Sponsored by:

Test drove a Tesla Model X performance

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2019, 07:35 PM
Lapis
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Test drove a Tesla Model X performance

Visited local Tesla showroom today after all this hand wringing following the Taycan launch and took a 30 min test drive alone (nice of them) in a Tesla Model X performance. I suppose it wouldn’t have even occurred to me to do so if I hadn’t been interested in a Taycan, so who knows, maybe the Taycan will actually help Tesla by causing more of us to shop the competition. Anyway....

The Model X was blue with the white and black interior with carbon fiber trim. 20” wheels (not optional 22”). 7-seat version, although I’d get the 5-seat model as I don’t need the 3rd row and would appreciate the extra underfloor cargo space. Overall, the interior looks fantastic and feels very high quality.

Seats are a bit narrow and despite decent adjustments, they just aren’t as comfortable as seats in a typical Porsche Panamera, Cayenne, Macan, or presumably, Taycan. Not enough side bolstering and just too narrow overall.

Steering wheel was nice, fat and soft leather kind of like a BMW M steering wheel. No complaints there.

Plenty of interior room and lots of light and visibility due to huge front windshield that extends over front driver and passenger. Although it’s tinted above your head, the noon sun was still glaring and that would annoy me.

Performance was very quick, smooth and serene. Impressive. Handling-wise, with the adaptive suspension in sport mode (sport or normal settings) it was decent though not as good in corners as my former Cayenne Turbo. You can certainly feel the heavy weight in corners. And Although firm, suspension was neither as compliant over broken pavement or as flat in corners as Cayenne is in its PASM Sport mode. Also not as good as Audi E Tron SUV suspension IMO.

Steering in Sport (heaviest) mode was about right, but still pretty light. Should be tighter with fewer turns lock to lock though.

Brakes seemed just poor. First, even with recuperative breaking set to LOW (can’t turn it off), the car would slow annoyingly when you lift off accelerator pedal too much. I definitely would prefer Porsche’s default coast mode. And when I had to lean on the brakes when someone suddenly stopped in front of me in traffic the brakes felt awkward and not ready to stop as confidently and as smoothly as what I am accustomed to on heavy Porches and Audi’s I have owned (Cayenne Turbo, RS7, Panamera Turbo).

Stereo doesn’t sound as good as Bang and Olufsen system in Audi eTron or RS7, nor as good as Burmester in Porsche. Decent bass but muddy. Not crystalline.

The big center screen is impressive, but lack of Apple CarPlay annoying and lack of any dedicated controls (even if on a screen like in Taycan and new Porsche Audi cars) for certain functions is annoying. Don’t want to have to navigate menus to access heating and cooling controls, volume, etc., basic vehicle setup changes. This is really just cost engineering to avoid the design and engineering and production cost of dedicated controls, IMO.

The falcon doors are a party trick. I don’t like them. Too fussy to worry about. Scary actually. Seems like you could crush a finger in them too easy.

There is tons of room in back seat seat and cargo, which is great. Lots more room under rear floor and a decent frunk up front that’s could hold many small grocery bags more.

Coming away from it, I’m not sold but think Tesla has a pretty good car and a decent value proposition with Model X. It’s not really a direct Taycan competitor, of course. Model S is. But Model S is older. I think if I were to go with Tesla it would be for the additional utility of what Model X offers, and it would be as an alternative really to Audi E Tron suv.

In terms of that comparison, Model X is about $25K more expensive than E Tron, but offers faster performance, longer range, more cargo room and passenger room (if you want a 3rd row), more distinctive styling. Where Audi E Tron beats Model X (and I had an E Tron for 2 days recently) is ergonomics, apparent interior quality, seat comfort, sound system, and being more “normal”.
The following 2 users liked this post by Lapis:
daveo4porsche (09-20-2019), Needsdecaf (09-06-2019)
Old 09-06-2019, 07:40 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,968 Likes on 1,926 Posts

excellent review - customer who purchase tend to become more favorable over time - lack of CarPlay is a problem - but Tesla software is excellent....I agree with your pro's and con's vs. Audi but you missed one major point - Tesla's extensive, functional and non-vapor ware fast charging network - it works and works really really well...other than that you did a pretty fair assessment - I prefer the X over the Audi offering, but I believe Tesla is in the mix and personal bias will win over rational comparisons, both cars are good, I personally feel the X is better value but understand some might disagree.

over time you also get accostomed to "one peddle" driving - you can coast in a Tesla , you just learn to feather the accelerator rather than getting completely "off" of it. the brakes on the X are horrible no good really really bad not up the task - good thing the Regen is so good that you never really need to use them.
Old 09-06-2019, 08:13 PM
Lapis
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche
excellent review - customer who purchase tend to become more favorable over time - lack of CarPlay is a problem - but Tesla software is excellent....I agree with your pro's and con's vs. Audi but you missed one major point - Tesla's extensive, functional and non-vapor ware fast charging network - it works and works really really well...other than that you did a pretty fair assessment - I prefer the X over the Audi offering, but I believe Tesla is in the mix and personal bias will win over rational comparisons, both cars are good, I personally feel the X is better value but understand some might disagree.

over time you also get accostomed to "one peddle" driving - you can coast in a Tesla , you just learn to feather the accelerator rather than getting completely "off" of it. the brakes on the X are horrible no good really really bad not up the task - good thing the Regen is so good that you never really need to use them.
Fair points. Although Tesla does have the greater range and the charging network, like I said to the salesperson before I even left for test drive, I really don’t care about either. I live in Columbus OH, drive locally, and don’t plan on doing road trips in my EV. I’d be unlikely to use more than 30% of total charge per day even if I drive a lot (for me) on a given day, so even a home charger is enough. I suspect that’s true for a majority of prospective EV buyers actually despite the hay Tesla proponents like to make of that point (and the range anxiety so many express about EVs in general). Seriously, my gas car has a range of maybe 325 miles per full tank, less if driven aggressively. And I don’t need to go the gas station every day. Maybe once every 4-5 days on average.

As for the “you’ll get used to it” comeback on Tesla’s brake feel and infotainment system, seriously, screw that. I like what I like and don’t want to be told by a company trying to sell me something that I should just “get used to it” the way they do it if the way do it sucks. And it does....

There is no good reason I can think of why Tesla shouldn’t be able to just issue an over the air update 3 years ago to have a “coast” mode on the regenerative braking setting. The car would still recoup energy under braking just the same. And everyone would be happy to set it the way they like it.

Likewise, while a big screen with Google maps is nice, the same big screen with Google maps running via CarPlay (or my choice of Apple Maps or Waze) and everything else Apple CarPlay does, would be much better still. And it’s all just software and a trivial cost for Tesla to implement. Hell, I just picked up a used 2017 VW GTI and even it has Apple CarPlay (and better sounding stereo—Fender—no kidding, than Tesla Model X Performance at over $100K. No excuse for those ones, Tesla!

Good brakes are expensive to do well. Porsche’s PCCB or PSCB brakes, which Taycan Turbo S and Turbo come with, easily justify at least $10K of price difference alone between any Tesla and any Porsche.

Great suspension is also expensive to do as well as Porsche. It’s not just a software update or preference.
Old 09-06-2019, 08:16 PM
Adk46
Rennlist Member

Received 318 Likes on 166 Posts

I have not driven a Model X, so thanks for your write-up. I'll just quibble in one area:

My wife and I adapted very quickly to the one-pedal approach of Tesla. In fact, I now find it annoying in my other cars that I can't control my speed so easily. Randy Probst seems to like it, too, in videos I've seen of him on a track.

I think Porsche has made a mistake not making regeneration part of the go pedal, at least as an option. The Tesla brake pedal is a traditional system - fluid is pumped to brake calipers. The Porsche brake pedal is a complex hybrid system. In the Tesla, all braking is regenerative until you touch the brake pedal - you know when you've wasted energy to friction. There is no downside that I can see, after you get used to it.

At 67, apparently neither of us is too old!
The following 2 users liked this post by Adk46:
Needsdecaf (09-06-2019), RonF (09-10-2019)
Old 09-06-2019, 09:12 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,619 Likes on 1,627 Posts

Great review, thanks for writing. I tend to agree with all your points. I’m not as charitable as Dave over the lack of Car Play and think Tesla’s infotainment is only fair.

I love one pedal driving as well. Once you are used to it, it’s awesome that you can control 90% of your driving without moving your foot off the pedal. It does feel really weird at first. It’s an ultra precise way of driving.
Old 09-06-2019, 10:24 PM
SpeedyD
Burning Brakes

Received 172 Likes on 117 Posts

Interesting review - spent some time in a model x recently and was massively underwhelmed by lack of quality, luxury and practicality given price point... really dont get how anyone selects this over other offerings out there.
The following users liked this post:
pokingaround (09-10-2019)
Old 09-07-2019, 01:53 AM
westwest888
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 32 Posts

I’ve never wanted CarPlay in my Tesla. If I need to use my phone, I just turn on autopilot and use it. It’s very easy to stream SiriusXM from the phone to the car; it even shows the cover art and song name. Resumes playing when you resume driving after a stop.
Old 09-07-2019, 10:24 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,257 Likes on 613 Posts

I test-drove the Model X twice and really wanted to like it but both times it did not do it for me.

The first time it was P90D L or something like that - top of the line when it was launched. It started poorly by hitting me on the head with a falcon door. The car was in a garage with some pipes low above it. The door got all the way to the pipe and stopped, and the rep made a comment that the system is so good it sees even thin pipes and maneuvers the doors to open even with low obstacles. But as I was getting in, the door repositioned itself lower and I hit it with my forehead. I'm sure it's an easy software fix though, so I would be surprised if that still happens. Then was the drive. The noise was unpleasant - lots of road noise and whistling air. The immediate torque was amazing. Turning was unpleasant and not confidence inspiring - felt almost like doing something you are not supposed to. My wife commented that when she turned the steering wheel, the car learned instead of turning and then turned after a delay. My wife is not an aggressive driver. Finally, when she had to slow down rapidly to avoid running a red light, all the crap from the trunk flew forward through the gap between the captain seats (the third row was lowered). I asked if there was a way to block that gap, and the rep said there was not. We also realized there was no way to install a ski rack on the roof (not a must but a plus) so we dropped the idea of model X.

The second time I got to drive a friend's brand new Model X, also top edition (100 or something) but without Ludicrous mode. I liked the handling much better - Tesla definitely improved it since the launch. Still not nearly as good as Cayanne but noticeably better than Dodge Caravan rental I drove recently. But at highway speeds noise was still MUCH louder than in my Cayenne and rather unpleasant. The owner showed me some uneven gaps and stitching defects on the seats, but all that was not a big deal, in my opinion. What pissed me off was how dishonest the throttle mapping was. At highway speed, when you push the throttle 1/3 of the way in and the car jumps forward like a rocket sled - great, feels very powerful even coming from a ~700HP 911 Turbo. But when you push the throttle the rest of the way, almost nothing changes. Basically, the car gave all it had when you barely touched the throttle. This very aggressive throttle mapping gives a feeling that the car is way more powerful than it is when you are driving it at 2/10, but when you try to get more power, there is very little left there. That's just cheating in my book, and it left a bad taste in my mouth. And it's totally unnecessary because the car is faster than most people will ever need without such cheap tricks. Of course, most owners never drive beyond 2/10 and are deluded into thinking that there is much more power than there really is. In general, the current X felt like something I could tolerate if I had to but not really enjoy.

Anyway, I'm just spoiled but have a lot of respect for Tesla, and even more now after Taycan launch. What they are doing is insanely hard.
Old 09-07-2019, 10:45 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,619 Likes on 1,627 Posts

Interesting. I’ve not driven a Model X so can’t ccomment. But I will say that soes not happen on my Model 3. I have timed 70-90 in 2.4 sec. Plenty fast.

With th only one gear, you do lose acceleration at speeds above 100. Nature of all EV’s....except the Taycan.
Old 09-08-2019, 03:22 AM
BobMort
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lapis
Performance was very quick, smooth and serene. Impressive. Handling-wise, with the adaptive suspension in sport mode (sport or normal settings) it was decent though not as good in corners as my former Cayenne Turbo. You can certainly feel the heavy weight in corners. And Although firm, suspension was neither as compliant over broken pavement or as flat in corners as Cayenne is in its PASM Sport mode. Also not as good as Audi E Tron SUV suspension IMO.
Go back and drive a Model S P100D. I own an older 90D and every time I've had a Model X loaner it's felt top-heavy and sluggish. The S is a much nicer car to drive - quicker, more nimble, handles better.

Brakes seemed just poor. First, even with recuperative breaking set to LOW (can’t turn it off), the car would slow annoyingly when you lift off accelerator pedal too much. I definitely would prefer Porsche’s default coast mode. And when I had to lean on the brakes when someone suddenly stopped in front of me in traffic the brakes felt awkward and not ready to stop as confidently and as smoothly as what I am accustomed to on heavy Porches and Audi’s I have owned (Cayenne Turbo, RS7, Panamera Turbo).
Took me a day or so to get used to the regenerative braking. I personally am disappointed that the Taycan coasts, I've come to really appreciate the ergonomics of one pedal driving. I also don't really identify with your comments on the brakes, mine are just fine - and I do plenty of spirited driving, I live in Wales where we have fabulous twisty mountain roads.

There is tons of room in back seat seat and cargo, which is great. Lots more room under rear floor and a decent frunk up front that’s could hold many small grocery bags more.
Again, try the S. Massive trunk and frunk. I came to my S from a Cayenne and find the Tesla just as practical and with the seats down the load space is if anything bigger than the Cayenne.
Old 09-08-2019, 10:48 PM
Lapis
Burning Brakes

Respectfully, please stop telling me I’ll get used to the intrusive regenerative braking on throttle lift off and that I should/will actually like it.

If you want to say that YOU actually like it, fine. Just don’t tell me what I like. I know what I like. And I don’t like that.

The Tesla salesperson has the same attitude toward everything I didn’t like.... you’ll get used to it, or it’s actually better (than having Apple CarPlay, for example).

I suppose this is what it really comes down to between Tesla and other car manufacturers, especially between Tesla and Porsche: Porsche is focused on the DRIVER and what he wants; Tesla is focused on the having the car do the driving for you, so what does it matter what the driver—er, passenger—wants?
Old 09-09-2019, 03:18 AM
whiz944
Burning Brakes

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

We have CarPlay (and Android Auto) in our Volt. Frankly I don't miss it in our TM3. Though in the Tesla, I almost always have the phone in the dock. And often it is running waze in parallel with the Tesla navigation. (Gotta keep my wazer point totals going.)

Sorry - but regenerative braking on the GO pedal rocks. To me it is similar to driving a manual transmission ICE car in a lower gear with engine braking - and no RPM limit when accelerating.
Old 09-09-2019, 09:24 AM
martinced
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Overall, the interior looks fantastic and feels very high quality.
I believe the rest you wrote but I'd like to have what you're smoking if you believe the interior feels of "very high quality". It is, to me, pure and utter junk. Plain crap.

SpeedyD said it in a much more politically correct manner. To me the interior "quality" you get in a Model S or X for the given price point is a sad joke. 75 K for a base Model S. 45 K USD for, say, a CPO'ed 2015 Panamera GTS. As a user of a Porsche forum I know which one I'm picking as my daily. It is day and night. There's no comparison possible.

Have you ever driven a Panamera? A Bentley Continental GT? Heck: just sit in one. To me that is very high quality. And, well, it certainly looks like the Taycan is going after Panamera-level of interior quality.

The Tesla fanbois and Elon Musk distortion field is strong on Rennlist. The pro-Tesla trolling is constant and never ending (which is weird for a Porsche forum).

I'm sorry but you honestly don't know a thing about interior quality if you believe the S, the 3 or the X's interior is of "very high quality" (doubly so in a sub-forum dedicated to the Taycan, which seems to be going for Panamera-like interior quality).

The craziest thing is: everytime I read comment like this I think "maybe I should go to the Tesla dealer again to be sure I'm not mad". But I did it a few weeks ago and both Mrs and I have to be mad. Really: you Tesla fanbois are pushing so hard this "interior quality" non-sense that I begin to think I'm "seeing things".

I'm that close to take my daily-driven Panamera and go see Tesla once more but I fear the words that'd come out of my mouth when I'd come back home.
Old 09-09-2019, 01:49 PM
Adk46
Rennlist Member

Received 318 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by martinced
.... [Tesla interior] is, to me, pure and utter junk. Plain crap.
The Tesla fanbois and Elon Musk distortion field is strong on Rennlist. The pro-Tesla trolling is constant and never ending (which is weird for a Porsche forum).
I'm that close to take my daily-driven Panamera and go see Tesla once more but I fear the words that'd come out of my mouth when I'd come back home.
I wonder if your objection is influenced by the minimalist style of Tesla design. There could hardly be more contrast between, say, my Macan and my Model 3 in terms of style. The designer of the latter undoubtedly thinks the Macan's interior is way too busy, even gaudy, old fashioned. To a casual observer, the Macan interior is that of a premium car, sure, but new Kia's look this way now, so I'm not sure it will age well. Style can go only one way now, having reached peak busy-ness, unless we want our interiors to be like Paganis. Styles must change, it seems, so they will head back to simpler times, towards minimalism. Has the Model 3 gone too far too fast? I'm not sure, but I'm open to it.

This forum naturally includes opinions by those who have owned what are (maybe were) the best EVs. They face a degree of hostility from some people (check out the "Is Tesla in trouble?" to see it in spades). Like in my paragraph above, they defend their cars and their choice of cars, as well as offer the benefit of their experience on a subject that's new to many people. They may occasionally overreact to the hostility. I'm trying not to, but gosh - this "fanbois" stuff, "pro-Tesla trolling" and other gratuitous insults is going way too far in what should be a friendly, open forum to discuss a significant topic.

Perhaps I'll say here that the negative reactions of Porsche's own "fanbois" (it's OK here!) towards the Taycan seems a bit premature. Let things settle down, at least to the point where you can order one without the traditional larceny of the Turbo models. Maybe wait a year for teething pains to be fixed. It's all very new.
The following users liked this post:
4pipes (09-09-2019)
Old 09-09-2019, 03:08 PM
Lapis
Burning Brakes

I’m the OP and the one who said I thought the Model X that I test drove have good interior quality. I’m certainly no Tesla fanboy as my original post and subsequent replies should show.

Perhaps my statement should be rephrased. I think the interior has attractive design. The one I drove had the white leather with black carpets and black and matte carbon fiber trim. It looked very nice, IMO, and everything felt solid. I’ve always been a sucker for interiors with nice contrast and light color leather seats.

Quality is something that would probably take much longer than my short test drive to conclude because it has to do with durability and day to day fell and livability. Certainly Porsche has very high quality interiors in its modern cars. I’ve owned several including a Panamera Turbo S, Cayenne Turbo, 911 GT3, Boxster Spyder, etc. I also have had Audi RS7’s. All are great.

Tesla isn’t up to Porsche/Audi levels of interior quality yet, but they’re getting better, at least in the Model X that I drove.

Quick Reply: Test drove a Tesla Model X performance