Notices
Taycan 2019-Current The Electric Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ElectrifyAmerica in Texas - Bueller?? Bueller??

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2019, 01:47 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 97 Posts
Default ElectrifyAmerica in Texas - Bueller?? Bueller??

So I am impatiently waiting for the Taycan 4S announcement so that I can get my order in (Turbo/Turbo S is too rich for me!), and I periodically check the ElectrifyAmerica website to see what they've built in the Dallas-Fort Worth area. To date, there are TWO, count 'em, TWO locations built for all of DFW. One in the western parts of Fort Worth (at a WalMart close to Carswell JRB) and a second way to the northeast of Dallas on I30 headed to Arkansas. WTH??? Further, I saw no evidence of any construction at ParkPlace in Dallas for any of the 800V chargers, nor at ParkPlace Grapevine (two fo the four Porsche dealers here in the DFW area)..

Then I checked the "strategic" plan laid out by EA, and it would seem that there is a significant focus on building stations in CA almost exclusively! C'mon EA, can you perhaps get some stations planned somewhere outside of CA, perhaps in the major metropolitan areas of Texas? Of course, I'll charge my 4S at home (on a 50-amp circuit) and our new building is scheduled to have chargers in place as well, but seriously?? That "promise" of 3 years of "free" recharges is pretty well vapor in the DFW area.

Anyone have any insider contacts at EA? Would love to start burning their ears about building out their infrastructure here in Texas, specifically DFW. Cusrious what any Austin/San Anotnio/Houston drivers are seeing/hearing.

Toby
Old 09-25-2019, 01:58 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,968 Likes on 1,926 Posts

recommend you use plugshare since it lists nearly all chargers regardless of network - while we wait for EA's network build out Chargepoint and EVGo are established players and have a good track record with 50, 100, and 150 kW chargers - also keep in mind most of your EV charging will be done at home and you'll never need to use the fast chargers unless your daily needs exceed the Taycan's range…

here is the plugshare fast charging situation in and around the Dallas area - you should be good with the existing 50-150 kW fast chargers and EA's build out will only make things better over time.

make sure to check the box for Taycan's optional 150 kW 400 volt fast DC charging option - it's going to bear the brunt of fast charging for the foreseeable future while EA builds out their 800v network.

https://www.plugshare.com

The following 3 users liked this post by daveo4porsche:
MM3.9GT3 (09-25-2019), Needsdecaf (09-25-2019), Toby Pennycuff (09-25-2019)
Old 09-25-2019, 03:25 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Good catch Dave. I already had my eye on the on-board charger. Now, I just need for Porsche to "announce" the 4S (likely the worst kept secret around! Only guess is what date this version of the Taycan will make its debut!). Thanks for the pointer to plugshare!

Toby
The following users liked this post:
daveo4porsche (09-25-2019)
Old 09-25-2019, 03:46 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

OK, I know I've seen this data somewhere in the past, but...…..

What charging ports are installed on the Taycan? Is the DC system on the passenger side a CCS/SAE connection (in plugshare parlance)? Is the driver's side a J1772 connection? I just checked Porsche.com and could not find a specific reference to the types of external plugs installed on the Taycan.

Toby
Old 09-25-2019, 03:49 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

j-1772 both sides for L1/L2 charging
ccs passenger side only for fast charging
Old 09-25-2019, 03:59 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Got it. Thanks Dave!

If you ask me about MFI motors, I can probably answer most of your questions! Ask me about a BEV...…. nada!
daveo4porsche (09-25-2019)
Old 09-25-2019, 05:37 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

CCS plugs are actually a J-1772 plug with two additional high voltage DC pins/connectors added below the AC J-1772 - the CCS plugs has both the AC/DC elements and therefore a CCS plug on a vehicle is also it's J-1772 plug - the DC side of the equate reuses the the "pilot" low voltage pins from the J-1772 portion to control the DC charging session - J-1772 was designed to be power-dead when not plugged in - Fast DC and J-1772 chargers all wait patiently for a correct "signal" over the low voltage "pilot" pins before electrifying the high voltage AC/DC connectors - that way power stops when you unplug - and if you drop the connect into a puddle it's not electrified...

most cars have only one J-1772/Fast DC connector - the Leaf has two separate one's it uses a variation of Fast DC called Chademo which is a complete separate connector - so Leaf's in North America have. J-1772 connector, and. separate Chademo connection for fast charging...

Europe has the CCS 2.0 standard and it's a combined circular connector, and works for both AC and DC charging - all EV's in Europe have these connectors.

Tesla's DC supercharger connector is the same as their AC connection - it has 5 electrical connections - and is simpler in design/size - two. connectors for power, two connectors for "pilot pins" - 5th connector for ground - when using L1/L2 charging the two "power" connectors are AC power, when supercharging the two "power connectors" are high voltage DC - same pins/connectors different purpose - Tesla's come with a J-1772 adapter for using public L2 chargers, and they sell a $450 chademo adapter, in Europe Model 3's ship with the European CCS connector on the car and Tesla is retrofitting European superchargers to have both types of cables (one active at a time).

https://greentransportation.info/ev-...arger-etc.html

https://www.sundaev.com/charging-pil...rger-pile.html - in the picture below the bottom left connector is North America CCS connector - 2nd column is Europe.

I would expect the Taycan to have JUST the upper portion J-1772 on the driver's side and have the 7-pin/connector J-1772 + Fast DC charging pins on the passenger side.

According to @stout Porsche wants drivers to have flexibility in their garages for L2 charging the Taycan - but only has the high-voltage DC connector on the passenger side.
freqflyer (09-25-2019)
Old 09-25-2019, 06:02 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Default Taycan Plugshare plug-type filter settings…

www.plugshare.com

these are the plugshare charger type "filter" settings for all chargers (L1/L2/FastDC) chargers that should be compatible with the Taycan for those new to the BEV world - green checkboxes are the types of plugs the Taycan should be able to use.

in the resulting Plug-share map - "green" chargers are slower L1/L2 chargers - the vast majority are 208 volt 30 amp chargers (6 kW) - but some are slower/faster - orange are DC "fast" chargers from 10 kW to 350 kW…plug share also has data about each charger and it's kW rate, charging network affiliate, and recent checkins so you know it's actually working - and a reliability rating (10 being best) so you can kinda plan your trip as to if it's working.

for the most part I only use Plug share to find "fast" chargers - but sometimes when planning a trip I use the "green" chargers to help select a hotel with L2 overnight charging.

NOTE: use of L2 AC Tesla Chargers (checked below) - (destination chargers) requires the purchase of a $200 JDapter https://shop.quickchargepower.com/JD...r-JDPTRSTB.htm - THIS HAS NOT YET BEEN TESTED WITH AN ACTUAL TAYCAN - but it should work - I'll report when I can. why would you want this, well Tesla has many many "destination" chargers they have provided to various businesses, hotel, restaurants, wineries and what not, and having this adapter in your car simply offers you to the opportunity to use a Tesla L2 charger if you happen to come across one - there are a lot of them once you start looking - use of the Tesla Destination chargers are at the discretion of the business owner (not Tesla) and do not require a billing arrangement with Tesla - it's all between you and business owner - typically my experience has been "free" to customers with no additional charge - it's a highly recommended piece of "kit" for any serious EV road warrior as it simply multiplies your L2 charging options. There are thousands of destination chargers across North America, many of them 80 amps (more than enough to charge the Taycan at 40 amps). The JDApter does NOT make your Taycan compatible with the Tesla Supercharger network - sorry - AC L1/L2 charging only 20-80 amps using a Tesla Mobile charger or Wall Charger. I have one of these in each of my 2 Bolts (kids cars) and they have been quite useful more than once for charging the Bolts while traveling or simply opportunistically charging while out and about. I also have one at my home for my EV friends who own none Tesla's - in that they can use my home chargers when visiting - I've charged, leaf's, volts, Mercedes, Rav4's, Kia's, motorcycles, and what not with this adapter - it should work with _ANY_ J-1772 based vehicle, but I've learned not to promise, but to try.

when searching Plugshare the full list of chargers in a given area for the Taycan is listed below (if you don't want/plan to buy a JDapter simply uncheck the Tesla connector). This will give you a full picture off all your charging options in a given area and is great for planning longer duration trips. Porsche also sells a number of cord adapters for the included mobile charger that comes with the Taycan for alternative 50 amp plugs, and 30 amp plugs that will multiply your charging options for various types of simple electrical plugs you might encounter.

use the "wall" plug is NOT recommended but it will charge an EV at 1.44 kw - fully charging an empty Taycan from 0 to 93.4 kWh would take 65 or more hours - but it's good for about 8-10 kWh overnight at a hotel with no other option - which would be about 30 miles of driving range for an overnight stay. It's a good trickle charge for overnight and keeps the car from losing power on cold overnight stays - really really good for pre-conditioning the car in a hot and cold parking lot by remotely turning on climate control from your Taycan phone app. The wall plug is included for completeness not as a recommendation.

W8MM (09-26-2019)
Old 09-25-2019, 06:22 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

the iPad app for plugshare (or android phones and tablets) is also a EV road warrior necessity

I have the following apps on my phone/tablet
  • Car app (what ever vendor you've purchased)
  • plugshare
  • chargepoint
  • EVGo
  • ElectrifyAmerica
  • Blnk
for the western US these are the EV charging app I've used (listed in order of frequency) - having the app's setup and configured also allows you to active a charging session on your phone/tablet once parked and plugged in - and is typically faster and easier than dealing with the charging stations user interface and weather worn controls and very dicy and typically dysfunctional credit card reader

scenario
  1. find charger w/plugshare
  2. drive to charger
  3. launch charging network app
  4. "active" charging with app for station your using
  5. walk away from car having started the charging session with minimal fuss\

most of the charging network are working on "plug and pay" - just plug in and your car identifies your account and you start charging - some have this working, others don't, but it's coming - for now my preferred way is charges session activation via app and walk away.
The following 2 users liked this post by daveo4porsche:
MM3.9GT3 (09-25-2019), W8MM (09-26-2019)
Old 09-25-2019, 09:16 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Dave, thank you!!! This is GREAT information. I hope that others will recognize your contributions here and express their appreciation as well. Good work sir!
The following 2 users liked this post by Toby Pennycuff:
daveo4porsche (09-25-2019), W8MM (09-26-2019)

Quick Reply: ElectrifyAmerica in Texas - Bueller?? Bueller??