Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tesla existential threat?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2020 | 02:57 PM
whiz944
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by acoste
From looking through the article, Teslas - including every existing Model 3 and Y already on the road - should have no difficulty complying. Not sure if the most recent Model S and X have cabin cameras.

As an aside, last week Tesla installed the V3 computer into my Model 3. Took the mobile service tech about an hour to do the swap. It is pretty neat seeing it recognize traffic lights, stop signs, lane markings, as so on. Also got the OTA update a couple of days ago that puts side camera video on the screen when backing up, and optionally while driving. What fun! Haven't played much with the fully autonomous mode yet - though the little I have demonstrates it has a ways to go before Level 3 is a comfortable reality.

The most recent OTA update also optionally can activate the cabin camera for the first time. They claim they want to use clips from it for analysis in case of an accident - supposedly anonymously. I left the option turned off.
Old 06-30-2020 | 03:02 PM
acoste
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Dyefrog
Could you elaborate?
Automatic lane keeping limited to 60kph, and only on separated roads. So basically for traffic jam on highway only.

Needs black box (at least we will know more about the unintended accelerations)

On the positive side, looks like L3 will be approved with proper driver monitoring.
Old 06-30-2020 | 03:28 PM
Dyefrog
Racer

Automatic lane keeping limited to 60kph, and only on separated roads. So basically for traffic jam on highway only.

Needs black box (at least we will know more about the unintended accelerations)

On the positive side, looks like L3 will be approved with proper driver monitoring.
Are these Tesla specific requirements or to they apply to all manufacturers?
Old 06-30-2020 | 03:29 PM
acoste
Burning Brakes

Are these Tesla specific requirements or to they apply to all manufacturers?
Applies to everyone in those countries.
Old 06-30-2020 | 03:53 PM
Dyefrog
Racer

Applies to everyone in those countries.
Well then why did you single out,, oh, never mind. I didn't see who posted it.
Old 06-30-2020 | 03:57 PM
acoste
Burning Brakes

Well then why did you single out,, oh, never mind. I didn't see who posted it.
Because it affects them the most.
Old 06-30-2020 | 09:00 PM
Dyefrog
Racer

Because it affects them the most.
Why? You said it applies to everyone. Is autopilot the only autonomous system capable of exceeding 60kph?
Old 06-30-2020 | 09:07 PM
acoste
Burning Brakes

Why? You said it applies to everyone. Is autopilot the only autonomous system capable of exceeding 60kph?
Because it's a big part of their marketing strategy.
Old 07-10-2020 | 02:18 AM
acoste
Burning Brakes

Free car wash at home. Sorry S owners, rare to see it from this angle, had to share it

Old 07-10-2020 | 04:03 PM
CarMaven
Pro

You're Cruel My Friend!!....Just Cruel!....Such a Bad Boy, you!

Needless to say: You get the feeling. Many of the Tesla/Electric Car sites probably won't report this (unless it gets too much web coverage to ignore) till sometime mid next week; thereafter, or maybe never?

Meanwhile, if it was a Porsche Taycan involved. Going by recent experiences. They would somehow find a way to post it today, even.

Nonetheless, hope everyone is safe, and the Model S had comprehensive (which it should have as a 2018), and/or or proper home insurance?....Cool, to see the firefighters in the truck before hand. So, I guess, in a weird kinda way. They're Tesla Haters/Shorters to (with some eyes, anyway) for having the foresight to film it? LOL

Great weekend everyone!!
Old 07-10-2020 | 05:27 PM
whiz944
Burning Brakes

You act like ICE cars never catch on fire.

Back in the early 1980s, my mother had her Cadillac Eldorado turn into a car-b-que. Fortunately it was on the side of Interstate 80, and not in their garage. They bought the car new, and it was always dealer maintained. Dad said the fire was so hot there was basically nothing left of the car.

My 944 had a recall back when it was newish to replace part of the fuel injection due to possibility of leakage and fire. I had it done, but not all 944 owners did. A number went up in flames.

Meanwhile, TSLA is trading at over $1500/share today.
Old 07-11-2020 | 02:49 PM
Chris 911
Advanced

I used to be a great fan of Tesla, and truly admire the vision that Elon Musk has, and also what he has done to disrupt the car industry. However, the quality of the cars is so horrible that I will never buy one again, and I have lost faith in their ability to deliver Musks vision.

Bought a 2018 Model S 100D, which I had for a year. That specific model I believe was their 4th iteration of Model-S. We had so many faults on the car it was ridiculous, and ended up having Tesla buy the car back after a long fight. Upon delivery the right rear door wouldn’t open, the keys didn’t work, oil stains on the interior, frunk and panels were not aligned, and the frunk scraped. During our year of ownership all door handles needed changing, the suspension had a terrible rattle (which according to Tesla was supposed to be that way). Both mirrors needed chaning, the glass on the doors hit the frame due to not being pulled down upon opening. We had numerous software issues, and the so-called autonomous driving (back then, Elon claimed that they would drive coast to coast in the US by mid 2018, still hasn’t happened). I experienced twice that so called security features almost caused serious accidents.

the autonomous driving is not going to happen for at least another 10 years. Highway; yes, but not complex traffic. Imagine the car calculating for a kid playing next to the road with a ball, and then the ball goes into the street. A human would most likely see the kid and slow down, for the Tesla’s system, it’s just another pedestrian. There are too many variables to consider. So, it is just an advanced cruise control. You will not have a feature next year where your car can operate as a taxi when you are sleeping (as Elon claims).

I have a Panamera TSEH now, and super happy about the quality. My Taycan Turbo S is up for delivery in a couple of weeks, and after driving the Taycan Turbo on track and normal driving, the build quality and drive is on a completely different level! (which is also why it is more expensive &#128521
The following 5 users liked this post by Chris 911:
AlexCeres (07-16-2020), CarMaven (07-11-2020), marcnyc (07-24-2020), thebishman (07-11-2020), TopspeedPT (07-11-2020)
Old 07-14-2020 | 05:22 PM
acoste
Burning Brakes

“Another good example is the long-term durability evaluation of a car. When I discussed it with Elon, I told him our engineers’ calculations led to at least a million equivalent miles of driving required before launching the car — a six-month phase required to discover potential weaknesses and fix them. My request was actually very limited in regards to the industry practices: German manufacturers don’t release a car that has not clocked 10 million kilometers and two winters. Elon, in his customary laconic way, answered: “OK, do it. But we are not delaying the launch date for it… — But we might encounter issues that will require some modifications of the production models… — Yeah, I know, but we will make the changes afterward if we have to… — Even if it involves recalling some cars? — Yes. And for the rest, we will adjust by pushing some OTA upgrades (Tesla’s main software is maintained and upgraded remotely on a regular basis, just like a PC).”

https://electrek.co/2020/07/13/tesla...plains-issues/
Old 07-14-2020 | 05:36 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

“Another good example is the long-term durability evaluation of a car. When I discussed it with Elon, I told him our engineers’ calculations led to at least a million equivalent miles of driving required before launching the car — a six-month phase required to discover potential weaknesses and fix them. My request was actually very limited in regards to the industry practices: German manufacturers don’t release a car that has not clocked 10 million kilometers and two winters. Elon, in his customary laconic way, answered: “OK, do it. But we are not delaying the launch date for it… — But we might encounter issues that will require some modifications of the production models… — Yeah, I know, but we will make the changes afterward if we have to… — Even if it involves recalling some cars? — Yes. And for the rest, we will adjust by pushing some OTA upgrades (Tesla’s main software is maintained and upgraded remotely on a regular basis, just like a PC).”

https://electrek.co/2020/07/13/tesla...plains-issues/
and explain to me how this has gone badly for them - they have shipped more EVs than anyone ever and disrupted an entire industry - yes to change things sometime you don't follow in the foot steps of the industry you are disrupting - the reason the industry needs disrupting is it's stuck in it's ways…
Old 07-14-2020 | 05:42 PM
acoste
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche
and explain to me how this has gone badly for them - they have shipped more EVs than anyone ever and disrupted an entire industry - yes to change things sometime you don't follow in the foot steps of the industry you are disrupting - the reason the industry needs disrupting is it's stuck in it's ways…
It is totally against my principles. Car is about safety. Not a toy cellphone. And even if iit was a cellphone I would want to sell well tested products. Even if I sell less.

Quick Reply: Tesla existential threat?