Taycan pics

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2019, 05:11 PM
GreggT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by whiz944
It really shows a lack of clue to run a separate 12V battery tender. They should just plug in the normal charge cord.
Thanks for the explaino whiz, learned something........but, 'lack of clue' at a dealership.....how is that possible .
Old 12-23-2019, 05:38 PM
whiz944
Burning Brakes

Received 424 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by GreggT
Thanks for the explaino whiz, learned something........but, 'lack of clue' at a dealership.....how is that possible .
Running a battery tender like that just invites questions/concerns from prospects that are completely irrelevent. Maybe they just don't want to take the 'official' charge cord out of its hermetically sealed plastic baggie? If so, they should just find a spare J1772 charge cord that is laying around from a E-hybrid and use that. Then they can actually demonstrate something that IS relevant - how it takes like two seconds to plug or unplug the charge cable. And even demo the motorized charge port door - if so equipped.
The following users liked this post:
Needsdecaf (12-23-2019)
Old 12-29-2019, 06:15 PM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

Received 229 Likes on 158 Posts

Saw my first Taycan (a Turbo S, selling for $205k) in person today at Burlington Porsche (Herb Chambers). Very impressive. A few pics:

The instrument screen is very impressive.

Neat how the "tail lights" image comes on when you power the car off.

View of the trunk with the right rear seat partially down ... seems like a decent amount of space with the rear seats down.

The following 2 users liked this post by cometguy:
Der-Schwabe (01-04-2020), Wilsontour (12-29-2019)
Old 12-29-2019, 07:22 PM
Cpoarchy
Racer

Received 93 Likes on 54 Posts

Great pics, love the red interior, what did you think?
Old 12-29-2019, 09:48 PM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

Received 229 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Cpoarchy
Great pics, love the red interior, what did you think?
I was very impressed with the appearance, inside and out. Best-looking Porsche in the line-up now, in my view. Love the instrument panel -- best I've ever seen. I was impressed with the 18-way seats (I have had 14-way seats on my three Porsches, but think I might consider 18-way after sitting in these); they have much more vertical latitude than do my 14-way seats (Panamera, Macan). The large hood/fender "humps" over/behind the headlights are very cool from the exterior and are unique to the Taycan; I hadn't noticed them as much in photos/videos prior to today, but they stand out in person, and they are very prominent from the driver seat in a notably different way than the hood features are in the Panamera.

I was also impressed with the luggage space, and note that the back seats can be put down for a lot more space; even though it's some 4 inches shorter than a Panamera, the cargo space looks very similar to that in my Panameras. I put the air suspension to highest level (see photo below), but the ground-clearance level seems lower than on my Panameras at their highest levels, by perhaps an inch -- though I didn't actually measure. I'll be waiting for the Cross Turismo version (probably 4S) for presumably more cargo space, a better rear-view back window, and better ground clearance.

I tried opening the left (driver-side) charging port, but it wouldn't open by sliding my finger under the ridge on the right, and pushing didn't do anything either; it was charging using the right-side port, so that may be why. I also tried opening the frunk with the key; it unlocked but I couldn't find the latch to get it to open all the way up, and I gave up after about 20 seconds of trying (the sales rep had left me alone to explore at my leisure, so he wasn't around to ask questions, but that's ok; these were unimportant issues for me today). I played some with the infotainment screen and instrument screen -- but mainly enough just to see that there are lots of differences between these screens and my 2018 and 2019 new-gen Porsche screens.

One thing that I don't want is the glass roof; this Turbo S had it, and it was very dirty (as is usual for all glass roofs), plus it's not very useful for front-seat passengers -- and will likely have solar glare from the roof shining on the instrument panels in the front. (I'm very interested in the glass roof of the Polestar 2, as it apparently has electrochromic "smart" glass that can dim considerably if not totally in full sunlight -- by how much, I don't know).

My sales rep didn't offer a test drive today (I'm sure he would have let me if I'd asked) but that's ok because I didn't have much time, and he knows I'm waiting for the 4S at nearly half the price of this Turbo S; he says they should be getting them in April, and I will be eager to test-drive one of those. I mainly wanted to see any Taycan in person, as this was my first chance to do so. This is the same dealership that sold the first-ever USA Taycan, last week, from what I've heard.

photo showing ground clearance with air suspension set at highest level...

Last edited by cometguy; 12-30-2019 at 06:43 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by cometguy:
AlexCeres (12-30-2019), Garydose (01-04-2020)
Old 12-30-2019, 12:31 AM
Cpoarchy
Racer

Great review, thanks for your insight, can't wait to see this thing in person, if that was the high setting, can't wait to see the low setting,
Old 12-30-2019, 08:16 AM
svp6
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by cometguy
One thing that I don't want is the glass roof; this Turbo S had it, and it was very dirty (as is usual for all glass roofs), plus it's not very useful for front-seat passengers -- and will likely have solar glare from the roof shining on the instrument panels in the front. (I'm very interested in the glass roof of the Polestar 2, as it apparently has electrochromic "smart" glass that can dim considerably if not totally in full sunlight -- by how much, I don't know).
For what it's worth, I don't have glare problems on my model 3 - and the screen is much larger. I also find the interior to be too dark in cars without a sunroof - I don't thin this will be an option with the metal roof. Perhaps if you do a metal roof with a light color interior that is different.
Old 12-30-2019, 02:14 PM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Originally Posted by svp6
For what it's worth, I don't have glare problems on my model 3 - and the screen is much larger. I also find the interior to be too dark in cars without a sunroof - I don't thin this will be an option with the metal roof. Perhaps if you do a metal roof with a light color interior that is different.
I didn’t have any glare problems during my test drive and the instruments cluster remained clearly visible. The taycan roof is tinted more than I would have guessed. I personally really loved the glass roof. fwiw, I’m a big fan of it in the 911 too, so ymmv.
Old 12-31-2019, 03:07 PM
Cpoarchy
Racer

Default Happy new year

View this post on Instagram
Old 01-03-2020, 06:11 PM
Cpoarchy
Racer

Default Sport design

Has anyone seen or driven a taycan with the sport design front end? Thoughts?

View this post on Instagram
Old 01-03-2020, 06:23 PM
Bob Roberts
Racer

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Cpoarchy
Has anyone seen or driven a taycan with the sport design front end? Thoughts?
are there side by side comparisons with the sports design front end and normal? I really don’t get the difference.
Old 01-03-2020, 07:25 PM
bgatxy1
3rd Gear

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Roberts
are there side by side comparisons with the sports design front end and normal? I really don’t get the difference.
Here are a few

The following users liked this post:
Bob Roberts (01-04-2020)
Old 01-03-2020, 07:42 PM
Bob Roberts
Racer

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by bgatxy1
Here are a few
thanks! Really appreciate it.

so it is only the part by the headlights and “teardrop” or am I missing something else?
Old 01-03-2020, 09:03 PM
bgatxy1
3rd Gear

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Roberts
thanks! Really appreciate it.

so it is only the part by the headlights and “teardrop” or am I missing something else?
The intake vent size/shape is the biggest difference. The sport version has pronounced sharper line where bumper tucks back to meet intake, the front bumper tucks in on both sides sooner than the non sport.
It also extends out front and down into teardrop (side view).
Non sport version has 2 lines vs 1 at bottom of sport

The following 2 users liked this post by bgatxy1:
Bob Roberts (01-04-2020), Cpoarchy (01-03-2020)
Old 01-03-2020, 11:48 PM
Cpoarchy
Racer

Just curious, hadn’t seen anyone order the sport design or heard if the design made a difference, or just cosmetic. Some pictures looks cool others not so much

Quick Reply: Taycan pics