Sponsored by:

Regen modes

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2019, 10:33 AM
WCE
User

Received 188 Likes on 91 Posts
Lightbulb Regen modes

I think Porsche missed an opportunity to give Taycan drivers some added level of driver involvement by not including paddles to adjust regen ala General Motors!
This allows increasing or decreasing regen with up/down paddles giving a downshifting or upshifting effect while coasting.
It appears the options are No (coasting), Yes (full regen, mainly one pedal driving) or Auto (car somehow figures out how much to apply - sounds like trouble!).
Maybe even pipe in some synthesized throttle blips in sport mode
Old 09-27-2019, 11:24 AM
whiz944
Burning Brakes

Received 424 Likes on 288 Posts

GMs plugins (Volt, Bolt EV, ELR, etc) have two drive modes - "D" and "L". In "D" you get a modest amount of regen when lifting the go pedal. The remainder, up to -60 or -70 kW, is via the blended brake pedal. It is implemented to feel like a normal ICE car with an automatic transmission. In "L", more regen is dialed in when lifting and again the remainder is via the blended brake pedal. Makes it feel a bit more like a manual transmission car with some engine braking. The Bolt EV is noteworthy in that in "L" mode, it can come to a complete stop without touching the brake pedal. (Not sure if they reverse the magnetic field in the motor or just use the friction brakes to do it.) The other cars you have to press the brake pedal when regen runs out to come to a complete stop.

The Cadillac ELR introduced the steering wheel Regen on Demand (RoD) paddle. The Gen 2 Volt and the Bolt EV also have it. After you've lifted your foot off the go pedal, pulling the paddle adds in extra regen without having to move your foot over to the brake pedal. It is kinda like an electronic version of downshifting a manual transmission car when slowing down to get extra engine braking. You can't modulate the effects of the paddle though. It adds in extra regen in a fixed amount. I like it a lot. When combined with "L" mode, one rarely has to use the brake pedal - except to come to a complete stop. But you do have to learn its effect in order to drive smoothly while using it. Inexpertly used, it can throw your passengers around a bit - so a lot of folks don't bother to use it.

It sounds like the Porsche "Yes" mode is much like the GM "D" mode. Only a modest amount of regen on lift, the remainder via the brake pedal. The "Auto" sounds like some subset of the adaptive cruise control - where the car basically makes sure it doesn't run into the car in front of you.

One thing mentioned about the Taycan was regen of up to -265 kW max - which is quite impressive compared to the typical -60 or -70 kW max of the GM cars. (Tesla is somewhere around there too.) Though it is important to realize that you'd only see such regen rates in high speed/heavy braking situations. In my Volt a typical situation where I might see the full -60 kW would be on the freeway, when rapidly braking on an exit ramp. With "L" + paddle, I might see -60 kW for a second or two. In around town stop and go driving, where regen really can add significant range, you never see those sorts of regen levels.

I should add that historically back in the 1990s, GM had all this regen and blended braking pedal figured out in the EV-1. They also had a button on the side of the shifter to turn off regen for coasting. Not sure why their current cars don't have a coast button. But I suspect it is because the EV-1 used an induction motor - like Tesla has until recently. One can turn off the power to the windings in the motor without problem, whereas with a Permanent Magnet motor some power needs to always be applied or else certain magnetic problems would occur. (In the Volt, if one shifts to "N" while the car is in motion to coast, about 1 kW is still being sent to the motor.) With the Porsche "Off" setting, maybe they just de-clutch the motors when no power is needed?

Last edited by whiz944; 09-27-2019 at 11:53 AM.
The following users liked this post:
daveo4porsche (09-27-2019)

Quick Reply: Regen modes