Tesla M3D review: split decision

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2020, 10:08 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,528 Likes on 1,575 Posts

Originally Posted by markchristenson
This has been an interesting thread (I was actually looking for how to tag another user in a post and came across this). I recently bought a M3D and, after a month+ and one road trip (San Diego to Las Vegas), I would agree with petevb and his assessment (although I do not have nearly the track experience, I think I have enough to agree with the "five tenths" comment about the M3D). I also thought the interior weird until I got used to it, and even something like "how do I turn this off?" quickly went the way of the Dodo after a few days. It's a great commuting car, but I would analogize it to using an iPhone as a replacement for a hifi system. Yes, you can listen to the music/drive it, but it's missing the engagement.
Interesting bumping this thread coming back to what I said before. I've now got over 45,000 miles and have changed to a Model 3 Performance. Everything above I noted is still the same. Especially now in the Performance, it's crying out for a "real" suspension.

The TLR is that it makes an amazing commuter / runabout car. Requires almost no sacrifices. Positives outweigh the negatives. But despite the speed (and holy crap it's quick), it's not an enthusiast car.

@daveo4porsche had upgraded suspension on his. Would like to hear his thoughts vs. the Taycan now that he has some seat time.
The following users liked this post:
CarmineGT3 (09-24-2020)
Old 08-03-2020, 01:12 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,616 Likes on 1,768 Posts

the Taycan’s supsension is awesome - stiff enouhg in sports/sports-plus and super smooth in normal/range mode - it’s an airsuspension vs. the springs in the Model 3 - so it’s just ohhhh so good you can hardley stand it. Handleing is hard to compare the two - I’ve yet to track the Taycan - and the Taycan is soo much heavier than the Model 3 I’m not sure how the two compare. the Model 3’s supension is easily fixable with an aftermarket kit and greatly improves the car - but the Taycan’s suspension doesn’t need to be fixed - but the car is bigger and heavier than the Model3P

ride quality in the M3P is adequate but choppy, ride quality in the Taycan is excellent and compliant - handling is really good for a car this big and heavy but it’s no GT3…
The following 2 users liked this post by daveo4porsche:
Needsdecaf (08-03-2020), whiz944 (08-04-2020)
Old 09-23-2020, 07:51 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 704 Likes on 282 Posts

Circling back to this thread: 41,500 miles so far, still without a hitch. My thinking on the car hasn't changed much but charging network has: I saw over 1020 mph charging rate on the newest supercharger the other day- not shabby at all.

I'm not feeling Tesla's updates recently- they keep trying to get me to add 50 hp for $2k with an over the air flash, which doesn't sound very interesting. What does sound interesting is what the aftermarket is up to: some guys have cracked Tesla's software and there are now two hardware/ software upgrades available for my car. The first (google Ingenext for those interested) is a 50 hp boost that's apparently invisible to Tesla's remote snooping (at this time). The second, called "Ghost" is more substantial in that it disables Tesla's remote updates (which I could probably live with). In return it gives you full access to the car's traction and stability control software and unlocks an additional 150 hp, bringing the car slightly above Tesla's own Performance variant (but without the brakes!). This assumes you have a Model 3 D and it happens to have the correct rear motor part number (which mine does). Something I'm keeping an eye on- I'll let others go first and it's not like the car needs another 150 hp without suspension and brakes, but the chassis tuning options cracking the software unlocks sound very interesting to me. My BMW 1M was sideways everywhere and a complete blast as a street car because of it (and completely useless on the track for the same reason). If software tuning 4wd EVs can unlock both types of performance at the flip of a switch along with straight line go that will embarrass cars costing multiples more... All in something that's practical and is still less than 50k with upgraded suspension, etc... At that point I might be starting to warm up to EVs as something more than a simple appliance. We'll see...
The following 3 users liked this post by Petevb:
CarMaven (09-23-2020), daveo4porsche (09-24-2020), W8MM (09-24-2020)

Quick Reply: Tesla M3D review: split decision