Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

SoCal Spyder Drive Part Deux.....

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2016, 03:22 AM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

Gotta love C X X

"One fast beetle" ???? Do I have that translation right? If so, I love it!

And Brewster with the pepita houndstooth is going to be so old school and classic - - entirely in keeping with the zeitgeist of the R. Well played!

From: https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/prod...ory-10718.html

Wolfgang: "The 911 was our family car, without a doubt. My mother always wanted it to be green, and my father also never went for conspicuous colors, also preferring shades such as Oak Green or Brewster Green. I’ve inherited that great fondness for the 911 from my parents, and have driven every succeeding model generation with delight."

From: http://www.9magazine.com/why-was-bre...ed-club-coupe/

"The selected 'Brewster Green' is a tribute to the typical color of the Porsche family cars. What exactly does that mean? Well, members of the Porsche family have traditionally had cars made for them in this unique color for their own private use or collections. And to date, it has never been produced on a factory built car other than through the 'Exclusive Dept.' or by 'paint-to-sample' program over the years."

Really looking forward to more pics in the future of this one-of-a-kind build. Huge congrats
Old 12-11-2016, 09:51 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Unotaz you need to post up some more pics of that beauty! Having said that, I can't forgive you for missing the drive today....well maybe if you drop by next time with the R I'll forgive you.

See you all shortly!
Old 12-11-2016, 06:56 PM
Ferrarisimo
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 77 Posts

Hey, today's meet was awesome. Thanks so much to Afshin for organizing it. It was great to meet everyone, and again, I appreciate you letting me crash (the party, not the car)!

Edit: By the way, I highly encourage all of you to join the Southern California GT4 Owners Group on Facebook. We would love to see more Spyder owners in there, and we always have some kind of meets and events planned. The next big one is a group visit to the PEC on January 21.

Link to the FB group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1544946219156252/

Link to some of the pictures that I've shared with them from today:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1544...2534117064127/

Hope to see you all in there.
Old 12-11-2016, 07:30 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ferrarisimo
It was great to meet everyone, and again, I appreciate you letting me crash (the party, not the car)!
We really appreciate you driving down from LA to join us. That redhead is stunning!

Great job, Afshin, ordering up that perfect weather

Joel, so glad you could carve out time to join us. Safe travels on your return. Wonderful to meet you!

Bob and Jerry, what a pleasure to be sandwiched between your two Spyders for the final leg home.

It was a great 300+ mile day.

Old 12-12-2016, 10:48 AM
Jaybird33
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 22 Posts

Next drive I'm in, work schedule permitting.
Old 12-12-2016, 10:58 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,273 Likes on 586 Posts

WOW! What a GREAT day of driving in Southern California. First off - thanks Afshin for putting together the ride bringing together not one, not two, not three, but FOUR Spyders all in one place. On top up that to have a PTS GT4 in Carmine Red was, well, over the top. Thank you and so great to see you again in your new hood. Kansas City is now but a distant but good memory. Was this the second or third Annual Spyder meet for you and I?

And to Suicide Jockey (Nick) who let me drive his GT Silver over Classic Interior 981 Spyder for 2 hours? You are the best, over the top, new car-guy buddy! Thank you. It is an incredible car. Wow. Driving a car like this is a bad thing for me to do as I start hatching a plan right away. https://porschelangley.com/inventory...etallic+890549

And then to drop from the gen-2 Spyder into the gen-1 with Afshin was so GOOD. The gen-1? Well, enough has been said about the sublime abilities of this car. So direct. So perfect. It's really hard to decide, if you had to make a choice, between the two versions. Like you mentioned Afshin, the ideal scene would be to own both.

And Jerry and Bob - great to meet you guys. Super super nice cars. Well done for snagging those. And to Amer - great to meet you and you friend with your GT4. That is an exceptional car, replete with most excellent stripe.

The drive up through the hills of SoCal? Exceptional. We went from down along and into a valley, then a spirited hill climb up a newly paved, tight, road to 4000 feet and back down again. The Spyder performed brilliantly. It is such a capable car. I've nudged Afshin to post the route on a Google map. So good.

A final comment for me on our ownership of these cars. It brings great people together. As the PCA motto states "It's not just the cars, it's the people". So absolutely true.

So depending on my work travel I may see all of you sometime within the next year but for sure in that first first of December when I attend a conference in San Diego. Jerry and Amar - another mid-drive BLT at the roadside dinner is a must, right?

Thanks again everyone. Cheers!

Joel
PCA Canada West Region President (incoming)

P.s. Don't ever hesitate to look me up if/when you come to Vancouver. I've got cars and roads just waiting for you. Also, my next stop in 2017 will be Orlando. Anyone interested on putting together a drive?

Last edited by Zeus993; 12-13-2016 at 11:49 AM.
Old 12-12-2016, 12:38 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thank you everyone for coming out yesterday and making it another awesome drive! Amer and Bob it was a pleasure meeting you both. Amer I'm not on Facebook but I can use my wife's account to join and get updates on drives. Nick and Jerry it was great seeing you both again as always.

I have to admit I was very worried about the weather but we ended up with the absolute best weather possible. I woke up this Monday morning to heavy cloud cover here in Temecula valley and it looks like Palomar has a heavy layer of clouds so we were lucky!

The drive as always was spectacular! I know I sound repetitive but we are very fortunate to have access to these incredible roads year round.

Joel it was great seeing you again! This was our third meet and yes I still have fond memories of KC but onward and upward. I will definitely take you up on driving the 993 when I make it up to Vancouver!

For everyone locally, I'll try to set something up again in February or March.

I'll try to get my pictures posted later today but Nick already did a wonderful job with his pics.
Old 12-12-2016, 06:48 PM
Ferrarisimo
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Amer I'm not on Facebook but I can use my wife's account to join and get updates on drives.
Sounds good. In the meantime, if you're interested in attending the GT4 group event at the PEC on 1/21, let me know and I'll pass it on to the organizer.

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
For everyone locally, I'll try to set something up again in February or March.
I'm in, and I'd love to check out Mesa Grande next time.

Looking forward to it!
Old 12-12-2016, 07:34 PM
w00tPORSCHE
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 62 Posts

I'm speechless ... Pure awesomeness.
Old 12-16-2016, 01:39 AM
unotaz
Drifting

Received 973 Likes on 424 Posts

Greetings from Germany!

Don't want to hijack this thread, as I will be doing a dedicated post on my car in the GT3/GT3RS/R section when I get back from Germany. But I promised I will post some pictures for you guys (to validate my excuse for not making the drive last Sunday). Here it is my 1 of 1 in North America (one more in Germany belonging to a Porsche family member) Brewster Green 911R:

Brewster Green Exterior Paint to Sample
Wheels painted in Brewster Green with Rhodium Silver pinstripe
Exterior mirrors painted fully in Rhodium Silver
Exterior door handle painted in Rhodium Silver
Front hood painted in Gloss Black
911R stripes in Rhodium Silver with "Porsche" lettering in matching yellow (100-25)
Exterior door triangle trim piece painted in Brewster Green
Color Porsche crest wheel cap
Attached Images     
Old 12-16-2016, 01:53 AM
Ferrarisimo
Burning Brakes

Looks great, Unotaz. Those wheels are a bold choice! Would love to see the car in person when it's finally here.
Old 12-16-2016, 10:04 AM
Joys4me
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, your R looks amazing....Thanks for Sharing!
Old 12-16-2016, 01:49 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

That is an absolutely stunning build. Initially I wasn't sure how the green would look on the car but your blend with the silver truly gives the car a classic aura. Combining that with the throwback interior with buckets will make this a stunning example.

I look forward to seeing it once you have it landed here in the US!
Old 12-16-2016, 02:38 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Unotaz, with these pics all is forgiven for missing our drive!

The sense I'm getting is the R will go down as one of the most highly customer-personalized Porsches. It seems CXX is really getting a workout amongst R owners who are hellbent on sparring no expense to make their cars a very unique one-off, and for that I applaud them! Unotaz' car is a case in point, as is the Steve McQueen inspired R build below. Seems like customized sills are all the rage.

Isn't 11 Cars the Paris shop of the owner of the "Cloud" blue Spyder we all admired? I wonder if this is his build??

Old 12-16-2016, 03:55 PM
unotaz
Drifting

Received 973 Likes on 424 Posts

This car has relatively little CXX options. The customized door sill is the standard customized door sill, which has the preset cutoff area (notice how there is no carbon fiber in the text area). Besides the PTS Slate Grey and the special color stripes, this car is mostly with standard options.

There are a few cars that I know of that have gone to town with their CXX options. One has over 135K in CXX options and the other one has over 155K in CXX options. Both cars includes the "painted 911R stripes"

I couldn't justify the price tag on the painted stripes and bought my wife a diamond ring instead to get on her good side

Originally Posted by Suicide Jockey
Unotaz, with these pics all is forgiven for missing our drive!

The sense I'm getting is the R will go down as one of the most highly customer-personalized Porsches. It seems CXX is really getting a workout amongst R owners who are hellbent on sparring no expense to make their cars a very unique one-off, and for that I applaud them! Unotaz' car is a case in point, as is the Steve McQueen inspired R build below. Seems like customized sills are all the rage.

Quick Reply: SoCal Spyder Drive Part Deux.....