-2020)
Old 09-17-2020, 07:32 PM
CarmineGT3
Advanced

Received 176 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Yousif
Your Tesla Model 3 has an “Easy Entry” profile that will achieve the same function. Also, this thread speaks to me - I bought a Model 3 performance in December and drove it 6 months - absolutely love it. Then I let my wife drive it for a week - which has become 3 months now. She too loves it (although she hates the way it looks, she can’t deny it’s the quickest and easiest thing she’s ever driven). So, last Friday I traded in our Macan Turbo for a Taycan 4S. Each of the cars have their strengths. The Taycan definitely leads with build quality - it exudes excellence. Feels planted - like a go kart in a good way. The Model 3 - just seems like the people’s car of the future. Owning it the past 6 months has given me new appreciation for over the air updates and a car that never seems outdated. (For comparison, they updated the Macan nav 6 months after I bought it and it’s felt a little outdated since). It seems every month there’s a new feature released (dash cams for example, or a track mode update). And the self driving - really no other car effectively drives itself to you through a parking lot. It may be more of a party favor for now, but Tesla is miles ahead of the competition there.

If you could only keep one between the Model 3 and the Taycan 4S, what would you pick?
Old 09-17-2020, 11:38 PM
Yousif
8th Gear

Do the Tesla M3 Performance. Worst case scenario you hate it (you wont) and can sell it a few months later. The used market locally (in NC at least, but seemingly nation wide) is crazy; I see them advertised on car lots for the same price a brand new one goes for. It’s just too much car for the $$ not to make sense. Also, enjoy the M3 comp while you’ve got it; my M3 Comp convertible lease ends in December - while our Tesla is the future, (and feels significantly faster), there’s something to be said about watching the shift lights move on the dash and physically hitting 2nd and 3rd gears.

Last edited by Yousif; 09-17-2020 at 11:54 PM.
CarmineGT3 (09-20-2020)
Old 09-17-2020, 11:50 PM
Yousif
8th Gear

If you could only keep one between the Model 3 and the Taycan 4S, what would you pick?
I think I need to drive the Taycan for at least a month to give a fair answer but for now, it’s the Model 3. It’s just too much car for the $$. Don’t get me wrong, I have plenty to complain about the Tesla (build quality, customer service, etc) but at the end of the day, the pros far outweigh the cons, especially for half the price of the Taycan.

It’s not the answer your heart wants to hear, but it’s probably the responsible answer my brain wants to say. Let me drive the Taycan for a little longer and we’ll see if things change.
CarmineGT3 (09-20-2020)

Quick Reply: Taycan 4S test drive