EV's and 12 volt battery pitfalls - Taycan edition

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2020, 04:45 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,619 Likes on 1,627 Posts

Originally Posted by Lorenfb
You obviously don't know all the states the vehicle's systems were in when the 12V was be drained, i.e. you stated you left the vehicle unlocked & charging to go the bed.
There have been cases with other BEVs where the vehicle's 12V died after a charging completion, because the EVSE was left connected causing some ECUs to remain on.
Typically the 400/800V battery of an BEV only maintains the 12V battery when the vehicle is locked or in the run/ON mode.
Meh, I'm not buying this argument. You're saying that in order for the 12v battery to not die, I have to run out and unplug the car when it's done charging because otherwise the car won't power down in sleep mode? Nah, not buying that. That would be a really inconvenient thing for pretty much anyone who plugs their car in to charge over night. Which is what most of these manufacturers suggest you do. In fact, Tesla specifically states you should keep your car plugged in, even when at your desired charging goal.

Also, it looks like car locked / unlocked doesn't matter:

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/th...-is-dead.2616/

Porsche has a real issue here. They know it, but they have no solution. There should be zero reason for the car to shunt to a safety mode because of a low 12v level while the car is plugged into a power source.

The following users liked this post:
daveo4porsche (10-09-2020)
Old 10-07-2020, 05:22 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
Meh, I'm not buying this argument. You're saying that in order for the 12v battery to not die, I have to run out and unplug the car when it's done charging because otherwise the car won't power down in sleep mode? Nah, not buying that. That would be a really inconvenient thing for pretty much anyone who plugs their car in to charge over night. Which is what most of these manufacturers suggest you do. In fact, Tesla specifically states you should keep your car plugged in, even when at your desired charging goal.

Also, it looks like car locked / unlocked doesn't matter:

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/th...-is-dead.2616/

Porsche has a real issue here. They know it, but they have no solution. There should be zero reason for the car to shunt to a safety mode because of a low 12v level while the car is plugged into a power source.
Your guess is no better than mine! Obviously Porsche needs to try and simulate the problem with the owners vehicle,
e.g. it could be a home EVSE problem preventing the Taycan systems from entering their sleep mode.
Old 10-07-2020, 11:43 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,968 Likes on 1,926 Posts

Your guess is no better than mine! Obviously Porsche needs to try and simulate the problem with the owners vehicle,
e.g. it could be a home EVSE problem preventing the Taycan systems from entering their sleep mode.
so basically if the vehicle only works with porsche chargers your 12V might die if you’re using a non-porsche charger or public charger.
Old 10-08-2020, 10:34 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Actually I've read through all the threads on Taycan forum, and spoken to Dave offline who is dealing with this issue now. So while I have no idea what's causing it, I do have a pretty good handle on the issue. And I'm following this because Tesla Model 3's are having their 12v batteries die after about 2 years, sometimes without warning. A not similar, but seemingly possibly related issue. I wonder if Leafs, Bolts, etc. also have 12v battery issues?

It's most recently happened on a public charger in the UK. So not simply a home EVSE problem.

From Dave's discussion with Porsche:

• Question: does checking the "connect" app causes this problem?
  • Porsche Answer: it is a contributing factor, but can happen with or without connect app activity
  • Question: does using non PMCC chargers cause this problem?
  • Porsche Answer: non-PMCC chargers do not cause this problem, but create the circumstances where it is easier for this problem to occur.
  • Question: does Porsche have a reproducible case for this problem?
  • Porsche Answer: we are investigating some reports of 12V battery offline events and are aware this is a possibility with current vehicles.
The following users liked this post:
daveo4porsche (10-08-2020)
Old 10-08-2020, 12:44 PM
whiz944
Burning Brakes

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Actually I've read through all the threads on Taycan forum, and spoken to Dave offline who is dealing with this issue now. So while I have no idea what's causing it, I do have a pretty good handle on the issue. And I'm following this because Tesla Model 3's are having their 12v batteries die after about 2 years, sometimes without warning. A not similar, but seemingly possibly related issue. I wonder if Leafs, Bolts, etc. also have 12v battery issues?
As I mentioned back in post #s 14 and 20, yes - early (2011 and 2012) Leafs and Volts did have some issues. In the case of the Volt, the 2013s contained some hardware improvements, followed by additional improvements in the Gen 2 (2016-2019) Volts. The Bolt EV incorporated what they learned when doing the Gen 2 Volt.

The curious thing to me is that Porsche has been building e-Hybrid plug-ins for several years now - not to mention VAG in general has been building e-Golfs, e-Trons, etc. Did Porsche throw out all their institutional knowledge when doing the Taycan, and missed something in the process?

As an aside, the high trim version of the Gen 1 Leafs had a small solar panel on the rear spoiler that could trickle charge the 12V battery when parked in the sun. It would be interesting to know if in practice this helped prevent 12V battery issues or not compared to the lower trim versions. Somewhat telling is that the Gen 2 Leaf no longer offers the feature.
Old 10-08-2020, 12:58 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

It's most recently happened on a public charger in the UK. So not simply a home EVSE problem.

Yes, the Leafs had TCU (Telematic Control Unit) problems when using its Connect app, i.e. that ECU would hang (no time-out)
and prevent other systems from entering sleep mode draining the 12V battery.
Old 10-08-2020, 01:01 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Originally Posted by whiz944
As I mentioned back in post #s 14 and 20, yes - early (2011 and 2012) Leafs and Volts did have some issues. In the case of the Volt, the 2013s contained some hardware improvements, followed by additional improvements in the Gen 2 (2016-2019) Volts. The Bolt EV incorporated what they learned when doing the Gen 2 Volt.

The curious thing to me is that Porsche has been building e-Hybrid plug-ins for several years now - not to mention VAG in general has been building e-Golfs, e-Trons, etc. Did Porsche throw out all their institutional knowledge when doing the Taycan, and missed something in the process?

As an aside, the high trim version of the Gen 1 Leafs had a small solar panel on the rear spoiler that could trickle charge the 12V battery when parked in the sun. It would be interesting to know if in practice this helped prevent 12V battery issues or not compared to the lower trim versions. Somewhat telling is that the Gen 2 Leaf no longer offers the feature.
It provided a max of 100ma (bright sun) which supplied enough to cover the key-off drain of about 40ma and supply a little 12V charge.
Old 10-08-2020, 01:17 PM
acoste
Burning Brakes

Received 138 Likes on 97 Posts

I didn't investigate this issue yet. Just a comment. BMW's first V8 turbo engines kept killing the 12V batteries in the US to the point that BMW decided to replace the battery at every oil change. The combination of high load from consumers and the short distance commutes wore out the batteries fast. (it was used for mild regen as well)

Last edited by acoste; 10-08-2020 at 01:19 PM.
Old 10-08-2020, 03:41 PM
Wiley Hodges
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by whiz944

My wife's e-Golf killed its 12V battery a few months ago, and it turned out that there was a VW service action that involved replacing the 12V battery and DC-DC converter and performing a bunch of software updates. Sounds painfully familiar...
Old 10-08-2020, 05:35 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by acoste
I didn't investigate this issue yet. Just a comment. BMW's first V8 turbo engines kept killing the 12V batteries in the US to the point that BMW decided to replace the battery at every oil change. The combination of high load from consumers and the short distance commutes wore out the batteries fast. (it was used for mild regen as well)
Yes, mainly because that was BMW's first attempt at using an on-demand alternator. With disastrous results. Yet another reason I've run from BMW and not looked back. Instead of admitting they had an issue, they decided replacing the battery at every oil change, at consumer cost, is an acceptable maintenance practice. And oh yeah, it's an AGM and you can only use ours because we need to reset the charging parameters so you don't overcharge a fresh battery.

Give me a break.

Don't believe that there was really mild regen, moreso that the alternator would declutch under engine load to prevent parasitic loss, and then engage only on the over-run.
Old 10-08-2020, 05:44 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,968 Likes on 1,926 Posts

my issue here is EV's are different than ICE's - in the case of the ICE when the battery dies there is no other power source available to "save" the battery

so far in the case of the Tin-can 12V issue - there has been ample power sources - even going so far as to being plugged into "shore power" with ample power resources on tap to prevent the 12V from being fully discharged - and yet the vehicle is allowing the 12V to die even when the main battery has ample power, and there is an existing external power source…

the vehicle is not lacking resources to save the 12V battery when this occurs…

it would be one thing if the battery was at 5% or less, and the car has been parked in a parking complex at the airport for 2 weeks- that's a different situation

in all cases the vehicles so far to date have had ample main battery power, plugged into charging source and has happened "overnight" when the vehicle was used/functional less than 24 hours before…in-excusable comes to mind.
Old 10-08-2020, 08:12 PM
acoste
Burning Brakes

Yes, mainly because that was BMW's first attempt at using an on-demand alternator. With disastrous results.
The issue came with the V8 engines and US only. 6cyl were fine.

Yet another reason I've run from BMW and not looked back. Instead of admitting they had an issue, they decided replacing the battery at every oil change, at consumer cost, is an acceptable maintenance practice.
Does Tesla handle defects any better?

Don't believe that there was really mild regen, moreso that the alternator would declutch under engine load to prevent parasitic loss, and then engage only on the over-run.
Yes it did have regenerative braking.

Old 10-08-2020, 08:13 PM
acoste
Burning Brakes

Yes, the Leafs had TCU (Telematic Control Unit) problems when using its Connect app, i.e. that ECU would hang (no time-out)
and prevent other systems from entering sleep mode draining the 12V battery.
Yeah, car makers don't like time-outs.
It's easier to find a problem in a car in service when there is a continuous retry instead of a time out.
Old 10-09-2020, 10:32 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Does Tesla handle defects any better?
No. But two wrong's don't make a right. BMW's situation, IMO, is more egregious given their position in the automotive world. You seem to continually think I'm hoisting Tesla on some kind of pedestal. I've publicly acknowledged that their service sucks, so can we stop this tired trope?

Yes it did have regenerative braking.
Regen braking implies significant braking force due to the drag caused by the electric motor. In my drives of various 550's and M5's, and I drove maybe 6-8, I never detected any more off-throttle rolling resistance than in my 535. How much retardation did this alternator on demand actually supply?

Regardless, the overall point is clear.
Old 10-09-2020, 11:36 AM
acoste
Burning Brakes

No. But two wrong's don't make a right. BMW's situation, IMO, is more egregious given their position in the automotive world. You seem to continually think I'm hoisting Tesla on some kind of pedestal. I've publicly acknowledged that their service sucks, so can we stop this tired trope?

Regen braking implies significant braking force due to the drag caused by the electric motor. In my drives of various 550's and M5's, and I drove maybe 6-8, I never detected any more off-throttle rolling resistance than in my 535. How much retardation did this alternator on demand actually supply?

Regardless, the overall point is clear.

Not a lot of regen since the battery (and the alternator) is small. But it raised the alternator's output voltage under deceleration. 100A x 14V = 1.4kW. If you compare that to how much power you need for accelerating a car, you see this is very little.

Last edited by acoste; 10-09-2020 at 11:38 AM.

Quick Reply: EV's and 12 volt battery pitfalls - Taycan edition