Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Taycan 4S test drive

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2020, 06:37 PM
jlee504
Rennlist Member

Received 461 Likes on 255 Posts

I just got out of taycan turbo test drive for 20 miles. It’s a great car, the speed surprised me. The car was so smooth all the way to 110. It definitely drove like a heavy sedan but with far less body roll.

the only thing I would say is, it’s not a big performance gap from the Tesla to the taycan. It’s definitely a gap but I’m not sure for what is now a limited useful life product I would spend the extra money for the taycan. I want to. But it’s a tough pill to swallow and the Tesla leases make more sense.

Last edited by jlee504; 09-19-2020 at 06:41 PM.
Old 09-20-2020, 01:42 PM
CarmineGT3
Advanced

Received 176 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Yousif
I think I need to drive the Taycan for at least a month to give a fair answer but for now, it’s the Model 3. It’s just too much car for the $$. Don’t get me wrong, I have plenty to complain about the Tesla (build quality, customer service, etc) but at the end of the day, the pros far outweigh the cons, especially for half the price of the Taycan.

It’s not the answer your heart wants to hear, but it’s probably the responsible answer my brain wants to say. Let me drive the Taycan for a little longer and we’ll see if things change.

You are absolutely right! It's not the answer my heart wants to hear. I have test-driven both and been in both at the track. Well I definitely prefer the drive and experience of the Taycan, it doesn't make sense to spend twice as much on it as a daily when I have a GT3 manual for the weekend. My brain says to get the model 3 Performance and an S2000 or something else fun as well. I think the Taycan may depreciate faster as well. I really wanted to consider the new 6MT G80 BMW M3 but still can't stomach the new grill design. Sigh.
The following 2 users liked this post by CarmineGT3:
Needsdecaf (09-21-2020), Yousif (11-20-2020)
Old 09-21-2020, 10:21 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,619 Likes on 1,627 Posts

I think I need to drive the Taycan for at least a month to give a fair answer but for now, it’s the Model 3. It’s just too much car for the $$. Don’t get me wrong, I have plenty to complain about the Tesla (build quality, customer service, etc) but at the end of the day, the pros far outweigh the cons, especially for half the price of the Taycan.

It’s not the answer your heart wants to hear, but it’s probably the responsible answer my brain wants to say. Let me drive the Taycan for a little longer and we’ll see if things change.
Interesting to hear. Will like to hear what you think after a month.

I drove a Taycan expecting to race back to the dealer digging my wallet out to place an order. And while I really enjoyed what the car is, for a daily driver, the Model 3 just can't be beat, unless the extra $70k just doesn't mean anything to you. And I understand to some people, it doesn't and they wouldn't be caught dead in a Tesla. I completely understand that and respect it. The Taycan, without a doubt, is a better car.
The following users liked this post:
CarmineGT3 (09-27-2020)
Old 09-21-2020, 10:23 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CarmineGT3
You are absolutely right! It's not the answer my heart wants to hear. I have test-driven both and been in both at the track. Well I definitely prefer the drive and experience of the Taycan, it doesn't make sense to spend twice as much on it as a daily when I have a GT3 manual for the weekend. My brain says to get the model 3 Performance and an S2000 or something else fun as well. I think the Taycan may depreciate faster as well. I really wanted to consider the new 6MT G80 BMW M3 but still can't stomach the new grill design. Sigh.
Keep the GT3, buy the M3 Performance and immediately replace the shocks with Mountain Pass Performance (KW) or Redwood Performance (Ohlins) coilovers. Upgrade brakes if you're going to track it, leave it alone if not. Then you'll forget about the S2000. Trust me. You already have one screaming N/A, manual car for fun, you won't need another. The Model 3 (or the Taycan too of course!) is a perfect foil for the GT3. @daveo4porsche would agree.
The following 5 users liked this post by Needsdecaf:
AlexCeres (10-18-2020), Bry5on (09-21-2020), CarmineGT3 (09-27-2020), daveo4porsche (09-21-2020), Yousif (09-26-2020)
Old 09-26-2020, 11:56 AM
westwest888
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 32 Posts

For a second car, I put a deposit on a Polestar 2 with the optional performance pack and tan nappa leather with ventilated seats. It's exactly $70k loaded and gets all of the tax credits. Has the autopilot functions and better components like rear facing radar. The optional brakes are 375x35mm Brembo 4 pistons, 20" forged wheels, and Ohlins DFV manually adjustable 22 position dampers. It's a better car than a stock Model 3 Performance, IMO.

Delivery should be in December. Oddly, it comes from Wuhan China. Battery pouches are from LG Chem. Weighs the same as Model Y. Technically, it's a crossover 5 door that sits a bit higher than Model 3.

Needsdecaf (10-19-2020)
Old 10-18-2020, 01:48 PM
CarmineGT3
Advanced

Just wanted to check in and see if you had any additional thoughts

They recently refreshed the Model 3 Performance two days ago and I took the advice of most people on this thread and placed an order for a model 3 Performance!

The following 6 users liked this post by CarmineGT3:
daveo4porsche (10-18-2020), Needsdecaf (10-19-2020), Pokerhobo (10-18-2020), whiz944 (10-18-2020), Yousif (11-20-2020), Zcd1 (10-19-2020) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-19-2020, 10:07 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by westwest888
For a second car, I put a deposit on a Polestar 2 with the optional performance pack and tan nappa leather with ventilated seats. It's exactly $70k loaded and gets all of the tax credits. Has the autopilot functions and better components like rear facing radar. The optional brakes are 375x35mm Brembo 4 pistons, 20" forged wheels, and Ohlins DFV manually adjustable 22 position dampers. It's a better car than a stock Model 3 Performance, IMO.

Delivery should be in December. Oddly, it comes from Wuhan China. Battery pouches are from LG Chem. Weighs the same as Model Y. Technically, it's a crossover 5 door that sits a bit higher than Model 3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8LS...6cWpDBb56dBsRU
I'll be very interested in hearing your thoughts. Test drive reviews have been mixed on the Performance, but who the heck knows where the shocks were setup wise. Definitely a nicer car, however a bit disappointing that it's so heavy and not all that quick. But seems to be a very good car and I'm looking forward to getting my hands on one in real life.
Old 10-19-2020, 10:47 AM
Zcd1
Racer

Received 135 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by CarmineGT3
...They recently refreshed the Model 3 Performance two days ago and I took the advice of most people on this thread and placed an order for a model 3 Performance!
Congrats - all of the updates look great, and I'm going to bet you'll really enjoy the car!

When do you expect delivery?
Old 10-20-2020, 12:27 AM
CarmineGT3
Advanced

Originally Posted by Zcd1
Congrats - all of the updates look great, and I'm going to bet you'll really enjoy the car!

When do you expect delivery?
​​​​​​
first week of December
Old 11-14-2020, 09:31 PM
RCorsa
Pro

Received 440 Likes on 197 Posts

I test drove a 4S today. I’m a long time Tesla owner 2014 model s, 2017 model p100, model x 90d and currently my wife and I each have a 2019 model 3 performance. I’ve also had a Panamera GTS, a 911 991.1 Turbo S Coupe, and just sold my 911 991.2 Turbo S Cabriolet.

Tesla bad aspects: Fit and finish - Tesla sucks. Road noice is loud in the 3.
Good aspects: tech is awesome, Range is great, autopilot is amazing. Cars are quick and very responsive.

My thoughts today on the Porsche . Overall it is a great car. Fit and finish and drive performance is amazing. Little road noise and better audio.

Obviously the range is not nearly as good. Dealer said to expect around 215. I get around 300-305 in the Tesla. Performance wise the Tesla feels quicker but in sport plus the Porsche felt close as the instant torque of all electric cars exaggerates the speed.

The Porsche is well... a Porsche. I love the brand and if money doesn’t matter (about 2.5x the cost) and you’re going to use as a daily driver and can charge at home each night it’s a no brainer.. get the Porsche.

I’ve got a 992 Turbo S cab on a boat to the USA now which will be my weekend car and I’ll likely trade my model 3 performance in for a 4s for my new daily driver.
The following 6 users liked this post by RCorsa:
Bry5on (11-15-2020), daveo4porsche (11-15-2020), Der-Schwabe (11-15-2020), Needsdecaf (11-15-2020), poolie (03-24-2021), Yousif (11-20-2020) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 11-15-2020, 11:09 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RCorsa
I test drove a 4S today. I’m a long time Tesla owner 2014 model s, 2017 model p100, model x 90d and currently my wife and I each have a 2019 model 3 performance. I’ve also had a Panamera GTS, a 911 991.1 Turbo S Coupe, and just sold my 911 991.2 Turbo S Cabriolet.

Tesla bad aspects: Fit and finish - Tesla sucks. Road noice is loud in the 3.
Good aspects: tech is awesome, Range is great, autopilot is amazing. Cars are quick and very responsive.

My thoughts today on the Porsche . Overall it is a great car. Fit and finish and drive performance is amazing. Little road noise and better audio.

Obviously the range is not nearly as good. Dealer said to expect around 215. I get around 300-305 in the Tesla. Performance wise the Tesla feels quicker but in sport plus the Porsche felt close as the instant torque of all electric cars exaggerates the speed.

The Porsche is well... a Porsche. I love the brand and if money doesn’t matter (about 2.5x the cost) and you’re going to use as a daily driver and can charge at home each night it’s a no brainer.. get the Porsche.

I’ve got a 992 Turbo S cab on a boat to the USA now which will be my weekend car and I’ll likely trade my model 3 performance in for a 4s for my new daily driver.
Thanks for your detailed thoughts and congrats on the incoming 992!

im definitely starting to see a very consistent pattern here. The Porsche of EV’s in all ways, both good and bad.
Old 11-17-2020, 12:10 PM
AlecG
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

I have a Taycan Turbo on order but am struggling to accept the $30K/yr depreciation curve.

I'm seriously considering cancelling my order and just getting a 991.1 Turbo S to be in a much "flatter portion of the depreciation curve."

Besides the obvious difference in powertrain, the Taycan Turbo and Turbo S have a similar goal...to be an extremely capable, AWD, quiet GT car that can be driven daily.
Old 11-18-2020, 05:56 PM
jlee504
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AlecG
I have a Taycan Turbo on order but am struggling to accept the $30K/yr depreciation curve.

I'm seriously considering cancelling my order and just getting a 991.1 Turbo S to be in a much "flatter portion of the depreciation curve."

Besides the obvious difference in powertrain, the Taycan Turbo and Turbo S have a similar goal...to be an extremely capable, AWD, quiet GT car that can be driven daily.
I loved the taycan turbo and would own it over a Turbo S, but yeah I agree the depreciation curve could be killer. market has yet to prove out where the value for these will be in 3 years
Old 11-18-2020, 06:25 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AlecG

Yeah, but that's kind of like saying do I want to get full by eating hamburgers or do I want to get full by eating a lot of killer salads. Two different approaches.

but I understand, I can't stomach the depreciation either. I strongly considered making the Taycan my only car, but for the same price I kept my Model 3 daily driver and bought a 997 Turbo for the weekends. Will cost me quite a bit less in the end and will make the 997 TT that much more special.
CarmineGT3 (11-19-2020)
Old 11-18-2020, 07:39 PM
jlee504
Rennlist Member

But at some point with the leases as bad as they are if you want a porsche ev we’re gonna have to suck it up..lol.

Quick Reply: Taycan 4S test drive