Rennlist Member

Received 3,870 Likes on 1,885 Posts

@Antigravity that's cool!
Old 05-16-2020, 03:14 PM
whiz944
Burning Brakes

Received 424 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by Antigravity
We make a bluetooth device called the Battery Tracker, you can connect to any 12v battery including the Teslas... that will give you the real time voltage as well as 31 days of Historical voltages.... it send all the information to you phone so you don't actually have to check the battery or turn on the car to see the realtime voltage. It all goes to your phone.. Above you can see the picture of the graph that is ONE DAY in the Historical area of the App you use. It would allow you to monitor you batteries charge level at all times. But it wouldn't TELL you if you cars battery was bad being that take a load tester, and it DOES have a starting tester on the App for regular cars that would give you a good indication of your Batteries condition... but on and electric vehicle you don't have to "Start" the vehicle so you don't get that higher load to test with. But another good indication is the battery not holding a charge well, and the Battery Tracker can show that...
After Antigravity posted this, I bought one (lead acid version) from them to play with for my 944 and perhaps a couple of my other cars that are not daily driven. What a fun toy! Highly recommended. And yeah - it will be interesting to see what it shows in the plug-in cars. (Volt is 4.5 years old and still on the original AGM 12V battery. Tesla is almost at 2 years.)
The following users liked this post:
daveo4porsche (05-16-2020)
Old 05-17-2020, 12:58 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,014 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by whiz944
After Antigravity posted this, I bought one (lead acid version) from them to play with for my 944 and perhaps a couple of my other cars that are not daily driven. What a fun toy! Highly recommended. And yeah - it will be interesting to see what it shows in the plug-in cars. (Volt is 4.5 years old and still on the original AGM 12V battery. Tesla is almost at 2 years.)
Thanks for getting the Antigravity Battery Tracker...it can be really useful thing to have for any 12v system Auto, Motorcycle, Boat, Plane or other 12v vehicles..

I think I forgot to mention it is also only a 1 miiliamp draw so it posses absolutely no significant draw on the Cars battery when installed. I recall getting that question a few times in other threads so wanted to post that..

Also if anyone is interested or has question you can PM me. I don't want to hijack the thread, just wanted to point out something that might be useful for the Taycan/Teslas Lead/Acid systems batteries.

Old 05-17-2020, 04:27 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

latest is Porsche has reproduced this problem w/logging enabled and w/Porsche charger - so I guess we'll be seeing an update - apparently can happen to any Taycan w/Any charger.
Old 05-17-2020, 08:37 PM
whiz944
Burning Brakes

Received 424 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche
latest is Porsche has reproduced this problem w/logging enabled and w/Porsche charger - so I guess we'll be seeing an update - apparently can happen to any Taycan w/Any charger.
As I alluded to back in post #14, some early plugins (e.g., 2011-2012 Volt, early Leaf, etc), when parked, only charge the 12V battery while the main pack is being charged. After the main pack is charged to the desired level, no further charging of the 12V battery would take place. This could lead to a situation where a 12V vampire draw, such as some aftermarket part, door left open, telematics, etc could eventually drain the 12V battery - even though the car is plugged in.

While the car is being driven, the 12V battery is charged via the DC-DC converter - similar to how an alternator maintains the 12V system in an ICE car.

In the case of the early Volts, GM fixed the problem in the 2013 model year and redesigned it again when the Gen 2 came out for the 2016 model year. Hardware changes, not software. So just something that owners of the early cars have to be aware of. Same with Nissan. Though some of the higher trim Gen 1 Leafs have a little solar panel on the rear spoiler to keep the 12V battery trickle charged while parked in an outdoor parking lot.

Hopefully Porsche didn't make the same mistake. And if they did, hopefully there is a software fix and not hardware redesign. Not sure if the e-Golf or E-Tron have similar problems - as I haven't followed them very closely.
Old 05-17-2020, 10:51 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Antigravity
I think I forgot to mention it is also only a 1 miiliamp draw so it posses absolutely no significant draw on the Cars battery when installed. I recall getting that question a few times in other threads so wanted to post that..
1. Consider adding the 1ma draw to the "Learn More" description, i.e. a key feature.
2. Clicking on the "Learn More" for the Battery Tracker takes you here;
https://antigravitybatteries.com/pro...e/accessories/
3. To eventually find the Battery Tracker (lead acid), one needs to scroll through multiple pages. Did order one!
The following users liked this post:
Antigravity (05-18-2020)
Old 05-18-2020, 12:56 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,014 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by Lorenfb
1. Consider adding the 1ma draw to the "Learn More" description, i.e. a key feature.
2. Clicking on the "Learn More" for the Battery Tracker takes you here;
https://antigravitybatteries.com/pro...e/accessories/
3. To eventually find the Battery Tracker (lead acid), one needs to scroll through multiple pages. Did order one!
Thanks, these are important issues and just asked the Webmater to update and actually put the 1mah draw in the first paragraph of the description to make sure anyone even reading about them will know. The Battery Tracker image takes you to the overall "accessories page" for Starter Battery products so yes we have a lot. I'm also trying to have her update it so the Antigravity Battery Ttracker is coming up as one of the earlier products since it is more of a seller than a cable or something. Thanks for the input. Making this stuff easier for someone coming to the site is important.
Old 10-06-2020, 09:05 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

saga continues

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/th...t….2525/

one think I've learned - 12V battery is behind a relay - once it's offline no trickle charger will recover it.

remind me again how much better Porsche is than other manufacturers?
Old 10-06-2020, 11:33 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

saga continues

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/th...r-night….2525/

one think I've learned - 12V battery is behind a relay - once it's offline no trickle charger will recover it.

Like most vehicles, if it's not locked, it won't enter its "sleep mode", i.e. multiple ECUs may be active on the vehicle CAN bus consuming power from the 12V battery.
Old 10-07-2020, 01:19 AM
acoste
Burning Brakes

Received 138 Likes on 97 Posts

saga continues

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/th...t….2525/

Have you lost your panoramic roof yet? Some car makers managed to reach that achievement as well.

12V battery caused the brake to malfunction in a Model 3 recently.

Well, you wanted to prove Porsche is just as bad as a Tesla. You got it.

Last edited by acoste; 10-07-2020 at 01:24 AM.
Old 10-07-2020, 02:08 AM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

actually - yes porsche dId replace my glass panoramic glass roof on my new tin-can
Old 10-07-2020, 02:09 AM
acoste
Burning Brakes

Received 138 Likes on 97 Posts

actually - yes porsche dId replace my glass panoramic glass roof on my new tin-can
Good. Expect the control arms to fall apart as well.
Old 10-07-2020, 02:39 AM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Lorenfb
Like most vehicles, if it's not locked, it won't enter its "sleep mode", i.e. multiple ECUs may be active on the vehicle CAN bus consuming power from the 12V battery.
‘yeah cause it’s reasonable to expect an electric car with a 93 kWh 800v battery while plugged into a 48 amp 240 volt power source let it’s 12V battery drop offline bricking the vehicle - totally reasonable.

do you own an Tin-can? cause you expect things to be left “on” and running and the 12V battery not to die requiring the vehicle to be flatbedded to the dealership.
Old 10-07-2020, 12:08 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,618 Posts

Originally Posted by acoste
Have you lost your panoramic roof yet? Some car makers managed to reach that achievement as well.

12V battery caused the brake to malfunction in a Model 3 recently.

Well, you wanted to prove Porsche is just as bad as a Tesla. You got it.
Yeah, apparently Polestar just as bad. Because you know, shutting down in the middle of a road isn't such a good driving experience:

Every Polestar 2 Built So Far Is Being Recalled for Power Loss Issue
The issue is troubling. A software glitch could cause the vehicles to lose power and stop while driving, which is clearly a safety problem. This has affected three vehicles already, according to Polestar, but there have apparently not been any accidents or injuries as a result.
I don't think this is what everyone meant by "bleeding edge" technology.
Old 10-07-2020, 12:20 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

‘yeah cause it’s reasonable to expect an electric car with a 93 kWh 800v battery while plugged into a 48 amp 240 volt power source let it’s 12V battery drop offline bricking the vehicle - totally reasonable.

do you own an Tin-can? cause you expect things to be left “on” and running and the 12V battery not to die requiring the vehicle to be flatbedded to the dealership.
You obviously don't know all the states the vehicle's systems were in when the 12V was be drained, i.e. you stated you left the vehicle unlocked & charging to go the bed.
There have been cases with other BEVs where the vehicle's 12V died after a charging completion, because the EVSE was left connected causing some ECUs to remain on.
Typically the 400/800V battery of an BEV only maintains the 12V battery when the vehicle is locked or in the run/ON mode.

Quick Reply: EV's and 12 volt battery pitfalls - Taycan edition