Notices
Taycan 2019-Current The Electric Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions wanted...consolidate 911 and Model 3 to a Taycan?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2020 | 02:02 PM
997at
Rennlist Member

Default Opinions wanted...consolidate 911 and Model 3 to a Taycan?

Hi All,

I bought a Model 3 Dual Motor a few years ago so I could use the EV lane on my Bay Area commute. (I know...not very altruistic.) I must say that I've enjoyed driving the car from an acceleration and tech standpoint but have not appreciated the seats and the build quality of the interior and body. I have two other cars...a 1982 911 SC with only 85K and in amazing original (sympathetic restoration) condition. I will not part with this car and really enjoy working on and driving it for obvious reasons. I also have a 2013 C4S. I enjoy this also for obvious reasons, and I usually trade the "for fun" driving time between the SC and 991.
I've been thinking about selling both the 991 and Model 3 to get a 4S Taycan. I'd be down one car (good in my book), still have a fun to drive modern P car for days when I'm taking a longer road trip and want good AC, and still have an EV commuter that can carry 4 peeps. And...I get Porsche luxury and build quality in my DD.
Has anyone done something similar and had no regrets getting the Taycan? Kind of a broad question but thought I'd throw it out there to you guys.
Old 07-05-2020 | 02:06 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Sounds like a good decision. I like the one car idea as well, doesn't happen to work as well for me as I drive 20k miles a year, just going to and from work. Add in OH winters and having a dedicated daily driver and dedicated sports car is best. For you, I would say go for it. Post up your spec when you order.
Old 07-05-2020 | 06:32 PM
r553
Rennlist Member

Sounds like a plan. In my case I can't part with the Spyder, the Cayenne is my wife's DD.
Old 07-05-2020 | 06:41 PM
SFsoundguy
Instructor

Sounds like a plan. Funny I stack my EVs just so I always have a current HOV sticker on one car. Unfortunately that program ends Sept 2025 for good in California. I should have my T4S in a few months and will just add another EV in 2022.
Old 07-05-2020 | 10:26 PM
flickroll
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 997at
Hi All,

I bought a Model 3 Dual Motor a few years ago so I could use the EV lane on my Bay Area commute. (I know...not very altruistic.) I must say that I've enjoyed driving the car from an acceleration and tech standpoint but have not appreciated the seats and the build quality of the interior and body. I have two other cars...a 1982 911 SC with only 85K and in amazing original (sympathetic restoration) condition. I will not part with this car and really enjoy working on and driving it for obvious reasons. I also have a 2013 C4S. I enjoy this also for obvious reasons, and I usually trade the "for fun" driving time between the SC and 991.
I've been thinking about selling both the 991 and Model 3 to get a 4S Taycan. I'd be down one car (good in my book), still have a fun to drive modern P car for days when I'm taking a longer road trip and want good AC, and still have an EV commuter that can carry 4 peeps. And...I get Porsche luxury and build quality in my DD.
Has anyone done something similar and had no regrets getting the Taycan? Kind of a broad question but thought I'd throw it out there to you guys.
I’m in the process of doing something similar. Going from a 2018 991.2 GTS and 2019 MS LR to a Taycan Turbo. I hope the Taycan can perform adequately as a DD and also as a performance car. I have no doubt that it will do the performance car bit just fine. If it fails as a DD I’ll buy a high mileage rice rocket SUV to perform some of the DD duties. I thought I’d be really sad saying goodbye to the GTS, but because I rarely drove it, it was no big deal. Really looking forward to the Taycan Turbo which should be here any day now. Attached is the spec sheet for the Taycan. I didn’t order it, someone else did, but I would have picked most of the options. I did get a great discount on it.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Incoming Taycan.pdf (1.45 MB, 92 views)
Old 07-06-2020 | 02:40 PM
Bob Roberts
Racer

If the HOV sticker matters that much, then you may as well get a Taycan, register it for HOV in January 2021 and have the sticker for another 4 years. Since you can't renew the sticker on your M3, you will lose that benefit before then.
The following users liked this post:
AlexCeres (07-06-2020)
Old 07-07-2020 | 09:49 AM
VOLTCONTROL
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bob Roberts
If the HOV sticker matters that much, then you may as well get a Taycan, register it for HOV in January 2021 and have the sticker for another 4 years. Since you can't renew the sticker on your M3, you will lose that benefit before then.
Definitely. ^

Going from the Tesla to the Taycan will be such an upgrade in terms of driver experience.
Ditch the C4S considering that you already have the enthusiast aspect covered with the SC. An additional thought on the SC; likely you'll want to keep that tiptop so perhaps add a 996 (or early Cayman) as a track rat/autocross/modification item or just for spanking it on mountain roads.
Old 07-09-2020 | 12:39 AM
997at
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the feedback guys. Going to test drive one this weekend. Will update afterwards.

Quick Reply: Opinions wanted...consolidate 911 and Model 3 to a Taycan?